Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Will you be watching Eurovision?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
UK Eurovision entrants Scooch will be performing their tune, "Flying The Flag (For You)" alongside Musicians from 42 countries for the 52nd Eurovision Song Contest, which takes place on Saturday night.

Bulgaria and Belarus have also reached the main event for the first time.

Last year the contest was won by Finnish monster rock group Lordi with their song Hard Rock Hallelujah. France, Luxembourg and the UK have each won five times.

Germany has been tipped to win this year's contest with a swing entry from Roger Cicero.

Do you take Eurovision seriously? What do you think of your country's entry ? Is performance or politics the driving force in Eurovision? How will you be watching Eurovision?
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Nah i dont watch it i think its a load of crap tbh i think our countries entry scooch is a joke and i will be very surprised if we even come close to wining.
    And i think that politics has got a lot to do with the voting i dont believe that people vote purely on the performance
    How will you be watching Eurovision?

There is something other than television to watch it on?
    I watch it every year so I'll be watching it tomorrow.
    Politics used to be a factor in the voting behaviour of some countries. Not so much an issue now.
    I wont be watching....

I have paint I want to see dry :D
    Calvin wrote: »
    I wont be watching....

I have paint I want to see dry :D

Yep, I couldn't think of anything more depressing than watching that shit on a Saturday. Yeeesh.
    I love it.

I got invited to a Eurovision party but it's in Aberdeen and I've already got plans. Shame though!
    How will you be watching Eurovision?

I won't, as I'm hetrosexual for the most part.
  • Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    I might watch if I have nothing else to do, but people take it far more seriously than it's worth. You're supposed to vote for the song you think is best, not based on which country it's by (and how close that country is to yours).

As for my own country's song, I've not heard much of it but I think having somebody's name in a song title is stupid, unless the song is about a specific person. And I don't think "Ya sou Maria" is.
    Teagan wrote: »
    There is something other than television to watch it on?

I was thinking I might stand on my head to watch it. :p
    Politics used to be a factor in the voting behaviour of some countries. Not so much an issue now
    I wouldn't be so sure...

I love the eurovision song contest... pure cheese. Exellently crap.
    I'm going down to my sister's house to watch it with her and her mates... we're gunna have take-away pizza and have a giggle! :D (There may be fancy dress as well).
    Missed it last year though.

I love Terry Wogan's comments about the entries and those filler bits inbetween the songs. Brilliant.

I think Scootch might just be crap enough to get a few votes this year. It could go either way. Not sure about them singing that they're flying the british flag for 'you' who will be a audience of thousands of forgeiners... Might not go down too well... But at least they seem proud to be crap, so I'm all for it. :razz:

P.S. I don't think any have quite been up to the standards of Germany's entry a couple of years ago 'Vada dada doo do dar' - I don't think it won, but I just thought that was ace! :lol:
    I love it. It's craptastic. So bad it's good kinda thing. I was gonna watch, but I got invited out, so I'm gonna tape it. :)
    I always have this day every year planned for Eurovision. :D

I think they'll change the format soon. A lot of people are starting to complain about the current set up, especially given that no western or central European nations got through this year's semis. It's going to lose the contest viewers for sure.

I love the variety. If you don't take this seriously then it's ace entertainment. I love to hang on IRC with my European friends laughing at the show.

It's a great occasion for parties. :D Also, there's an election tomorrow as well. I think half the nation will be partying downtown tomorrow night.
    Kiezo wrote: »
    I won't, as I'm hetrosexual for the most part.

What part are yo gay for ?
    I'd rather listen to hardcore then watch this shite ...
    Me and my mate always watch it together - not because it's good, because we love laughing at it and have watched it together every year since I was 6 and she was 3. Unfortunetly, she's got no way of getting to me, and I'm poorly so can't get to her, so I will crawl into bed and watch it with a pizza I think. I'm supposed to be going out but I feel so poorly that it's just not going to happen so, second choice :D
    RubberSkin wrote: »
    What part are yo gay for ?

The only part that matters baby.
    no... I don't think I'll be watching it.
    I'm having a little crisps and beer eurovision party tonight with some student friends.

You are just gonna love the French song !

Everybody knows that boring piano singing cannot win the prize, that's exactly why France didnot even get 10 points at the last contest !
    It makes me cringe, I can't take it seriously, and our entry's also rubbish. So no, I'll probably be busy.
    I watch it every year for the pure comic value of it, hehe! I shall stick myself infront of the TV with my revision and snacks :D
    Is Terry Wogan still alive?

Then no, I wont be watching.
    I don't think so somehow.
    nelly_bar wrote: »
    I watch it every year for the pure comic value of it, hehe! I shall stick myself infront of the TV with my revision and snacks :D

Thats exactly what Im doing at this moment!
  • Flake_MustaineFlake_Mustaine Posts: 1,261 Wise Owl
    Glittery wrote: »
    Is Terry Wogan still alive?

Then no, I wont be watching.

He's been whining non-stop throughout the whole scoring part... :p you'd think he'd at least pretend to be in the spirit of it or something lol.

He's awful.
    I do get pretty sick of him. A few good songs, a few very funny ones! What was with frances dead cat?!
    Yerascrote wrote: »
    Politics used to be a factor in the voting behaviour of some countries. Not so much an issue now.

They still kiss each others ass though. And..... Finland gives 12 points to ....... you guessed it Sweden etc. etc.

My mum wanted to watch it. UK were shite but not as shite as some of them but low and behold UK and Ireland get the least points and all the Eastern Europeans vote for each other :thumb:

Terry Wogan was the only thing that kept me going, he just makes me laugh as he just goesn't give a shite and says exactly what everyone else is thinking. I was whinging exactly the same throughout the whole voting thing too. Sad but true. :)
  • Flake_MustaineFlake_Mustaine Posts: 1,261 Wise Owl
    Carolina wrote: »
    ...Terry Wogan was the only thing that kept me going, he just makes me laugh as he just goesn't give a shite and says exactly what everyone else is thinking...

:lol: good point!!
    Carolina wrote: »
    They still kiss each others ass though. And..... Finland gives 12 points to ....... you guessed it Sweden etc. etc.

everyone says its politics but its not imo. it just plain social preferences. similar and neighboring countries have similar musical tastes. simple.
    Who actually won?
    Serbia apparently.