Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Referencing - help!!!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
Basically, my lecturer for one of my classes has not put the refferencing up on the virtual learning environment yet and it's pissing me off as the 3,000 word assignment has to be in on Thursday.

Basically, people have been Emailing him constantly asking for help and asking how to reference and he just isn't replying. I bumped in to him on town last Thursday and he said he'd got my Email and would put the referencing up on that day as soon as he got in. He said he thought he'd done it, but he must've forgotten to save it.

Now the essay has to be in in three days, I've Emailed everybody in the group to contact him and ask for it. He also handed back our essay plans and told us they were wrong, despite giving us all marks in the 60s... Then told us we had to add things which aren't even relevent for the question.

Am I in my rights to ask for an extention? I already have learning difficulties so it'll make learning this completely new referencing system hard enough...
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Namaste wrote: »
    Am I in my rights to ask for an extention?

:no: not really. you're a university student now and if you cannot get your answers from your lecturers, you are expected to research how to reference on your own and get it done that way. you could ask for an extension but i doubt it'd be granted tbh.
    If you know what referencing system you are meant to be using you can easily get a guide on the internet. i found one easily enough when i couldn't remember how to do it, said how to refernce all the different sources and how to write a bibliography etc. we use the Harvard referncing system, you might be using a differnt one though.
  • BunnieBunnie Posts: 6,099 Master Poster
    I wouldnt say this is a reason for an extension. Everyone else is in the same situation.
    I would recommend speaking to the head of your department who will know the referencing you should be using and you will then be able to research how to do it.
    otter wrote: »
    :no: not really. you're a university student now and if you cannot get your answers from your lecturers, you are expected to research how to reference on your own and get it done that way. you could ask for an extension but i doubt it'd be granted tbh.

But we don't even know what the referencing system is called to research it and the tutor is not answering Emails.
    Bunnie wrote: »
    I wouldnt say this is a reason for an extension. Everyone else is in the same situation.
    I would recommend speaking to the head of your department who will know the referencing you should be using and you will then be able to research how to do it.
    he is head of department :crying:
    you're not going to loose marks for using the wrong referencing system are you? I've never thought it mattered which you use so long as it's consistent throughout the whole document and easy to read.
    Replicant wrote: »
    you're not going to loose marks for using the wrong referencing system are you? I've never thought it mattered which you use so long as it's consistent throughout the whole document and easy to read.

Yeah it does, you can lose a lot of marks.
    Yeah it does, you can lose a lot of marks.

how annoying. that's rather pedantic of your department imo, but then I guess it's dependant on subject.

in my experience, physics / comp sci journal papers (and books) all use different referencing styles, and as such I can use whichever I like, and no one seems to care. (nor do I loose marks or have received negative comments).

you might find it helpful to use a program called endnote if you can get your hands on it, you can input references, and it'll format them for you in whichever style you like. I had a training session on it a while back, but I'd have to buy it so didnt bother.
    if your course is science based you'll no doubt reference with the harvard system:)
    if your course is science based you'll no doubt reference with the harvard system:)

yeah, that's highly likely :)
    yeah, that's highly likely

yeah. so what are you studying namaste?

Nope, it isn't Harvard, he said specifically that it isn't. We usually do use that system.

It isn't the one that the history dept uses either.
    yeah. so what are you studying namaste?

I'm studying human rights.
    how annoying. that's rather pedantic of your department imo, but then I guess it's dependant on subject.

in my experience, physics / comp sci journal papers (and books) all use different referencing styles, and as such I can use whichever I like, and no one seems to care. (nor do I loose marks or have received negative comments).

you might find it helpful to use a program called endnote if you can get your hands on it, you can input references, and it'll format them for you in whichever style you like. I had a training session on it a while back, but I'd have to buy it so didnt bother.

No, it has to be of a specific style, you can lose a lot of points from it, lecturers can be really picky over referencing, though maybe that's just my lecturers.
    No, it has to be of a specific style, you can lose a lot of points from it, lecturers can be really picky over referencing, though maybe that's just my lecturers.

precisely that, like I said, it must be different for your area of academia.
    precisely that, like I said, it must be different for your area of academia.

Yeah it's driving me crazy because we are paying his wages.
    maybe that's just my lecturers.
    some of myn are like that, forgetting the dot after et al. is enough to piss some of them off :banghead:
    Well my friend is offcially fucked...

She had to finish her essay tonight because she has to g home tomorrow and won't have another chance it hand it in.

Sucks to be her because she hasn't any idea how to reference it.