Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Finding a new place - what to do?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
So we're flathunting and I've found a group of people...

Anyway, I've been looking really hard and already found us three viewings, however I am unsure of whether I will fit in.

See one of the people we're moving in with is in a couple and her bf will be over constantly and the other two are a couple and very couply. I noticed yesterday, how cuddly everyone is and it makes me feel a bit uncomfortable... I can just imagine watching TV with couples being all soppy...

Another thing which annoys me is that one of them insists on having the biggest room (even though I found the places, she says "ok, as long as I can have the biggest room"). It's annoying because two of them won't live anywhere near a council estate, demand double beds and have to be close to university...

One of them keeps on asking about stupidly expensive places which i can't even dream of affording and I'm worried that because two of them are loaded, they'll be liberal with wasting electricity (one of their current flatmates says she rucks up huge bills and doesn't turn light off).

The thing is, am I being too fussy? I'm very laid back and all... But with people who are so particular and picky? And with couples?

They're my mates too, I love 'em to pieces.... Don't wanna let 'em down but now a fifth once to move in... Cannot fnd a five bed which fits their specification anywhere... I'm happy with a roof and a toilet tbh...

So I'm thinking about finding other people... Is this betrayal?
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    See what happens at the viewings. If you're happy with them, but they're not, then you've fulfilled any obligation you may have had, and can go look for other flatmates with a clear conscience.

I don't suppose the person who wants the biggest room would go for splitting the rent in proportion to the square footage of the bedrooms people have?
  • Options
    There's one thing having friends and getting along and there's one thing living with friends.
    I learnt the hard way. Only really live with people that you think will be ideal, even then it's hard to tell.
  • Options
    Sod betrayal. Find somewhere by yourself and you can go and visit your friends as and when you feel like it.
  • Options
    There are friends and then there are people who work well living together and they are not necessarily the same people.

If its causing you problems now I hate to think what it will be like next year. Lots of people switch around who they look for houses with so don't feel bad about it.
  • Options
    By the sounds of it, the decisions already made. You obviously dont think that they're reliable enough/suitable enough to live with....so id look for elsewhere. Ultimately, you need people you can depend on for bills, keeping a civil house. And the money wasting, coupley couples doesnt sound like either of them to me.
    Plus, why would you want to move in with (essentially) two couples....without being too blunt, thats a lot of sex to have goin on around, its bad enough in halls!
  • Options
    Yeah... Being the single one with two couples around constantly... ick.

I don't feel comfortable with PDAs... I have found somebody else (who occasionally posts here actually) to live with.... Hopefully.
  • Options
    katchika wrote: »
    Sod betrayal. Find somewhere by yourself and you can go and visit your friends as and when you feel like it.

i rekon it'd be tough by yourself esp. financially.
    it isn't betrayal. you've got to spend a year of your life with these people, you need to know you're going to get on and be happy as a group.
    do whatever feels right for you not what pleases everyone else.
  • Options
    katchika wrote: »
    Agreed. Remember how miserable I was when I compromised and moved in with my best friend and it went tits up? Better to find other people now.
  • Options
    Told them... One girl said she they do feel betrayed in a way but that's the wrong word and that I have to live for myself and there's no hard feelings.I think the couple are both confused... But it's all good.