Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Long commutes

2»

Comments

• Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    It takes me an hour to get to uni. That's especially bad when I have to be there at 8am, because I need a lot of time to really "wake up" from bed if it's early, which means I have to get up at 6.
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    cheers guys, some decent advice here:). I can kind of relax on public transport but I only generally take it when its not rush hour so I could imagine it being really shit when its busy.
    It takes me an hour to get to uni. That's especially bad when I have to be there at 8am, because I need a lot of time to really "wake up" from bed if it's early, which means I have to get up at 6.

Yeah I need the wakeup time too :P Coffee or even tea tends to give the artificial version of that when really needed though!
  • Options
    katchika wrote: »
    What's wrong with the train?

They don't run on time, the're expensive, when they do run the're damned slow or break down and the're mostly full of peasants. Similar thing with buses. Public transport is just one of my pet peeves I'm afraid. When the transport minister or some other 'holier than though' cabinet minister is sitting in his jaguar telling me to get on a train, it just makes me want to drive more. And In my car I don't have to sit next to an old lady who's wet herself or some kid with a BO problem...

Flame away at me for not being 'green' or whatever, but I work damn hard and have made sacrifices to be able to keep my car on the road, so I'll use it all I like. And i'm not of the school that global warming is simply down to human's either, so my conscience is clear. Besides that, getting the train to where I work is not really an option...
  • Options
    They don't run on time, the're expensive, when they do run the're damned slow or break down and the're mostly full of peasants. Similar thing with buses. Public transport is just one of my pet peeves I'm afraid. When the transport minister or some other 'holier than though' cabinet minister is sitting in his jaguar telling me to get on a train, it just makes me want to drive more. And In my car I don't have to sit next to an old lady who's wet herself or some kid with a BO problem...

Flame away at me for not being 'green' or whatever, but I work damn hard and have made sacrifices to be able to keep my car on the road, so I'll use it all I like. And i'm not of the school that global warming is simply down to human's either, so my conscience is clear. Besides that, getting the train to where I work is not really an option...

I think it depends where you live. If you lived in London, there wouldn't be the option to use the car as much. I drive to work at the moment, partly because there's no public transport that goes there and partly cos i *can*, but if i were living back in London, i'd definately use public transport - everyone does, it costs too much not to in both time and money.
  • Options

Jeremy Clarkson has a lot to answer for. :D

Nah, I agree with a lot of what you have said. Public transport just isn't good enough to attract people from their cars. :thumb:
  • Options
    the're mostly full of peasants. Similar thing with buses.
    that's a bit of a sweeping statement
  • Options
    Ballerina wrote: »
    that's a bit of a sweeping statement

Sorry, like Calvin said, that was just the Jeremy Clarkson in me. Harsh I suppose. But I meant the rest of it! :D
  • Options
    I think it depends where you live. If you lived in London, there wouldn't be the option to use the car as much. I drive to work at the moment, partly because there's no public transport that goes there and partly cos i *can*, but if i were living back in London, i'd definately use public transport - everyone does, it costs too much not to in both time and money.

Yeah, it's different for Londoners I guess, but that's another thing I'd never want to do - live in London...
  • Options
    Calvin wrote: »
    Not really. Although the doors on the underground are fucking lethal. Those fuckers take no prisoners :thumb:

You get used to them after a while, but diving at them as they are closing is a skill which must be mastered over time.