Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

I'm going to miss Tony Blair

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
How would you rate Blair's performance over the last 10 years?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Bit like the stock market. There have been up's and down's but were in a better position now than 10 years ago.

:thumb:
    horrendous...he´s helped majorly disassociate a whole generation!

the only reason i will miss him is because i will have to find another hate figure to stick pins in....
    horrendous...he´s helped majorly disassociate a whole generation!

the only reason i will miss him is because i will have to find another hate figure to stick pins in....

You need to get out more :D
  • BunnieBunnie Posts: 6,099 Master Poster
    I will miss him, I feel he did a good job in certain aspects. Also, I think it is a shame he will only really be remembered for the Iraq business. Regarding that, I feel any other PM would have done the same in that situation. It is Bush that should take the majority of the blame for that one!
    Calvin wrote: »
    You need to get out more :D
    I know...that the worst part of it!
    Bit like the stock market. There have been up's and down's but were in a better position now than 10 years ago.

We are? :confused: How exactly?
    Teagan wrote: »
    We are? :confused: How exactly?

More jobs / less unemployment

lower inflation

lower interest rates

peace in Ireland

stronger economy
    More jobs / less unemployment

lower inflation

lower interest rates

peace in Ireland

stronger economy

Lower inflation = but allowing house prices to run rampant with no protection for first time buyers - not much success here then.

Lower interest rates = For a time, yes, but it is only a percent or so off 1997 rates now - with another expected rise due next month. Personal savings and pensions have been scavenged and annual pay increases (apart from the rich) have often been below inflation.

Peace in Ireland = But war in Iraq which has caused a bad deterioration in community relations, e.g. July 7th (Boooom!)

Stronger economy = Yeah? Where is the manufacturing industry now? We are now a nation of 'service industry' companies with more and more work being outsourced overseas ...
    Im not saying the last ten years have been perfect. But if you ask the average guy in the street Im sure they feel better off than 10 years ago.
    Credit where it's due, he's pulled some rabbits out of hats at certain points and certainly economically he's made some inroads.

I wouldn't say I'll miss him, but I'm not going to be chasing him down the road with a pitchfork screaming "good riddance". Maybe it's just my 'better the devil you know' attitude ;)
    Im not saying the last ten years have been perfect. But if you ask the average guy in the street Im sure they feel better off than 10 years ago.

How do you feel better off then?

p.s. I am not trying to argue with you - I am genuinely interested in how you feel that his reign has been such a success. :)
    For the reasons I pointed out before.

I understand house prices have increased. And there is nobody that more pissed off than me, as I cant afford to buy. But low inflation has had many other benefits. We had high inflation in the late 70's/ early 80's which ruined the country.

Although interest rates are nearing their highest in the last ten years, they are still a lot lower than in the 80's / 90's. We have had so much investment because of our low interest rates. Like TB said yesterday, no country attracts investment like the UK.

Cant argue with the War in Iraq... it was a mistake.

Yes the country has lost manufacturing jobs in the last ten years, but we are no longer manufacturing country. We cant mine coal as cheap as Poland, we cant produce clothes as cheap as China. Our competitive advantage is in the service industry, this is what we should exploit.

Of course the will always disagreements, but in my opinion we are as a country better off now than we were 10 years ago.

I usually refrain from reading these threads since the same things are posted each and every time.

Why is Iraq always what people bring up?

Why do people allow it to over shadow 10 years of unprecedented achievements, sure mistakes have been made along the way, a number of things haven't been grasped to the extent that they should, but hindsight is only available after the decisions have been made!

Why is the fact that opinion polls immediately before the invasion of Iraq indicated a that 45% of the public were against military action in Iraq, and 49% were for military action in Iraq, is dismissed or forgotten?

Lets for arguements sake say that Mr Blair was indeed 100% wrong in his decision to go to Iraq, no question about it and as such remove him from the whole issue, what decision would of been made without him being there? The only realistic alternative of government would be that of the Conservatives, who also backed his decision to go to war.

I think it's a shame that people allow that to be their lasting view of him, it doesn't have to be, it's your decision what aspects of his Premiership you want to focus on.

I know he was a master at manipulating the media and putting a spin on things, but hey isn't that what the media do every day to every aspect of our lives, manipulate everything they report on for their own agendas!

I personally think he has missed some opportunities, he's made some mistakes, and aside from those he has done things that i don't agree with, but overall I think he's done a fantastic job and has been a remarkable leader.

And regarding the Bush situation, sure you can consider Blair to have been his Lapdog, sitting around waiting for a command from it's master.

Or you could consider him to have been his guide dog, aware of his limitations but intent on using his relationship and less aggressive actions to where possible guide him in to a more acceptable decision, a more appropriate means of action...
    Mr Orange wrote: »
    I usually refrain from reading these threads since the same things are posted each and every time.

Why do people allow it to over shadow 10 years of unprecedented achievements, sure mistakes have been made along the way, a number of things haven't been grasped to the extent that they should, but hindsight is only available after the decisions have been made!

Why is the fact that opinion polls immediately before the invasion of Iraq indicated a that 45% of the public were against military action in Iraq, and 49% were for military action in Iraq, is dismissed or forgotten?

Lets for arguements sake say that Mr Blair was indeed 100% wrong in his decision to go to Iraq, no question about it and as such remove him from the whole issue, what decision would of been made without him being there? The only realistic alternative of government would be that of the Conservatives, who also backed his decision to go to war.

I think it's a shame that people allow that to be their lasting view of him, it doesn't have to be, it's your decision what aspects of his Premiership you want to focus on.

I know he was a master at manipulating the media and putting a spin on things, but hey isn't that what the media do every day to every aspect of our lives, manipulate everything they report on for their own agendas!

I personally think he has missed some opportunities, he's made some mistakes, and aside from those he has done things that i don't agree with, but overall I think he's done a fantastic job and has been a remarkable leader.

And regarding the Bush situation, sure you can consider Blair to have been his Lapdog, sitting around waiting for a command from it's master.

Or you could consider him to have been his guide dog, aware of his limitations but intent on using his relationship and less aggressive actions to where possible guide him in to a more acceptable decision, a more appropriate means of action...

Well said :thumb:

It's brought up because it is undeniably the biggest wart on his CV. How on earth can anyone comment on Blair's premiership and ignore that? Ostrich. Head. Sand.

And the polls were in favour of the war because, at that stage, the British public had no idea that he was lying ...
    It's brought up because it is undeniably the biggest wart on his CV. How on earth can anyone comment on Blair's premiership and ignore that? Ostrich. Head. Sand.

Not in the slightest, and i never even suggested it should be ignored, just pathetic how it somehow instantly dismisses everything else he achieved.
    But what has he achieved? The NHS is worse off now and at no fault of the doctors and nurses. The plight of pensioners are being ignored. The schooling system is completely wrecked. Agriculture is in a bad shape. Manufacturing is virtually non-existent, etc etc
    But what has he achieved? The NHS is worse off now and at no fault of the doctors and nurses. The plight of pensioners are being ignored. The schooling system is completely wrecked. Agriculture is in a bad shape. Manufacturing is virtually non-existent, etc etc

Have to disagree, both my grandparents have said they have never been so well off.

My old school has had loads of new buildings and millions spend on turning it into a Sports College.

We live in a service based economy, there is no point in complaining about manufacturing because whatever we can make, China or eastern Europe can make it cheaper.
    We live in a service based economy, there is no point in complaining about manufacturing because whatever we can make, China or eastern Europe can make it cheaper.

And so all the workers laid off at these manufacturing plants should take comfort in that? Are they feeling better under Blair? The trick is too work smarter and with teh right tax incentives, this could be achieved.
    Its always a case of people looking back and seeing things different from the reality it was.

People look back and consider the 70s great for fashion, the 80s great for music...

They weren't...

The early 90s great for the NHS? yeah, closing dozens of hospitals boosted the level of care for all hey.
    And so all the workers laid off at these manufacturing plants should take comfort in that? Are they feeling better under Blair? The trick is too work smarter and with teh right tax incentives, this could be achieved.

Similarly the loss of the mining industry in the 80s?

Of course it is sad when someone looses their job, but its life. We used to be a country who built ships and extracted coal. We aren't anymore, those people who have lost their jobs will have to retrain into an industry which is in demand in the UK.

All the tax incentives in the world cant help us produce a wooly jumper or a bag of coal when China can do it for a tenth of the price.
    The early 90s great for the NHS? yeah, closing dozens of hospitals boosted the level of care for all hey.

Who says I don't disagree with that? However, first the government raids every other countries' nursing staff to prop up the NHS shortfall here - and now tells doctors that there aren't any jobs for them. :confused: Quality!
    Similarly the loss of the mining industry in the 80s?

... largely caused by union militancy.
    Of course it is sad when someone looses their job, but its life.

Yes - its very sad when someone loses their job and has to retrain in something completely unfamiliar, for less money and not be able to afford the mortgage on the house, if they can afford one in the first place.

Anyway, just as much as your mind can't change about him, neither can mine ... we will agree to disagree on this one. :)
    Yes - its very sad when someone loses their job and has to retrain in something completely unfamiliar, for less money and not be able to afford the mortgage on the house, if they can afford one in the first place.

Our economy is constantly evolving, the workforce have to adapt with our changing economy or be left behind.
    ... largely caused by union militancy.

Bollocks.
    Our economy is constantly evolving, the workforce have to adapt with our changing economy or be left behind.

The "economy" is not a thing y'know. The economy is made up of the workforce.
    Blagsta wrote: »
    The "economy" is not a thing y'know. The economy is made up of the workforce.

Yes, but if there is no longer a need for coal miners in the economy, then coalminers have to retrain.
    What about the best and worst of Blair? Excuse the first line, as I wrote it some time ago. We know that he is stepping down next month.