Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

New Phone Contract

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hey people

I'm currently on o2 and get 300mins a month and 750txts a month for £30

I ALWAYS go over my allowance so I'm thinking of changing to Orange when my contract runs out next month as you can get unlimited texts, and that's what I use most.

What I want to know is... Am I better going through somewhere like Phones4U or the Carphone Warehouse or through Orange itself?

I dont understand the difference and the pros and cons

Anyone Help?

Cheers x

Comments

• Options
    thats a bit steep.. for £35 i get 600 messages and 600 minutes to use during the week .. weekends are free .. i use the phone quite a lot myself and am always letting other people use it and still havent managed to go over the limit

also helps that any leftover minutes get added on to the next month :)

threaten to leave!

edit: just read over and realised you said you use texts mostly .. iirc there was another option for less minutes and lots more texts ! .. o2 btw!
  • Options
    There isn't one way thats always better than another, best bet is to have a hunt and see who has what offers going. Be warned what they have online and in the shops won't match.

Its also worth checking out PAYG rewards because you can often get loads of texts off those.
  • Options
    Haha, I'm training to work in o2's call centre so I've been learning about all the tariffs today :thumb:

I'd give o2 a call if I was you, you'll maybe be eligible for an upgrade which would be your best bet. Tell them that you go over your allowance but don't really want to spend any more than you are doing - they can mix and match and put together something for you that you probably won't get anywhere else.

You'll maybe be eligible for something called o2 treats too (free text bundles etc) so be sure to ask about that too :)
  • Options
    I get 750 anytime any network minutes and 750 msgs a month for £35 with o2 online
  • Options
    Bri-namite wrote: »
    You'll maybe be eligible for something called o2 treats too (free text bundles etc) so be sure to ask about that too :)

I thought that was a PAYG thing?

I think the best thing would be to shop around, but I don't know much about any of the deals around now.
  • Options
    The flexitime on t-mobile is good. you get £180 in credit every month for £30 or £35
  • Options
    Bri-namite wrote: »
    Haha, I'm training to work in o2's call centre so I've been learning about all the tariffs today :thumb:

I'd give o2 a call if I was you, you'll maybe be eligible for an upgrade which would be your best bet. Tell them that you go over your allowance but don't really want to spend any more than you are doing - they can mix and match and put together something for you that you probably won't get anywhere else.

thanks for the advice, but unless they can offer my unlimited texts which i doubt they will, i'm off haha

i'm ringing up to cancel this time next month so i'll see what they say anyhoo

i get o2 treats but thats only 40 txts a month which doesnt make a lot of difference

thanks chick x
  • Options
    Just a tip, you'll need to give your company about 1 months notice before you quit your contact with them, and send it in writing via registered post. I had a load of shit with Vodafone because they "never received my letter".

By the way, 3 are doing a deal at the moment, 500 minutes cross network calls or 600 texts and 75 anytime any network minutes for £15 p/m for life.
  • Options
    Makoto wrote: »
    Just a tip, you'll need to give your company about 1 months notice before you quit your contact with them, and send it in writing via registered post. I had a load of shit with Vodafone because they "never received my letter".

By the way, 3 are doing a deal at the moment, 500 minutes cross network calls or 600 texts and 75 anytime any network minutes for £15 p/m for life.

yeah i know, i emailed o2 and they said i have to ring up on the 23rd june in order to cancel....heard lots of bad things about voa! did u get it sorted?

and thanks for the heads up, but i wouldnt touch 3 with a barge pole haha x
  • Options
    Makoto wrote: »

My boyfriends just got that. After them arsing him about abit last month, I'm surprised to say they're being pretty good. :)

Sorry to hijack the thread a little, but how do I know when the exact date is I can cancel my contract? I know mines not for a couple of months, but I too am sick of o2, so will be looking for someone new. Do I just call them up and shout at them til they tell me? (could SO do that this morning haha)
  • Options
    Do you know the month Nikki? if you do then it should be the date when you receive your bill. (I think)

If I'm wrong, then just ring up O2 and see what they say.
  • Options
    Sofie wrote: »
    Do you know the month Nikki? if you do then it should be the date when you receive your bill. (I think)

If I'm wrong, then just ring up O2 and see what they say.

Ermmm, well I first signed up to them in August. But then last year they told me it was July. O2 are weird. I might ring them and shout at them, normally makes me day heehee.

ETA: Haha, rang and shouted. "Well I can't make any changes today for you, but if you ring me on this extension number on the 16th of July, I will double your minutes and texts for you, and we'll send you out a new phone". Bless his little heart.
  • Options
    littleali: if you do that contract online, you get an extra 50 minutes per month. It's the one I have and I lovelovelove it.

Although be warned: if you get read receipts for your text messages, then they DO cost you money, as do (afaik) multimedia messages.
  • Options
    Franki wrote: »
    littleali: if you do that contract online, you get an extra 50 minutes per month. It's the one I have and I lovelovelove it.

Although be warned: if you get read receipts for your text messages, then they DO cost you money, as do (afaik) multimedia messages.

cheers kid, like i said, not really bothered about the minutes

and for ur second point, my mate learned the hard way haha, she sent 184 messages @ 9p per delivery report....gutted

so did u get yours online? i'm just undecided about how to go about it :(

how do u find the customer service? or have u not had to use it yet? x
  • Options
    Nikki* wrote: »
    ETA: Haha, rang and shouted. "Well I can't make any changes today for you, but if you ring me on this extension number on the 16th of July, I will double your minutes and texts for you, and we'll send you out a new phone". Bless his little heart.

They will always try to do this.
  • Options
    Lol yeah, but they've never done it for me before. I always get told "well you can purchase add on packages". So I'm quite pleased with this result. Especially seeing as I'm not due a new phone til the 16th of August. :D
  • Options
    I've got the O2 online contract, I get 500 minutes and 1000 texts for 30squid. It's brill. :thumb:
  • Options
    The current offer on Orange PAYG is:

300 free texts if you top up £10
    600 free texts if you top up £20
    and 1000 free texts if you top up £30. (~ 30 texts a day)

Topping that up by £30 a month would probably cover all the texts and calls you'll want, and if it doesn't suit you then you're not tied to it.

Or on the 18 month contracts, unlimited anytime texts and 200 mins for £30, or 600 for £35.

That's on Dolphin on their website. I've had things off there before and never a problem.
  • Options
    1000 free texts if you top up £30. (~ 30 texts a day)

Topping that up by £30 a month would probably cover all the texts and calls you'll want, and if it doesn't suit you then you're not tied to it.

i'd prefer contract as i could do with a new phone

and sometimes *feels ashamed* I DO go over 1000 txts a month

thanks for looking into it though Scary x
    Or on the 18 month contracts, unlimited anytime texts and 200 mins for £30, or 600 for £35.

That's on Dolphin on their website. I've had things off there before and never a problem.

thats the one i'm looking at gettting x
  • Options
    Hey, what?! NotthatIneedthem, but the bastards have upped the free minutes on the contract I'm supposed to be one. Whatthefuck?!

Bastards.
  • Options
    It'd be worth ringing them up and seeing if they'll up it if you want them
  • Options
    I just did it online :yes:.

Although I do still need to ring them anyway >.<