Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Self critical essay

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
I have to write a 2000 word essay explaining basically how i have grown during my first year at uni and what i have learnt, using examples.

How the hell am i supposed to do that!? :crying:

This really has to be the most pointless assignment in the history of assignments but it still has to be done, so help please??
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    hmm..does sound a bit harsh.. have you had many self-relevatory experiences in the past year at all? if not, then i guess you could talk about what work you enjoyed..or the people you met that you liked and why..what you like about the uni, what you like about the city you're in...stuff like that... :thumb: you can do it!
    lol that sounds so crap
    ask friends from back home (if you go away to go to uni) or who knew you before uni and ask them for their honest opinions on how you've changed for better or worse.

think about situations you've had to come across and how you've reacted to them and if you feel you've done so differently to how you would have done before uni. or what you've learn from mates that you've met at uni and how meeting lots of new people has opened your mind up to different things?
    I'd go for a lot of bullshit about how you were a mummys boy and had everything done for you at home and now you are an independant young man. When you came to uni, no self motivation, able to cook about 3 things, undomesitcated, basic, school type essays and used wikki for research.

You now organise your own social and academic life, plan your own time without having someone tell you what to do, lead an independant life, all your own washing and ironing etc, have a balanced and varied diet, have learnt to write better quality essays, with relevance and depth and have found different sources for information and learnt to be more critical of it.

100 words on each of those most of which can be examples and you have your essay.
    >p
    Learned academically or learned about yourself?

If it's the former then haven't you had any feedback from tutors or lecturers about your progress - either informally or through tutorial? They were big on these essays at my Uni and what I usually did was look at tutorial 1 and tutorial 2 and see where I had improved and what had needed work at the start and what I felt I was now stronger in. Usually things like time management and structuring of academic work, maintaining portfolios etc. Also things like participating in lectures and feeling growing confidence in making contributions both on placement and in academic areas.

If it's the latter then the things that have been mentioned. Just pull it out of your arse, you can say that you're fiercly independent now. You can manage to run a house, manage your own time without the egging on you had at college and in work etc.

Just make it up. I'm guessing they just want to see that you can analyse your own strengths and weaknesses and how your first year at Uni has improved your character and your academic ability :)
    icey wrote: »
    I have to write a 2000 word essay explaining basically how i have grown during my first year at uni and what i have learnt, using examples.

How the hell am i supposed to do that!? :crying:

This really has to be the most pointless assignment in the history of assignments but it still has to be done, so help please??

Assuming university life is the same for you as it is for me, I would say there a massive change from college to university despite the whole effort to get you used to university life.

Good luck with the 2,000 words though, thats harsh.:thumb:
    fill it full of made up bullshite, after reading though all the "module aims" and "learning objectives" from all the modules you've done thus far.

does strike me as an utterly pointles excersize though, if they wanted to introduce you to critical writing you'd be better doing it on a bit of text.
    i had to do that too - talk about improving time management, how you feel about being more independent with your leanring, if you learnt how to work better in groups, if you've grown in confidence and feel better about doing presentations. talk about what you feel you haven't improved too.