Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Masterfoods products to contain animal rennet

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/6653175.stm

Just thought I'd bring this up, although the thing that got me really, I mean REALLY miffed was the ridiculous cynicism and ignorance of the Masterfood's Spokesperson.
"If the customer is an extremely strict vegetarian, then we are sorry the products are no longer suitable, but a less strict vegetarian should enjoy our chocolate," said Paul Goalby, corporate affairs manager for Masterfoods.

What the hell does that mean? Whether anyone on here is veggie or not, I am sure most of us can agree that one of the prerequisites of being Veggie is that you don't eat stuff containing bits of animal. The use of the word extreme is a cynical PR exercise designed to spin this as something that is only going to to inconvenience the most extreme-ranks of the salad-munching Taliban.

A less strict veggie? Oh that would be a meat eater then...

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I don't eat rennet - limit myself to cheese, etc., produced without.

And I've just discovered Mars Planets. And I try not to eat Nestlé... that leaves me with only Cadbury chocolate. :(
    There are actually people out there who are not vegetarians for ethical reasons, but on health or personal taste grounds. My girlfriend is one of them- she doesn't like the taste, look or texture of meat so she doesn't eat it. But she will happily eat products that have animal fat or other contents in them.
    I'm no veggie but I'd much prefer My chocolate without bits of cow's stomachs.

Surely their sale are going to go down??
    Aladdin wrote: »
    There are actually people out there who are not vegetarians for ethical reasons, but on health or personal taste grounds. My girlfriend is one of them- she doesn't like the taste, look or texture of meat so she doesn't eat it. But she will happily eat products that have animal fat or other contents in them.

Same here, also because i have issues around meat, and food in general from when i was a kid.
    My sister was the same. We used to have gravy made from beef fat with the Sunday Roast and she used to have that, but would have nutcutlets or something instead of Beef.

I'm more interested in this
    Masterfoods said the change was due to it switching the sourcing of its ingredients and the admission was a "principled decision" on its part.

I certainly don't hold that meat is murder, but I'm struggling to think of a principle where meat is ethically superior to vegetarianism...

ETA
    "Mars products are very popular with young people and many will be shocked to discover that their manufacture now relies on the extraction of rennet from the stomach lining of young calves," it added.

Unless it's to stop teenage obesity...
    Aladdin

Yeah I thought this after posting it, I am aware of this as my auntie is one. Perhaps I should have made this clearer at the outset, but my contention is this; portraying veggies who don't eat bits of dead animal as 'extremely strict' is a misleading and unfair characterisation.
    Yeah I agree with that. The majority of vegetarians avoid all forms of animal food and it is wrong to suggest it is only the 'strict' ones who do. It sounds like a load of bollocks from Masterfoods PR department.
    And not just vegetarians ... Jews, Muslims and Hindus (amongst others) will be omitted as their customers. Talk about short-sightedness!!! :rolleyes:

Then she isn't vegetarian. :confused:
    Strictly speaking she might not qualify as a vegetarian, but for practical purposes (i.e. when ordering food in a restaurant or going round to some friends' for dinner) she calls herself a vegetarian. I.e. she's telling people she does not eat meat or fish.

It might be technically wrong but the every day use of the term tends to be applied to those who abstain from eating meat or fish.

I know a fair amount of veggies, many of whom are so for ethical reasons, but I don't recall any of them refusing to drink certain brands of lager because they are not vegetarian. Does that make them any less veggie? Try telling them that... :D
    If you have any Mars Bars kicking about, check the BBE date on the label. If it's before 1.Oct.2007, then you have one of the non-animal ones. Despite me buying my Mars Bar 2 weeks ago, mine is 28.Oct.2007, so I have one of the new ones.
    I was under the impression that masterfoods chocolate produced outside of the UK contained animal-derived whey anyway, so I've never eaten it, but this is a really stupid move, why would you want to lose more potential customers for an ingredient that doesn't have to be animal based?

http://www.petitiononline.com/MarsWhey/petition.html

There is always a petition to sign!
    FireFly85 wrote: »
    Why would you want to lose more potential customers for an ingredient that doesn't have to be animal based?

http://www.petitiononline.com/MarsWhey/petition.html

There is always a petition to sign!

As much as I couldn't give a toss if it contains animal products, I have to agree. Why switch to an animal based product and reduce your potential market. They only reason I can think of must be cost. :thumb:

I will sign the petition though :D
    This sucks :mad:
    I think it's ridiculous, I'm vegetarian and there is just no need to put animal stomach in chocolate bars.
    Heinz have started putting Omega 3 fish oils in alot of their products as well...it really gets to me, products which were originally vegetarian products being made non-vegetarian for no good reason :mad:
    Strictly speaking she might not qualify as a vegetarian, but for practical purposes (i.e. when ordering food in a restaurant or going round to some friends' for dinner) she calls herself a vegetarian. I.e. she's telling people she does not eat meat or fish.

It might be technically wrong but the every day use of the term tends to be applied to those who abstain from eating meat or fish.

I know a fair amount of veggies, many of whom are so for ethical reasons, but I don't recall any of them refusing to drink certain brands of lager because they are not vegetarian. Does that make them any less veggie? Try telling them that... :D
    Technically it would violate their vegetarianism. Strictly speaking, a vegetarian is somebody who refuses point blank to consume products derived from the slaughter of animals. So Isinglass and gelatine are animal products seeing as cows and fish are animals.

That may piss a lot of veggies off, it's like vegans who occasionally eat cheese. Ethical veg*ns get annoyed because it dilutes the cause, or blurs exactly what a veg*n is. Back when I lived a vegetarian lifestyle, it pissed me off big style that I would go to a restaurant and the "vegetarian" meals would contain animal products like rennet and even fish meat. People need to be more precise about what a veg*n is because otherwise you can live a lifestyle and not realise you are eating animal products and that's pretty unfair.

To say "I'm a vegetarian but eat fish/gelatine/rennet" is like saying "I'm not racist, but I dislike Pakistanis".

I am not saying that there is anything wrong with people not going the whole hog... But for fuck's sake don't wear a label if you aren't sticking to it. Some good is better than no good, but if you're not veg*n, you shouldn't be strutting around saying it because it looks cool or you haven't even bothered to research what the term actually means.
    However you have to admit that for the purpose of going to a restaurant or telling friends of one's dietary requirements for a forthcoming dinner it is very convenient and technically right to say you are vegetarian. Claiming you are a vegetarian for ethical reasons if you are not is a different matter of course.

But like it or not the term has been adopted by many people who are not veggies for moral reasons and who don't care much if their pint of lager is classed as 'vegetarian' or not.
    Namaste wrote: »
    but if you're not veg*n, you shouldn't be strutting around saying it because it looks cool or you haven't even bothered to research what the term actually means.

Isn't a vegan basically someone who has nothing to do with animals? As in, they won't wear anything made from animal fur/skin and won't drink animal milk or any products made from animal milk.
    To say "I'm a vegetarian but eat fish/gelatine/rennet" is like saying "I'm not racist, but I dislike Pakistanis".

:yes: There's someone I know who claims to be a vegetarian but will eat chicken.:rolleyes:
    Sofie wrote: »
    :yes: There's someone I know who claims to be a vegetarian but will eat chicken.:rolleyes:

One of the girls I went to Peru with, when everyone was asked if they were vegetarian, said "I'm sort of vegetarian, but I do eat bacon and sausages".

So...no then.
    Sofie wrote: »
    Isn't a vegan basically someone who has nothing to do with animals? As in, they won't wear anything made from animal fur/skin and won't drink animal milk or any products made from animal milk.
    Sorry... Yeah, I mean 'veg*n' as an unbrella term for both vegetarian lifestyles and vegan, raw foodist, fruitarian ect. The star replaces the 'etari' in vegetarian.

A vegan lifestyle (vegan, not veg*n) is a lifestyle which rejects animal exploitation. So yeah, no meat, dairy, eggs, honey, wool, silk, shellac ect.

if it comes from an animal, or is tested on animals... It won't be a part of a vegan lifestyle (although the medicine debate is a whooooole different story).
    However you have to admit that for the purpose of going to a restaurant or telling friends of one's dietary requirements for a forthcoming dinner it is very convenient and technically right to say you are vegetarian. Claiming you are a vegetarian for ethical reasons if you are not is a different matter of course.

But like it or not the term has been adopted by many people who are not veggies for moral reasons and who don't care much if their pint of lager is classed as 'vegetarian' or not.
    A lot of things go on in the world, but the fact they happen doesn't make things right. Tbh, I find these people less annoying because it doesn't affect other people so bad... It's when prawn cocktails are seen as vegetarian dishes which is annoying. I know vegetarians who wear leather and use camera films. I think it's a huge debate, but with vegetarianism less of an issue than with veganism because veganism will be because of ethics or religion, not because of taste or health (or poverty lol).

The beer debate is difficult, but tbh... With so many veg*n beers around, why not
    I'm not a veg*n but to use animal products in foods that don't needit and would apper to be veg is weird. Like cheese and onion crisps, or chocolate, why not just make them veg?
    A lot of things go on in the world, but the fact they happen doesn't make things right. Tbh, I find these people less annoying because it doesn't affect other people so bad... It's when prawn cocktails are seen as vegetarian dishes which is annoying. I know vegetarians who wear leather and use camera films. I think it's a huge debate, but with vegetarianism less of an issue than with veganism because veganism will be because of ethics or religion, not because of taste or health (or poverty lol).

The beer debate is difficult, but tbh... With so many veg*n beers around, why not
    Out of curiosity, what is the issue with camera films? Do they actually have animal products in them?
    Out of curiosity, what is the issue with camera films? Do they actually have animal products in them?

Yup, gelatine... I assume this is also an issue with film rolls too which poses the question, should veg*ns be going to the cinema? As some of the money you pay to the cinema obviously filters through to the company which makes the cameras and then later to the company which provides the slaughterhouse biproducts to make the film... Unless I am being stupid and companies like Odeon use digital means now?
    No they don't. Even entirely digital productions get transferred to film for viewing purposes. There are some digital cinemas, and they're getting more common.
    No they don't. Even entirely digital productions get transferred to film for viewing purposes. There are some digital cinemas, and they're getting more common.
    Ahh fair 'nuff...

I also read that car tyres can have animal products in.
    UPDATE: Masterfood reverses their decision

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/6673549.stm

fucking get in :D

"6000 people bombarded them with email and phone complaints in a week."

I was one voice in 6000 but i do feel a little :yippe: :yippe: :yippe:
    Hurrah!
    That's good to know :thumb:

It really annoys me when food gets messed about with.

Presumably some of the non-vegetarian mars products are still on the shelves though, I wonder when we'll know for sure that the mars bar we buy at our local garage is not contaminated with dead animal?
    Sorry... Yeah, I mean 'veg*n' as an unbrella term for both vegetarian lifestyles and vegan, raw foodist, fruitarian ect. The star replaces the 'etari' in vegetarian.

I thought you were using the asterisk as the word "vegan" was somehow offensive to you! :hyper: