Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

applying to unis

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
if i'm looking at 2008 entry when do i need to start applying?
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    before december
    does it matter how soon before december?
    and how exactly do i go about doing it?

(sorry i'm sure there are loads of threads like this but i can't get my head around this right now)
    between sept-dec 2007
    you can only apply via ucas
    http://www.ucas.co.uk
    Applications open very early September, and close end of January. It is generally thought that earlier is better though, they get more time to read your application if you get it to them before they are swamped.

Will you be in 6th form/college September this year? If you are it should be pretty straight forward. If your not you'll have to look into applying independantly. A couple of people on here have done it and it's not too bad. The UCAS site should answer most of your questions (with an awful lot of patience).
    You can normally apply from September 1st for entry the following year, so there's no rush to get your application in just yet. Use this time to think about what you need to do, what to write, who to get a reference from, etc.
    I didnt apply until june last year and still got my place and student loan fine, the others are right though you probably are better off applying as soon as possible
    icey wrote: »
    I didnt apply until june last year and still got my place and student loan fine, the others are right though you probably are better off applying as soon as possible

:yes: if you miss the official deadlines you can always apply through clearing if any spaces are left, which happens when you get your a level results through
    I didn't apply through UCAS because I just didn't. I phoned up the Uni and ta da. I can't even remember filling out any forms, though I must have at some stage.
    katralla wrote: »
    I didn't apply through UCAS because I just didn't. I phoned up the Uni and ta da. I can't even remember filling out any forms, though I must have at some stage.
    For those who are still in college, doing the application via UCAS is normally the only way. For those applying who have left the education system, there are two options. If wanting to apply to several universities, stick to UCAS. If only wanting to apply for the one, contact the university in question directly. Many now allow this.