Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

What are your views on marriage?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
What are your views on marriage? Do you think it's an outdated institution? Do you think it still has value and meaning in today's world? Would you like to get married or are you married?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Personally I think it's a huge waste of time and money. Not a fan of it any more as I just believe it's taken far too lightly, not helped by these celebs having multiple marriages in the space of but a few years.
    I think marriage is a huge waste of money. If having a bit of paper to say your married does it for you then great- I have no problem with that. But in todays world, I really don't see the point.

I know lots of couples who have been together for years and never married. They still argue, have sex, look after the kids like married couples do.

Having said that, If I was going to get married it would be in Las Vegas in a drive thru wedding. I like the thought of that. Bearing in mind I have been to church once (under duress) I would feel a bit of a fraud and bored out my tits having the bog standard church wedding.

:thumb:
    I think it's just down to the individual. It's become common place for it just to be the couples' own choices. I don't believe in getting married just for the sake of it, or because it's a good excuse to dress up and have a party or for attention, or whatever these celebreties get married a couple of times a year for! But I can see how people would like to get married to make themselves feel more consolidated, and because it's traditional.
  • smitherzsmitherz Posts: 968 Part of The Mix Family
    I agree with the posts above. Not really my cup of tea, im happy to stay with someone and keep things as they are
    I don't think marriage is necessary, and in some cases I would argue that being married contributes to the breakdown of a relationship. If you're legally bound, you don't have to work so hard at keeping your partner happy....

On the other hand I think a symbolic celebration of people's love and commitment to one another is a beautiful thing, and that kind of occasion doesn't happen often enough in today's world. I probably would get married, even if it was just a ceremony and no legally binding papers, because I think the act of declaring your commitment to someone else in front of the people you love is wonderful.
    I dont think its for everyone and I think some people enter into it too lightly, but I think its a lovely way to celebrate your love and promise your commitment to each other.
    I think plenty of people do it for the wrong reasons though and dont understand the meaning of the promise. They promise it until they dont feel like it any more and then they leave or cheat just as easily as they would without it.
    I don't know if it will be for me or not. We'll see. Not fussed about it though. I think having grown up with married parents who never seem to have been that into each other and now divorcing has put me off. I know that your parents marriage isn't something to go by but it's what you know. I guess i'm afraid i'll do the same.
    I just want the ring.
  • smitherzsmitherz Posts: 968 Part of The Mix Family
    lipsy wrote: »
    I just want the ring.

I think thats what most gals want
    I dont think its for everyone and I think some people enter into it too lightly, but I think its a lovely way to celebrate your love and promise your commitment to each other.
    I think plenty of people do it for the wrong reasons though and dont understand the meaning of the promise. They promise it until they dont feel like it any more and then they leave or cheat just as easily as they would without it.

:yes:

I'm actually unsure about this - part of me does think it's a waste of time & money but doesn't that mean a married couple have more rights than a couple living together, unmarried?
    I agree with this.

I intend to get married, but like everyone else has said, it's not for everyone. :)
    It's not for me right now, Im happy as I am.
    Why do you (the OP) seem to write all of your posts like you're a researcher or something?

Anyway, I have mixed views on marriage. I'm not entirely sure if it would be right for me, but I might change my mind if I meet the right person.
    Why do you (the OP) seem to write all of your posts like you're a researcher or something?
    I was thinking the same.
    Not overly fussed on the idea but do plan to get married in a Church and all that traditional shite.
    I don't think it's for me.

But then, I'm far too young for marriage.
    I want to get married, i think its a lovely celebration of a couple's love and commitment. I don't, however, think a couple are necessarily less commited just because they aren't married. I also think it would be important to me to have my partners name, i know you don't have to get married to change your name but thats normally when it happens and that would be important to me, especially when/if children come along.
    i think that the paper wouldnt really make much difference, imo, its a nice way to show your commitment and everything, but today SO many people get divorced! That quite negative i know, and even i say i will never get divorced but the parcentage is so high, and it may be caused something that you cant predict will happen. Saying this, I would like to get married! So i kinda have mixed views I guess. It might be nice to celebrate your love one day, but not actually officially tie the knot because its so expensive to cut if you decide to. Also I think maybe once your married, things change perhaps, and this also might be the cause of divorce.
    I think the act of declaring your commitment to someone else in front of the people you love is wonderful.

Having married recently I would say the above is how we both felt regarding marriage.

I would also say that it has a lot to do with your upbringing... my husband and I both have parents who were happily married for umpteen years - in the current climate more and more people are having children outside of marriage and many who unfortunately have gone through divorce - I would imagine those children would grow up not feeling the same importance about marriage as those whose parents were happily married.

I don't think there is a right or wrong, it is a very subjective issue, however I do find it interesting that those who do want to get married/are married are open minded to those who don't wish to, but many of those who have no wish to get married damn it as 'a waste of time'.
    I'll be getting married to the Fiance, I hope, is it a waste of money, HELL NO, as we're not going to be spending ALOT of money. we're gonna run away to a quiet hotel, handfull of people, and get married, then have a nice party when we return. Cheap and what we'd like.
    Hmm i might do it one day but it's not something i ever really think about. Chances of me finding and keeping a bloke long enough for marriage to be a possibility are slim if i'm honest :chin:
    Lacy wrote: »
    Hmm i might do it one day but it's not something i ever really think about. Chances of me finding and keeping a bloke long enough for marriage to be a possibility are slim if i'm honest :chin:

Why are they Slim Lacy? What guy wouldnt want to keep you ;)
    Hellfire wrote: »
    I'll be getting married to the Fiance, I hope, is it a waste of money, HELL NO, as we're not going to be spending ALOT of money. we're gonna run away to a quiet hotel, handfull of people, and get married, then have a nice party when we return. Cheap and what we'd like.

My parents did this. My mum was telling me a while back that their wedding only cost £100, she didn't have a proper wedding dress and she spent the morning making sandwiches.
    smitherz wrote: »
    I think thats what most gals want

pffffft.

I like the idea of a perfect day and if that makes me superficial then I'm Kate Moss.
    Bullseye wrote: »
    Why are they Slim Lacy? What guy wouldnt want to keep you ;)

You've obviously never been out with me :p
    Lacy wrote: »
    You've obviously never been out with me :p

True... But we could change that sometime ;)
    You definately seem like my kind of girl :naughty:
    Bullseye wrote: »
    True... But we could change that sometime ;)
    You definately seem like my kind of girl :naughty:

Lol lucky me :p
    Marriage was created during a time when people only lived to their 30's. If we all maintained this outlook, then it makes sense. It's not saying 'forever' - it's saying 'until one of us dies', so it only makes sense that marriage only lasted a few years.

I can't wait to get married. I believe that we're not meant to be with one person forever, but then I don't believe marriage is meant to be like that either, so if it doesn't work out, it doesn't work out. There's nothing stopping you making it 'official' even if you don't believe it'll be forever.
    i want to get married, i want to have kids someday and as my family is very christian its important to them that im married first, i know that doesnt sound like a great reason but im not gona have a big fancy wedding so it isnt going to be a waste of money and i like the idea of my family still talking to me in years to come. I dont really like the thought of the actuall wedding i hate being the center of attention (so does my other half) id like to run away to las vegas and have a totally cheesy wedding but i dont think that will happen.