Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

playing the odds

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
so i'm currently in the midst of 3 exams in 3 days.

had 1 on wednesday, 1 today and got my last 1 tomorrow. also had 1 last week.

anyway, due to the congested nature of the timetable and lack of time i've been taking massive gambles on questions coming up in each exam. i know everyone does this to a certain extent but some of the gambles i've been taking have been ridiculous - e.g. revising 2 topics when I need to answer 2 questions. it's death or glory!

and so far - IT'S PAID OFF!

3 exams down, and the stuff i've selectively revised has come up.

feel a bit like a blackjack player though. keep telling the dealer to hit me, hit me,, hit me, but i'm about one card away from going bust.

anyway, one left tomorrow and the gamble is coming into play again - wish me luck for the cleansweep jackpot!
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Best of luck boyo :D
    Come do my exams next week! Good luck
    keep at it, good luck with the rest :)

I've got my (singular) exam on monday, could possibly be the last exam of my life... how scary!
    I'm in exactly the same boat...Thankfully 2 weeks after tomorrows till the only one I've got left so I can hopefully revise properly for that one. Tomorrow's I'm revising 4 topics for the 4 questions we have to answer. Shitting myself though as I only know 1 topic at the moment and the exams at 9.30 tomorrow morning, I'm tired and have been ill for the last 3 days and feel like death warmed up.

Good luck though and I'm sure you'll do fine.
    nice. but your lecturers must be really predictable. or do you just not ave that much to revise :p
    otter wrote: »
    nice. but your lecturers must be really predictable. or do you just not ave that much to revise :p

bollocks! have loads to do, which is why i selectively revise and play the odds given limited time.

exams usually consist of 2 sections with 2 or 3 essay options, and you do 1 essay from each section.

still have to play odds. anyway, today's exam was the first bad one yet, so i think i did get a bit burnt with my tactics in the end. questions were alright but weren't geared totally to what i learnt. managed to bluff a couple of essays - just not as good as my other ones. still, everything's over now so fuck it!

just after waking up after a massive bender of booze and drugs since 11.30 am
    I did that last year and lost. Never again
    otter wrote: »

Lots to revise, but there are only a certain amount of topics we've covered and looking back over past papers along with a few of the hints given in revision lectures can guide you to know fairly well the topics which will come up.

Mine went far better than could be expected off 3 hours revision from 12.30am - 3.30am and then 3.5 hours sleep. Should still be on target for a 1st. Got 2 weeks to revise for the last one now so I can relax and hopefully not leave this to the last minute.

I did use the same policy last year though and got severly stung for it...you'd think I'd learn but apparently not and I've been lucky this year.
    how can you get a first off 3 hours revision!? :eek2:

they must either tell you a LOT in the revision lectures or not have that much to examine you on lol ...

i might start again and change course!
    I do have a photographic memory. Read something twice and I know it - helps a lot. ;) Plus I'm doing computing so most of it has had practical use all year so I know it fairly well anyway.
    Kazbo wrote: »
    I do have a photographic memory. Read something twice and I know it - helps a lot. ;)

bastard! :D
    Kazbo wrote: »
    I do have a photographic memory. Read something twice and I know it - helps a lot. ;) Plus I'm doing computing so most of it has had practical use all year so I know it fairly well anyway.

ahh, you're one of "those" :p

My moaning mainly stems from the fact I didnt go to many lectures I guess, it seems like an insane amount to learn when its all new!
    muse- wrote: »

My moaning mainly stems from the fact I didnt go to many lectures I guess, it seems like an insane amount to learn when its all new!

:lol: that was my 2nd year...I have 96% attendance this year ;)

When did I turn into a goody goody?
    well my 4th exam was the worst of the lot but i managed to blag a couple of OK-ish answers - hopefully my other exams (and coursework) will keep my average mark up though.
    I have 3 exams in 3 days next week - and a 2000 word essay to be in for Friday - I think I'm going to be playing the odds a bit too. Although to be fair a couple of our lecturers have strongly strongly STRONGLY hinted at what will be on the papers...so hopefully I can get by with just doing what they have suggested.
    I too am making this gamble for todays exam, mostly due to my own stupid fault for not starting my revision earlier. Wish me luck!

ETA: Wahey! paid off! :hyper: