Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

GCSE home study courses

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
Has anyone on here done an GCSE home study courses? im thinking about doing these as i really need to incurses my grades in order to do the job i want to do? any advice would be good
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I'm assuming you mean 'increase'?

Are you at school at the moment or have you already taken your GCSEs and just need to improve them? If it's the former, your teachers may be willing to do some extra work after school with you or you could pay for a home tutor. If it's the latter, you'd probably be better with an evening course at college or something as that way you get the stuff explained to you rather than just pamphlets and, if you're lucky, someone on the other end of the phone.
    Loopi wrote: »
    I'm assuming you mean 'increase'?

Are you at school at the moment or have you already taken your GCSEs and just need to improve them? If it's the former, your teachers may be willing to do some extra work after school with you or you could pay for a home tutor. If it's the latter, you'd probably be better with an evening course at college or something as that way you get the stuff explained to you rather than just pamphlets and, if you're lucky, someone on the other end of the phone.

i really need to improve them, ive finished doing a degree and now i want to join the navy, but to do the job i want i have to have 5 GCSE's grade a-c, but i havent got any :-( i really didnt do well at them
  • BunnieBunnie Posts: 6,099 Master Poster
    I dont know about home courses, I cant say I have heard of them to be honest.
    Firstly, have you checked with the navy that they desperately require 5 GCSEs because your degree may override that. They often use such requirements to check you are of a certain intellectual ability, and you have demonstrated that by gaining a degree. My GCSEs were rather shocking, but they dont really get called upon due to my degree.
    If you do need them, I would recommend going to your local college to do a night course. By going to something like this, you will be able to have the one on one time with a tutor, as well as fellow classmates that you can 'bounce ideas off' so to speak. Having more structure would help you do the work and stick to a timetable for when work needs to be done etc.
    Good luck with it though!
    i would recommend going to your local college or if you have abit of money hanging around you could enrol with ICS (the annoying advert on tv saying "i say yes you can") they do loads of courses including GCSE's so it's really cool

Good Luck :thumb:
    you'd be better doing them as an evening class at a local college imo. if you've not studies for a while it can be harder to get into it and discipline yourself to study when your not used to it, if your doing a class thats not so much an issue.