Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

university accomodation

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
Ok, I've just filled in my university accomodation form and sent it off. But typically I left it too late, and the accomodation I wanted was no longer available :( . I had to put in four choices, only 2 of which I'd really be happy staying in.

Is there anyway that accomodation that is already taken will become available again? Some people that will have applied may not end up going to that university after the results, so wouldn't that free some places up? Also, any kinda guesses how likely it is that I will get my first choice?

:banghead: argh, i'm so annoyed I left it late, I didn't think it would fill up that quickly!
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    In my experience there has always been some cancellations and a nice chunk of people who left during the year. For example in my first year we started with 8 and very quickly had 6 and finally finished with 5.
  • Options
    Yeah, there will be loads of 'spaces' becoming available. Some people just wont be going to uni anymore for whatever reason. Others will leave after a week/fortnight/month.

If I was you, I would go to the uni accommodation office, and make sure they are aware as soon as a space comes available where you want to stay they let you know. I would also have a word with the accommodation manager in the halls you want to be, and give them your contact number should anything become available.

:thumb:
  • Options
    yeah. as as been said people drop out and their places become vacant.
    tho' universities an be a complete arse if you want to move if you've already taken up a space elsewhere.
  • Options
    Its too late in May??Thought the deadline would be much later than this.
  • Options
    I'm assuming you will be a Fresher in September? If you tell us which uni then there will probably be someone who knows a bit more about it.

Usually accomodation is allocated to freshers vaguely based on their preferences on the accomodation application. For the time being go along with it, wait until you get your place confirmed and you know what you've been allocated. Then see if you are happy with that or if you want to get in touch with the accomodation office and find out about other spaces.
  • Options
    Ask the uni to put you on a waiting list for the places you would be happy with, we had loads of people coming and going from our halls who'd dropped out or weren't happy. Failing that, wait and see until you get there. I've lived i some ****holes but with ace people so its not been too bad. When you get there, if you're still not happy, keep asking them until they move you :0
  • Options
    Presumably you won't be interested in rooms that become available during the term because to move you will then have to find someone to move into whatever accommodation you take up or pay for the rest of the term and pay for the new place.

As to rooms becoming available before term starts, it is fairly rare, does happen but there's usually a long waiting list for this as well. Usually your first choice will be everyone elses as well.

Are there no privately run halls around? I didn't get my 1st choice when I applied and ended up miles away from uni in some small hall that looked grotty and horrid. Decided to turn the university down when I found private halls, that although not as nice as my 1st choice had been were 110% better than what I'd been offered and actually only 2 mins walk from my building at uni.
  • Options
    When I went to London Met, I went through clearing so missed all the available accom. So, I went to the accom people and was put into the last remaining halls places and also asked to be put on the waiting list for my 1st choice accom. The next day I got a call saying I've been transferred to my 1st choice accom, and it was so so much nicer than the first lot I saw.

So yeah, don't panic, there's usually cancellations and people quit so don't worry about it, get your name on the reserves list.