Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Right well, basically...

I'm a freak. As you all know, I get my own examination room and 25% extra time because I suffer from panic attacks and the what not. Took me alot to get it, what with getting a doctor's note and having a interview, etc.

Anyways, I had my first final yesterday, and guess what? The same thing happened despite being on my own. I revised for just over 90 overs for this exam (and this doesn't include my revision note taking) and I knew everything before I went in but my mind was mushed when I got in there. It took me about 30 minutes to calm down but even when I did, I was shaking and slightly panicky throughout the whole exam. Thankfully, I didn't have a full blown panic attack like last year or anything but it was pretty close if you get what I mean. I couldn't think or anything.

My next exam is next Friday which is actually the harder one so I'm shitting myself even more about it. I'm terrified of the same thing happening because I really can't fuck up. I fucked up yesterday and that was a 30 credit exam and next weeks is also.

Has anyone got any tips to calm your nerves because I'm really stuck for ideas here :( I don't wanna be so panicky and stressed on my last and final exam. Is there anything the doctor can/or will give me or anything I can actually buy?
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I think the doctor will be able to prrescribe you something. My mate suffered from panic attacks although not to the same extreme. I think she tried relaxation techniques like breathing deeply. I'm surprised the doctor has never prescribed since you suffer quite badly. You should go back and ask for something.
  • littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    I second what Lipsy said. Go back to your doc (if possible) and see what they say. In the meantime, there is Kalms and something that you can put on your tongue (not sure what). Make sure you have a good night sleep too, though.
    lipsy wrote: »
    I think the doctor will be able to prrescribe you something. My mate suffered from panic attacks although not to the same extreme. I think she tried relaxation techniques like breathing deeply. I'm surprised the doctor has never prescribed since you suffer quite badly. You should go back and ask for something.

When I first told my doctor about them, I had a number of issues at the time so he put me on anti-depressants which helped a great deal and really helped with my anxiety.

I really don't wanna go on anti-depressants though because I'm not depressed, I just get panicky. Plus, they made me really ill. I haven't been since about them because to be honest, I only really get like this at exam time.

I might go this week though and see what he can do for me :)
    Well there is medication you can get to help stop anxiety and panicking.
    There is? I think I'm gonna ring my doctor Monday morning then and *try* to get a appointment. Thanks :)
    My doctor prescribed me beta-blockers to take which really helped, because whenever I felt my heart racing, I'd start to panic, and they stop my heart from doing that. One of my relaxation techniques is to put my pen down, flop my hands into my lap and just stop and breathe. I've always done that when my mind has gone blank, and as long as I'm breathing slowly and steadily, I don't get panicky - and then whatever was blank comes back into my head.

BBs aren't for everyone though. If you have a history of asthma, then they're not suitable. Do go and see your doctor about it though.

And you're not a freak! I know people who do lectures and presentations in their 50s and they sometimes need some meds to calm them down. It can effect everyone.
    I use a natural remedy called 'Rescue Remedy'. My step dad's driving instructor gave it to him because he had panic attacks when he took his test. It's available from places like Boots and probably most pharmacies. I use it when I have exams. Its iquid with a little pipette. I put a few drops on my tongue and some in water to sip. The best bit is theres a whole range specifically designed for different tyoes of stress and anxiety and they are all completely natural! They're not too expensive either.
    I use rescue remedy too. I even used it in labour! I find it helpful.
    I use rescue remedy too. I even used it in labour! I find it helpful.

It's the best :thumb:
    I got put on beta blockers for panic attacks, they're a good short term solution to ease the attacks when they start stopping you from doing stuff.
    I had the mother of all panic attacks last night. The mates i was out with(who happen to be pharmacists) almost called an ambulance.
    It was horrendous.
    Well, I went and bought some rescue remedy today. I got the drops. It takes like cheap alcohol, lol.
    yea BB's are helpful to reduce the physical symptoms of anxiety (you'll probably be prescribed propranolol first time round)

theres also a chance that you'll be prescribed diazepam, which can also be very useful of anxiety related issues in lower doses .. but they'll probably start with propranolol first

all the best!
    There is? I think I'm gonna ring my doctor Monday morning then and *try* to get a appointment. Thanks :)
    Yep, "try" to get an appointment. It's a feeling I know well. I recently tried to get an appointment to see my GP about something I'd rather not go into here. Getting the Pope to approve me for a sainthood is easier than seeing my general practitioner. I suspect many others have the same problem.

Good luck regardless with that, and good luck with the exam. I have every confidence in you.
    a freind of mine was absolutely terrified of presentations. was a small presentation, 3 other people in the room, just an office. she ran off crying half way through I think, just cos she couldnt stand it.

dr gave here something that helped, she did it again with absolutely no problems. so I'm sure you'll be able to get something :) may also be worth getting a dr's note and filling out an extenuating circumstance form too, just for the uni's records.
    stargalaxy wrote: »
    Getting the Pope to approve me for a sainthood is easier than seeing my general practitioner.

Well you do have to be dead before you can be canonized :p
    Calvin wrote: »
    Well you do have to be dead before you can be canonized :p
    So that was the snag in my otherwise brilliant plan...
    stargalaxy wrote: »
    So that was the snag in my otherwise brilliant plan...

Yep I'm sure we got a few years yet before we have St. Stargalaxy the patron saint of ...... :D
    Calvin wrote: »
    Yep I'm sure we got a few years yet before we have St. Stargalaxy the patron saint of ...... :D
    At this point, half TheSite will be saying "oh please, don't give him ideas..."
    amnesia wrote: »
    I use a natural remedy called 'Rescue Remedy'. My step dad's driving instructor gave it to him because he had panic attacks when he took his test. It's available from places like Boots and probably most pharmacies. I use it when I have exams. Its iquid with a little pipette. I put a few drops on my tongue and some in water to sip. The best bit is theres a whole range specifically designed for different tyoes of stress and anxiety and they are all completely natural! They're not too expensive either.

interesting ... :chin:

http://www.rescueremedy.com/introduction/
    I take propranolol the beta-blocker, which the doctor gave me for anxiety/panic attacks. To be honest, it doesn't seem to help much, although I am on quite a low dosage.
    I've also been described dizepam but it's not a good idea to take during revision/exams because it kind of dulls the brain for a while and obviously can act as a sedative. I would recommend going and getting beta-blockers, they're commonly prescribed and might help.

I'm doing my finals at the moment too although they haven't started yet. I get bad panic attacks as well. Although, at the moment, I'm having more panic attacks about the coursework and dissertation I've handed in, I keep remembering bits I forgot/did wrong and getting in a state about it! Finding it really hard to just get on with revision.

Anyway good luck with the exams, am here if you want to talk to someone in the same boat! xxx
    Forgot to ask...Does anyone know of any particular relaxation techniques? My doctor mentioned them but didn't get round to suggesting any. I could really do with some as obviously can't keep popping pills every time I get stressed.
    z- wrote: »
    yea BB's are helpful to reduce the physical symptoms of anxiety (you'll probably be prescribed propranolol first time round)

theres also a chance that you'll be prescribed diazepam, which can also be very useful of anxiety related issues in lower doses .. but they'll probably start with propranolol first

all the best!
    I can't imagine you'd want to attempt doing an exam whilst on diazepam though!! :crazyeyes
    I use Rescue Remedy when I'm doing my exams. I get the blind panic where I can't even read what is on the page in front of me, shaky hands, blurred vision and I feel physically sick. I can't explain it, but the rescue remedy helps - either there is something in it that does the trick or it has a placebo effect. The panic doesn't go completely but the edge is taken off the situation, making it easier to focus on what I need to do.

"Yoga in a bottle" :lol:

Actually sounds like good stuff. I never really get overly panicky about exams. Before them I am sometimes a bit nervous and often just want to get in the exam hall and start. Usually once I'm in the nerves go away and I can just do it. If the questions are difficult or not what I expected, it can throw me sometimes but I just try and compose myself and start writing down ideas for essays etc.
    take a chill pill... like baldrian or something.
    There are medications on herbal basis that supports you to calm down.