Home Drink & Drugs
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

taking the plunge

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
ok.. after thinking it over for a while ive decided that i need to stop smoking cannabis .. i have a very bad addiction to it and im fed up with my life revolving around it for the most part

i can go without the rest of the drugs easily enough, even the cravings for alcohol aren't as bad

soooo ... anything anyone can add? links to information on the web? any recommended books etc? past experiences etc etc

any info is appreciated.. i need to kick this bastard of a habit and i need to kick it soon!

cheers in advance :thumb:

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I just stopped smoking it when i did after having a bad "whitey".
    never looked back really.
    i've never had a whitey over all these years! theres a wee psychological trick to it :)

its a real cunt of a habit tho.. i want to be able to go asleep normally (i have to have a smoke at night to even think about going to sleep) ..

then theres the money wasted and the irritability when there isnt any!

sick of the stuff!!!!
    I know what its like. I never found cannabis addictive in the same way as cigarettes but if i knew i could get my hands on some; I would do.

I managed to stop by moving away from my dealer :D I don't know anyone that sells it where I live now. Not suggesting you move away but you need to keep yourself busy doing other things. I used to smoke because I was bored. If i had something to do or somewhere to be I wouldn't even think about smoking. Keep yourself busy, maybe take up and activity you don't do now (football, swimming etc) and try and fill your time in.

You will get the worst insomnia though once you try and give up. I had it bad for about 2 weeks. I was so used to sleeping because I was cained. :p Took a couple of weeks for my body to accept it, but prepare for a few sleepless nights if your addicted.

Good luck

:thumb:
    aye ive got a few things im going to attempt taking up my time with

the whole 'move away from dealer' isnt really any use to me.. and its not just dealers that the problem is with .. more or less every single one of my friends smokes the stuff .. suppose the obvious thing there is get new friends.. but no way is that happening! wouldnt give those boys up in a million years!

im a terrible sleeper as it is, but im used to stayin awake for stupid periods of time.. so hopefully ill be able to stick it out

god, the thought of this is intimidating :(
    z- wrote: »
    aye ive got a few things im going to attempt taking up my time with

the whole 'move away from dealer' isnt really any use to me.. and its not just dealers that the problem is with .. more or less every single one of my friends smokes the stuff .. suppose the obvious thing there is get new friends.. but no way is that happening! wouldnt give those boys up in a million years!

im a terrible sleeper as it is, but im used to stayin awake for stupid periods of time.. so hopefully ill be able to stick it out

god, the thought of this is intimidating :(

Yeah I wasn't suggesting you move away :D . It only worked for me because I was moving anyway. I used to live in a house with my mates who smoked, I know it is hard to give up when others around you aren't.

Try with the keeping yourself busy part of it, that sounds like the best option. Also keep a track of all the money you have saved because you aren't spending it on green and save it in a jar. Then use the money for a holiday, dvd's, clothes or something good, it sometimes only when you see the money infront of you, you realise how much we spend.

Your sleeping will get better after about 2 weeks. I found I wasn't able to sleep at all. In the end you might have to try some Sleepezz or something to help you catch some Zzzzz.

:thumb:
    z- wrote: »
    i've never had a whitey over all these years! theres a wee psychological trick to it :)

:no: Me neither.

Ahh, psychological addiction to Cannabis...prehaps the hardest drug addiction to get out of, yet few realise it.
    I know what you mean, smoking weed becomes as regular as smoking cigarettes or having a cup of coffee...you don't even really see it as a 'drug' anymore... yet it turns people into paranoid insomniacs unless they have a smoke before bed. Definately a hard addiction to boot...not on the same level as harder drugs but something that becomes part of your life and is incredinly difficult to give up. I've got a few mates going through what you're going through, good luck mate! :thumb: I don't know any numbers or anything but talk to me on msn or something if you need to. Prehaps some of the tactics that I've used to give up Coke will apply for you too?
    Good luck to ya fella. I never found it too hard to stop blow, never got into a habit thing for me like smoking it to get to bed. I suppose it's one of those things you have to phase out of, can't just smoke one day and quit the next. Dunno how to go about doing that though.
    indeed. giving up a long-term cannabis habit is quite a challenging thing to do.

My advice? Keep youself busy, get properly stuck in to things you enjoy and immerse yourself in anything you find enjoyable. Don't give yourself the opportunity to sit down in front of the playstation (or whatever) with time to kill thinking 'god i could murder a bifda'.

Good luck, the rewards will be generous :)
    I tanned weed solidly for a year nearly. My dealer, lets just say, lived close by, so it was all too easy to get a 10/20 bag everyday. I got a bit dependent on it like yourself. One day though, I realized, smoking all this weed, fucked with my head, my life, I started thinking differently, getting paranoid, getting lazy and when you start thinking that about something, it isn't worth doing anymore. I stopped abruptly at that point.

I only smoke when I'm pissed or pie high on E and its never my weed because I don't buy anymore :) Now you've realized its getting on ya tits, its the time to quit, and you'll feel a shit lot better for doing so. Like I did :thumb:
    How often do you smoke it? Would make a differece on how much it affects you stopping. I used to only have it 1/2 times a week.
    to put it simply, you have to stop associating yourself so much with the people and places that lead you to form a habit, in order to break it....i found when i left uni everything calmed down a bit, full time job took up a lot of time, i didn't have such easy access to it (and I made a conscious effort not to acquaint myself with any new dealers), i wasn't living in a house full of stoners and saw less of my uni mates then i used to, life moves on....i tried to quit a few times before but it never worked as i didn't change my social habits, that is the key.

obviously you will need new things in your life to keep you busy, for me that is reading, exercising a lot more (this is a good one), learning spanish/economics/ccna, a steady 9-5, travelling, and i won't lie booze does help when i want to unwind on the weekend, but i don't need a shot of whisky or a few beers to get me to sleep at night...
    Box wrote: »
    I tanned weed solidly for a year nearly. My dealer, lets just say, lived close by, so it was all too easy to get a 10/20 bag everyday. I got a bit dependent on it like yourself. One day though, I realized, smoking all this weed, fucked with my head, my life, I started thinking differently, getting paranoid, getting lazy and when you start thinking that about something, it isn't worth doing anymore. I stopped abruptly at that point.

You just described what happened to me and why I stopped. :thumb:
    Tweety wrote: »
    How often do you smoke it? Would make a differece on how much it affects you stopping. I used to only have it 1/2 times a week.

several times a day.. for years
    getting lazy and when you start thinking that about something, it isn't worth doing anymore

thats the worst part .. the lethargy .. you get all these brilliant plans/ideas and never bother your arse doing them!
    Maybe you should cut down first then?
    ive been attempting that but in reality it doesnt seem to work too well

still leaves all the underlying problems!

im just gonna pick a date and stop on that day... and spend the time before that date planning things to do to take my mind off the stuff!

this should be fun :shocking:
    good luck mate.

sorry but this thread made me wanna roll a joinrt andim away to do that..been parting sinec sat nute...heads up the jockesey.?><SD
    -kenny- wrote: »
    Just read that made me laugh... (saturday nute)

I wasn't laughing the next day let me tell you that. :o
    wouldnt mind knocking the smoke on the head for a while myslef...been flat out lately and find myself in a bad mood when i dont have any...gonna try and stay of it this summer...
    -kenny- wrote: »
    All too common it's the worst ever and the easy way seems to be to keep on smoking

Havent had a smoke in a few days now and im itching for some the night!:shocking: :crazyeyes