Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

is this right?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
is this citing, refrencing whatever its called right? i have a guide up to be honest i'm bloody useless and get it wrong everytime! i know there's already a thread on this but it didnt really tell me anything i didnt know, so i gave it shot. Do i leave the title of the book out and just include that at the end? each chapter has a different author but the books itself was edited by just two poeple

Feminist artists often paint about own experiences. Feminism created a new theoretical position and a new aesthetic category - the position of female experience. It reduced what had always been seen as universal - the position of male experience. It soon became apparent that the art that attracts us most is the art that we can relate to, art that shares our own beliefs and/or experiences.
(Norma Broude, Mary D. Garrard, The Power Of Feminist Art, 1994, P10-12)

Eta: the information in the paragraph was taken from the book but the wording is my own
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Put a footnote to the citation and in the footnote put the following.

Author(s), Book/article title (in itallics), Place of publication, year, p.10 or pp. 10-12

Then if you mention it on the same page, then in the footnotes, just put: Ibid. p. 12 or whatever the page may be.

Hope this helps.
    oh thankyou, i think i get it :)
    Feminist artists often paint about own experiences. Feminism created a new theoretical position and a new aesthetic category - the position of female experience. It reduced what had always been seen as universal - the position of male experience. It soon became apparent that the art that attracts us most is the art that we can relate to, art that shares our own beliefs and/or experiences.
    Norma Broude, Mary D Garrard, The Power Of Feminist Art, New York, 1994,
    pp.10-12

is that right?

ETA: oh shit, i have a list of the books i used, i havent got them anymore, got all the info but forgot the publication dates and where. am i likely to lose many marks?
    you can look the publication books up I expect, google the book title, or search amazon for it (even if it's some old obscure book) might as well look for them if you have time :)
    oh yeah didnt think of that lol, last minute panics and all :p
    is this citing, refrencing whatever its called right?

A list of references are materials that are referred to within your essay, but the material referred to has only been read in a small amount (e.g. Two pages of a 300 page book). A bibliography would be a list of those books you have read in full.

A citation is included in the text to give indication that that part of the text is from another source (or adapted from). The citation contains a small detail of the author and year which can then be found in the reference list. Or if you are writing more academically you wouldn't use harvard you would use the number system (e.g. denoted by[1]).

I don't know why I felt the need to say this, I guess I am sick of revising already.

HTH anyway
    Steve
    Norma Broude, Mary D Garrard, The Power Of Feminist Art, New York, 1994,
    pp.10-12

is that right?

ETA: oh shit, i have a list of the books i used, i havent got them anymore, got all the info but forgot the publication dates and where. am i likely to lose many marks?

Remember to put the title in itallics and you'll be fine.

You won't lose marks if you're consistent with the referencing. Amazon will have all the referencing info like publishing locations and dates etc.
    yeah i found them all, thanx alot, i do an art course so only have two essays a year, so dont get much practice, last time i did it wrong and this is my dissertation proposal so the next one will be my dissertation so really wanted to get it right.

thanks for your help :)
    mrbox99 wrote: »
    Or if you are writing more academically you wouldn't use harvard you would use the number system (e.g. denoted by[1]).
    Well, that's just wrong... Harvard is used all the way up to peer-reviewed academic journals. Referencing systems are not ranked by 'academicness', but are used depending on the needs of the field.

Pink Glitter: your department should have a style sheet which tells you whick referencing system to use. Harvard is like; 'john smith argues that the sky is blue (Smith 1999: 45)'. This is then in your bibliography as:

Smith, John (1999) Why I Think the Sky is Blue, Oxford: Oxford University Press

If it's foot noting, then it's totally different, with lots of ibids (as above) and stuff. If it's footnoting, consult a decent style sheet.
    Pink Glitter: your department should have a style sheet which tells you whick referencing system to use. Harvard is like; 'john smith argues that the sky is blue (Smith 1999: 45)'. This is then in your bibliography as:

Smith, John (1999) Why I Think the Sky is Blue, Oxford: Oxford University Press
    I would always use the Harvard system, too. Though the Yale (footnotes) system Thunderstruck mentioned is also fine in some places. You should ask which one your institution prefers.
    piccolo wrote: »
    I would always use the Harvard system, too. Though the Yale (footnotes) system Thunderstruck mentioned is also fine in some places. You should ask which one your institution prefers.

I don't know what it's like in UCL or the Unis that any of you other guys are at, but there's no concesus or standardised practice about referencing at Bristol so I've been taught different things by different people. The Yale system is the one I've been taught but I guess either are fine. Just as long as you're consistent with it you'll be fine.
    Well, that's just wrong... Harvard is used all the way up to peer-reviewed academic journals. Referencing systems are not ranked by 'academicness', but are used depending on the needs of the field.

I would like to beg the differ, I don't think either of us are incorrect actually. I was stating this because I currently reference in harvard for all modules I do but I have been told that as I progress from level 1-3 it is recommended I use the number system, especially in my final year project.

Steve
    piccolo wrote: »
    You should ask which one your institution prefers.

I suppose that is the case, I was obviously incorrect in assuming it was standard (for all) to use a certain system when your writing academically.
    well I use the numbered system exclusively and have done for the last 4 years, but harvard's used just as much in books on the subjects I've been doing.
    I don't know what it's like in UCL or the Unis that any of you other guys are at, but there's no concesus or standardised practice about referencing at Bristol so I've been taught different things by different people. The Yale system is the one I've been taught but I guess either are fine. Just as long as you're consistent with it you'll be fine.
    We'd get bollocked for using Yale - UCL insist on Harvard, oddly.
    mrbox99 wrote: »
    I would like to beg the differ, I don't think either of us are incorrect actually. I was stating this because I currently reference in harvard for all modules I do but I have been told that as I progress from level 1-3 it is recommended I use the number system, especially in my final year project.
    Steve
    Fair enough mate. Personally, I don't like the Yale footnoting system, cause it breaks up the reading flow, having to constantly skip down to the bottom of the page to check the references. And I HATE books which either 'footnote' at the end of the chapter, or even worse, at the end of the book. I mean, what's the point?!?!
    Fair enough mate. Personally, I don't like the Yale footnoting system, cause it breaks up the reading flow, having to constantly skip down to the bottom of the page to check the references. And I HATE books which either 'footnote' at the end of the chapter, or even worse, at the end of the book. I mean, what's the point?!?!

I don't want to stop using Harvard simply because I am used to referencing in the system now. I agree with your comment but I suppose as I progress in the next two years I won't have a choice, unfortunately..