Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Has being a geek become cool?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    he really was
    Urrgh... deja vu... this is exactly the same thread as on TSR.

But anyway, yes, the media has eccepted geekdom and is praising it.

I hate geekiness personally, it's a flaw imo. Mainly because I spent many of my tweenage years as a very miserable geek. It's not cool.
    Ahh it's so true! The younger kids these days have too much attitude. When I was a kid, we were so polite, now when I'm walking to college, there's a massive bunch of little chavs in front of me...all about 3 foot high and 10 years old, so I'm like "excuse me please"...They turn around and the 'ardest one (this kid is actually about 4 foot 5 :yes: ) starts threatening me.
    "What ya fuckin sayin bruv? Iz you dissin us yea? You a fukin prick innit blud." And all the little girls start laughing.
    I would have smacked their faces in but surely someone would report me to the NSPCC. Some of these kids need to remember how old they actually are.
    The best ones are the mates that take the piss out of your for wearing something then they're wearing it three weeks later like they fucking invented fashion.
    My boyfriend is geek to the core but doesn't admit it.

People think I'm a geek because of my sense of humour and the fact that I like to read books. They mean it in a bad way though
    I think the main reason 'geeks' were that unpopular because of the TV in the first place. little kids with shirt and tie in school, a greasy comb-over and huge ridiculous glasses and total dorks in sports too.

Where is the line anyway? I am studying technical chemistry, does that make me a geek? I study with a few hot chicks and a few good-looking men, who are partially doing a lot of sport etc. are they 'geeks' ?

Maybe it's a good thing, because so many people (mainly speaking of girls now) are so stuck up - and that's my personal theory - because the tv etc indoctrinates that geeks are uncool and social outcasts. Laugh if you want, but I think the tube has a lot of power of certain people, so this upliving of geeks might be a not so bad thing so a few people open their eyes (i dunno).

/e: the term geek is used loosely here. I am not speaking of 40 year olds, living in their moms basement and write fiction about japanese school girls who are nude valkyries at night to fight crime and get raped by 9 armed tentacle monsters.
    Unfortunately, they're the only style that suit me. Which doesn't help if I try to break the geeky lesbian stereotype ever :no:
  • Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    Geeks are only trendily cool in movies. People who think that Peter Parker is cool might be the same ones who'd laugh at their classmate who is like him.
    Peter Parker (aka Spiderman), Robert Langdon (of Da Vinci Code fame), Malcom in the Middle and the History Boys: what do all these things have in common?

You sniffing clue? When were any of these people ever cool?

With the exception of the first one of course, but even then only Spiderman was cool. Parker was not.
    i guess some stuff will always be 'uncool' or 'cool'

and i know a lot of people are gonna yell at me for saying this but im gonna say it any way

smoking will always be deemed as cool

not as much as it used to be but in year seven/ eight is was cool to smoke . i didnt though :angel: ive never really smoke unless im drunk or mashed
    smoking will always be deemed as cool

Only if done right :razz: ie, no shitty Mayfair/B&H/Regal/etc, and no shitty 20p lighters.
    Kiezo wrote: »
    Only if done right :razz: ie, no shitty Mayfair/B&H/Regal/etc, and no shitty 20p lighters.

:lol: Only Lucky Strike and Embassy, lit with a gold plated Zippo.
    pill 'ed wrote: »
    :lol: Only Lucky Strike and Embassy, lit with a gold plated Zippo.

Pfff, Marlboro Red with a chrome Zippo :razz:

i know fuck all about fags ... but b&h gold are alrite?

if i ever do smoke it will be l&b

my mum and step dad smoke mayfair because its cheap
    pill 'ed wrote: »
    :lol: Only Lucky Strike

:D

Hell yes.

I'm afraid some of us can't afford a Zippo though :p.
    i know fuck all about fags ... but b&h gold are alrite?

if i ever do smoke it will be l&b

my mum and step dad smoke mayfair because its cheap

B&H and L&B are old peoples' fags. JUST TRUST ME ON THIS ONE SON, Red's are all rock n roll, like.
    B&H and L&B are old peoples' fags. JUST TRUST ME ON THIS ONE SON, Red's are all rock n roll, like.

haha your so wise teaching me the ways of jargen or jorgan or whatever and whats the rock and roll fags to smoke ...
    haha your so wise teaching me the ways of jargen or jorgan or whatever and whats the rock and roll fags to smoke ...

Jager! And aye, stick with me kiddo and it'll be all good :razz:
    Jager! And aye, stick with me kiddo and it'll be all good :razz:

Jarger ! Ok will do, Oldie :p

ooh ..

Jager then !
    i don't know, geeks are still geeks to me

it does piss me off the way people change.. i found earlier on in secondary school dance music was the big thing, then it gradually moved on to all this shitey rap/'hip-hop' music, and now its starting to edge towards wanky indie and electro stuff

fair enough people can like whatever they want, but its annoying as fuck when they're only liking something to follow everyone else.. you either like something or you don't, none of this beating about the bush shite
    Oh to be at school again.

Actually, no. Best time of your lives? Fuck that, matey! It's some of the harshest, most judgemental years of everybodies lives.

Utter, utter bollocks, and as somebody has said, you'll be laughing at now little of a shit all this means once you get out into the real world. Just do whatever the hell you want to do, and fuck everybody else.

Christ - there is no way on earth I'd like to go back to school again.
    B&H and L&B are old peoples' fags.

Oi I smoke L&B's, I'm not that old am I?

Oh and geeks, well it depends, they'll never be percieved as cool because 90% of them are just, well geeks. Though some are alrite I suppose.
    ... and no, smoking isn't cool.
    Depend what you mean by geek. If you men geek as in socially awkward with no friends, then no that's not cool.

But geek culture has been considered cool for ages, with things like Kevin Smith and Quentin Tarantino films, Weezer in the early 90's. And it's just carried on since then with pretty much every teen movie protaganist ever, obscure geek references in stuff like Family Guy and The Simpsons, computer games becoming more mainstream, geeky characters in dramas like Buffy and The O.C. There's tonnes of examples, but it's no means a recent thing. I figure it's just because anyone who sits down and writes a TV series or film script has to be a bit of a geek to begin with. But they're probably also really outgoing, and have no problem mixing with everyone.

So I'd say that (some aspects of) geek culture have become cool, but the actual real-life geek is still by definition uncool.
    i just started to delve a little too deep into this, had a nice philosphical post written out lol, i ll take another route!

If geeks will never be considered cool, then is it just about having a boring personality? Cos there are plenty of people that consider themselves trendy and worship themselves that have the personality of a pair of plyers..

:no: Utterly wrong. I'll give you Mayfair and Regal, but B&H, Lucky Strike, Camel and Marlboro - all acceptable cigarettes to smoke. Preferably lit with a chrome Zippo.

Smoking is both big and clever.

(I've quit :D)
    Yerascrote wrote: »
    Oi I smoke L&B's, I'm not that old am I?

Maybe the law is different over there or something I don't know :razz:
    :no: Utterly wrong. I'll give you Mayfair and Regal, but B&H, Lucky Strike, Camel and Marlboro - all acceptable cigarettes to smoke. Preferably lit with a chrome Zippo.

You know nothing sir. Old women smoke B&H, and Camel are only smoked by people who are going for the Vincent Price/Bruce Forsyth look :razz:

Marlboro Lights are for chicks, too.
    I used to smoke marlboro red. But then i moved to lights, and i don't remember why.

Nope, i don't know any old people who smoke B&H, all my male friends do though, who are hot and cool. Old people smoke superkings.

I love camel :)