Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Should these three words be banned from music?

2»

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Namaste wrote: »
    The whole misogyny and the use of the words "bitches" and "ho" and talking about acts of violence towards women is also distrubing. Even if these rappers are not misogynist at all in person, it's what their lyrics say really.. Bearing in mind people of low intelligence and kids are likely listening to this music.

What's that supposed to mean?

On the use of the n word. The likes of Richard Pryor were using that word to refer to fellow black people in his shows before rap music became popular, so I don't know why rap gets such a bad rap for it (if you'll pardon the pun). It was the whole of black culture that claimed that word back, so I don't get how after 30-odd years, it's suddenly a taboo word.
    It doesn't have the same meaning to everyone though. Some people use it in the Chris Rock sense (a black person who conforms to the stereotype, i.e. pimping, mugging, dealing).
    Namaste wrote: »
    Bearing in mind people of low intelligence and kids are likely listening to this music.

Excuse me?!? :eek2:
    Blagsta wrote: »
    It doesn't have the same meaning to everyone though. Some people use it in the Chris Rock sense (a black person who conforms to the stereotype, i.e. pimping, mugging, dealing).

Yeah Chris Rock ironically uses it to refer to the very people who are likely to use it to refer to each other. He's basically trying to seperate all the negative stereotypes from the general black population, which is kinda the same thing that is behind the suggestion in this article.

Chris Rock on rap music.

Chris Rock uses the word loosely and liberally. He uses it both as a reference to the stereotype as well as to fellow black people.
  • Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    Littleali wrote: »
    awwww was hoping the words would be "i love you" and "yes i do" :(
    It wouldn't be a bad idea to ban these from music, really. Singers would be forced to find something else to sing about than the same things again and again. :p
    Chris Rock uses the word loosely and liberally. He uses it both as a reference to the stereotype as well as to fellow black people.

I remember the shock I felt when a black friend of mine said "The problem with Brixton is that there are too many niggers". She was using it in the Chris Rock sense.
    Excuse me?!? :eek2:

I mean people who don't understand he's taking the piss, or people who will take it further... Thugs?
  • Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    JOHNNY REBEL LOL.

Thats what I am going to say in this topic.
    katchika wrote: »
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/6586787.stm

The founder of Def Jam records has called for the words ho, bitch and nigger to be banned from songs. What do you think?

No! Freedom of expression, innit?
    Teh_Gerbil wrote: »
    JOHNNY REBEL LOL.

Thats what I am going to say in this topic.

otherwise known as David Allan Coe!