Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Kick up the arse please

2»

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Ah cool :)

I just get nervous as soon as I click 'apply' I will be obligated :| and then bad things will happen! Or something...

Going to apply now :)
    Cool, we'll I've sent some out.

One I'm pondering over is a night job. Working for DHL, basically planning and printing routes for the drivers the next day. Not sure whether I want to work nights though (although it is well paid)
    How many nights? or every night a week?

It depends what your social life is like at home, if you're stuck like me with relatively few mates around then shifts are less of a problem, if the only time you are likely to see anyone is evenings then it's less good.

You're not obligated for anything until you agree to the job, applying doesn't oblige you to do anything.
    6 nights a week, monday to saturday, contracted to 47.5 hours.

Might be a bit burnt out by the time I go uni lol. But popping applications in should be ok. Now I've got into the swing of things it's quite uplifting.

My biggest fear is that reed turns out to be rubbish and nobody ever contacts me. I was told they're good though *shrug*
    Am signed up witha couple of agencies and have been applying to jobs, but mostly they just bump you through other agencies anyway.

Gone onto www.iwantextra.co.uk as they were saying they wanted applicants, and then they said I'd have to meet sales targets. Not sure I can do it, I'm always telling people to go to moneysavingexpert and then instead selling them loans even if I knew they'd be better off elsewhere.. I'd feel a bit like a crook, doing it for my own ends.

Hopefully the JCB painting job will go through ok, nice simple honest work :)
    Here's a question though:

practically every non-dead end job says you need experience doing accounts / admin / secretarial work. How does the average joe break into such a market?

I'm happy with a dead end minimum wage job for the next 5 months though tbh :)
    Start at the bottom and work your way up. Start by doing temp work in that sort of field. Take some kind of vocational course in it.

All just suggestions; I don't have experience in any of these areas.

Enjoy your dead end job. Sometimes they're the best ones cos you don't bring your work home with you.
    I went to a temping agency the other day, and they had loads of Polish guys there who had someone in the agency speaking to them in Polish because their English was sketchy at best. BNP are rubbing their hands furiously... then I happen to overhear they have years and years (like, since they were 14 or something) of experience doing welding and electronics and all sorts of jobs like that.

Since I was 14 my main pasttime has been the internet. :(
    Loopi wrote: »
    Enjoy your dead end job. Sometimes they're the best ones cos you don't bring your work home with you.

:yes:

If it's just for 5 months then I wouldn't try and get a job which involves training. (unless it's only something like cleaning but nothing that big)
    Rest assured I'm looking for pretty much any job :) not being picky! But the bank jobs said with 'target orientated workplace' where I will be expected to make x amount of sales, just sounded a bit too much for me. Especially when *morally* I would want them to get the best deal for them, rather than flinging some nasty secured loan at them.

Loads of the jobs I feel confident doing (general office clerk duties etc.) say they want someone with experience only. None of the teming agencies have come back with anything useful yet either. Apply for a couple each day through reed / thisisleicestershire etc. but normally I just get another agency ringing me. At this rate I'm going to be registered at all of them. I've got Leicester and Loughborough (and the surrounding area) covered now!
    Question:

If I receive a contract to sign and hand in, does that mean I've got the position? Well confused now. I haven't had an interview yet, just phonecalls etc. and checking I'm suitable for the position. Then they emailed me about 5 documents, like medical disclosure forms and a contract of employment. (Adecco emailed me this on behalf of RBS)

But im getting calls and mail every day now lol, it's almost as busy as having a full time job, just handling all the different jobs I've applied for and the CVs I've sent out. Council job looks promising too. (Thanks to someone on the chat channel who suggested checking it out!)
    First interview; pending credit checks I've got the job. Nicht sehr bad!