Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Help!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Anyone kind enough to spare me a mo, I'd really appreciate some advice.

I've been with my employer 8 years. I've been off sick for the last six weeks, with doctors notes signing me off.

I got a letter from them saying they are no longer prepared to pay my full wages while I'm off, and from now on they wil pay me Statutory Sick Pay.

Also as this months wages have already been sent out to me next month they will deduct from them the extra amount they have already paid.

Two questions: one, as SSP will mean a drop of 1200 a month for me, what help can I get to cope with this loss of earnings, ie for paying my rent etc?

And secondly, I thought that if an employer accicdentally overpaid you they had no rights to reclaim it?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    DrugBoy wrote: »

Two questions: one, as SSP will mean a drop of 1200 a month for me, what help can I get to cope with this loss of earnings, ie for paying my rent etc?

And secondly, I thought that if an employer accicdentally overpaid you they had no rights to reclaim it?

First question. I don't think your entitled to anything other than sick pay. Although I could be wrong.

Second question. They do have a right to reclaim their money if its been overpaid.

:thumb:
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Look on www.direct.gov.uk in the Benefits section to see what else you could be entitled to - totally depends upon your personal circumstances, too numerous to go through here.

And, yes, they can reclaim it from a future payment.