Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

A little advice needed..

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hey, im 16 and next september i will be going to uni. I have been with my bf for 18 months, and we have been talking about getting engaged before uni and married afterwards. We wil be both 18 by then. Do you think its the right think to do? Im worried going to different unis will cause problems, but i think we are strong enough to get through it. Do you think we would be doing the right thing? Can anyone whos been at uni with a partner elsewhere give me a little advice about what it is like?
thanks a lot

Comments

• Options
    You are going to an University with 16 years? And what are you doing on an university for 2 years? That's the average time to get the paperwork done to start studying. (slight exaggeration, but still)

I think you are too young for marriage and it's all "wooo, we belong together."-teenage spirit you are going through right now. Neither become enganged nor plan marriage and see if it's still what you want when you are actually 18, out of uni and together with him (if!).

Being enganged should mean something and not "phew, he's enganged with me now, so he's ALL MINE, MUAHAHAHHA, and he can't stop loving me."
  • Options
    BunnieBunnie Posts: 6,099 Master Poster
    When I went to uni, me and my boyfriend at the time split up to uni being my new life, and as harsh as it sounds, I didnt want him to be part of it.
    However, I knew I didnt want to be with him forever, so that could have a large part to play in it.
    On the other hand, my boyfriend who I am currently with, live miles apart, and have done for the last year, so that illustrates it is dependant on the both of you, and the way you feel about eachother.

Don't get engaged just because you are going away, you need to engaged, as you love each other and want to be married. Think about if you werent going away, do you think you would be getting engaged? If no, then just wait.
    A ring on your finger is not likely to make the distance any easier.

You need to worry about this closer to the time, when you say Sept, you do mean 2008 yeah? You have plenty of time, and anything could happen. You could decide you want a job and not uni, or could end up at the same uni.

Hope all works well x
  • Options
    StrubbleS - that does sound harsh.

As for the OP:
    It's not something I ould personally do. Are you doing it just to prove something to everyone or are you deadly serious about each other?
  • Options
    i will be starting uni in sept 2008. i will be 18 by then (as i am almost 17 now) sorry if that wasnt too clear.
    Of course we havent fully decided on which universities we are going to apply too. I guess it is a security thing, not so much "hes mine now forvever" but that i know i what to be with him, so getting engaged will show our commitment and we both geninely want to be married to each other, but we will inevitably be spending a lot less time together at uni. do you really think 18 is too young to be engaged?
  • Options
    Sofie wrote: »
    StrubbleS - that does sound harsh.

Maybe, but do you disagree with it?

I think in the quintessence you were saying the same as I did.

I try to convince people of my opinion (and it's their choice if they agree or forfeit it) not rub their tummies and tell them whatever they do, I will be fine with.
    I guess it is a security thing,
    Engaging with someone is never a security thing. What do you expect him to do? "Wanna be engaged?", "umm,... nah, actually not."

If you are just engaging, because it's the hip thing to do and you have no near plans to marry, it is absolutely insignifficantly and devoid of meaning, in my opinion.

and because people have been complaining: But do what YOU think is right, because that is the ultimate correct thing to do, what do weird internet strangers know? :flirt:
  • Options
    i wouldnt say getting engaged was "hip"... i cant say i know anyone off the top of my head who is my age and engaged. And we have all intention to marry after we have done uni, we wouldnt be getting engaged for the sake of it. I was wondering if people who have been in a serious relationships then done to different universities, did it change for relationship/feelings in any way? im only asking for a little advice.
  • Options
    i wouldnt say getting engaged was "hip"... i cant say i know anyone off the top of my head who is my age and engaged. And we have all intention to marry after we have done uni, we wouldnt be getting engaged for the sake of it. I was wondering if people who have been in a serious relationships then done to different universities, did it change for relationship/feelings in any way? im only asking for a little advice.

Look, getting engaged means if Person A proposes to person B and B accepts. Why aren't you engaged yet? And why is the reason for becoming enganged because you are moving away to an university?

For you it is clearly romantical to have a ring around your finger, telling all those girls your age, who aren't engaged that there is someone back home waiting for you, Am I wrong? I do not care if you admit I am or say I'm not, just ask the question and give yourself an answer.

Man, I wanted to marry my first girlfriend too and have 12 kids and live on the carribean. I think you are overly hasty. Propose to him if you want to marry him (and are going to marry him somewhere shorter than 2 years from now), not to have a "security-thing", because you move away to study. There is all time in the world if you finish uni.
  • Options
    Well I don't know anyone who went to uni and actually stayed with their partner for the whole 3/4years. I'm not saying you won't stay together but its quite unlikely. University changes you so much. You have a new life, with new friends in a new city. And trying to fit in a boyfriend from another city who also has all of these new things just won't be easy. But good luck! I suggest you just stay together and try and make it work. I don't see the point in getting engaged if you won't be getitng married til after university anyway.
  • Options
    tbh people tend to change a hell of a lot at university. why do you have to tie the knot before you go? why not afterwards? being at 2 separate universities will put an enormous strain on your relationship if you are not seeing each other often for sure. why not go to the same university or choose ones close by each other if you are that serious?!
  • Options
    Fair play if you both really love eachother but take each day as it comes i wouldnt commit to being engaged quite yet .. see how its goes, go to Uni have a good time and keep contact and see how it goes really because you might find that you end up staying together and getting married which would be really sweet or you might just grow apart. Good luck any way
  • Options
    StrubbleS wrote: »
    Maybe, but do you disagree with it?

No I don't, but there's no need to come across so judgemental as we don't know her situation and what her relationship is like with her boyfriend.
  • Options
    I don't know anyone who's still with the same partners they had before they went to uni. It just doesn't happen.

Personally, I think 18 is far too young to be considering marriage. People change so much that nothing's forever. When I was 18 I was a completely different person and I wanted different things back then, now I'm 21 and have a completely different view on my life and what I want out of it.

I strongly suggest you re-think your engagement. If you love each other now, be content with that as of now. Why don't you cross the marriage bridge when you come it. I can pretty much guarantee that you won't be crossing it, not even near it after you've experienced 3 years at university.
  • Options
    I got 'engaged' at sixteen and whilst at the time I was in love with him and pretty bawled over at his public proposal in his mum's kitchen :rolleyes: i never actually thought i'd marry the guy. Perhaps you could get eachother an eternity ring or something? That way it is a nice gesture but you aren't tying yourself down.
  • Options
    I can pretty much guarantee that you won't be crossing it, not even near it after you've experienced 3 years at university.

So you are saying we have no chance? I know im young...but surely age doesnt matter about how you feel about somebody. We wouldnt be getting engaged for another year and a half anyway...and we will most probably be at universities not too far away from each other
  • Options
    I don't know anyone who's still with the same partners they had before they went to uni. It just doesn't happen.

Thanks for the vote of confidence.

To the OP- If you both want it to work and want to be with eachother then there is no reason why you shouldn't give it a go and for you both to come through it :)
  • Options
    BunnieBunnie Posts: 6,099 Master Poster
    2 of my best friends spent time before/during/after uni with their partners, and are still very happy with them now.

As I said, it depends on the individuals involved
  • Options
    Bunnie wrote: »
    2 of my best friends spent time before/during/after uni with their partners, and are still very happy with them now.

As I said, it depends on the individuals involved

:yes:
  • Options
    it's very very difficult going away to uni and trying to uphold a relationship while your partner's at another uni. especially if either / both of you are insecure people. your imagination will only feed your insecurities, assumptions of him going off with other women follow shortly after he starts talking about his new freinds (some of whom will without doubt be female).

only if you both trust each other completely, and are strong enough to overcome the insecurities that will result from you being in different places at a stage in your lives where you'll both be meeting new people, will you manage to stay together through uni.

it is possible though, but it's something you need to seriously think about, and weigh up with how much you trust each other, and how insecure you both are as individuals.
  • Options
    hey,
    it's great that you have found the person that you want to spend the rest of your life with. as far as seperate uni's go, i do know of a few couples who have kept their relationships going while apart, which is encouraging (your replies are a lil negative).
    i think that if you and your bf believe your relationship is strong enough, then you will get through it. i'm sure you both acknowledge it will be a testing 3/4 years apart, and heart breaking too (im dreading leaving my bf behind) by all means get engaged, only you know how you both feel and whether you think your relationship can endure seperate uni's!
    don't know about u, but im most dreading not being able to spend all my time with my bf.... aggh!!!
    good luck anyway!!
  • Options
    What do your (and his) parents think about this?
  • Options
    Totally depends.

16 might be seen as being a bit on the young side to get engaged, but it's more to do with maturity and being sensible about it rather than just how old you are.

I asked my g/f to marry me when I was 17 the week before I went to uni. We were engaged for about an hour till we both thought this is wrong and stuff, so we split up. For the best really, she's all settled down and got her own house and baby now and I'm erm..not ready for that at all!

One of my housemates at uni kept it going with his girlfriend, she ended up moving up to go to the same uni as him, she ended up resenting him and it all finished. Like I say, it does really depend but I'd say don't make any firm plans about how things are going to work (i.e moving in together in X amount of time etc) because uni can and does change you, but it doesn't mean your relationship has to end.

See how it goes, I think the engagement thing is something you'll just have to decide between you.
  • Options
    I got engaged (and lived with the guy) when I was 18, then at the age of 19, went away to university a two hour drive/train journey away.

I didn't really get involved at university and ended up coming home most weekends. I felt miserable at uni and ended up dropping out to come back home, only to break up with the guy a few months later.

What's the point of being engaged for three years? Why not just be together? You can only try. Long distance relationships aren't easy but they do work for some people. The odds are against you, how many people end up married to the person they were with from the age of 15?

Not meaning to put you off, just giving my experience. Make the most of university and being young. It's hard to do that when your mind is elsewhere.
  • Options
    I don't think getting engaged will make any difference to whether you stay together or not, people change so much from your age into adulthood and its more to do with that whether you stay together, not whether or not you have a ring round your finger.

I personally wouldnt get engaged that young, partly because its too young (imo) and partly because i dont see the point in getting engaged if you are not going to start planning a wedding. You can be commited to each other without getting engaged.

As for whether or not you'll be able to stay together through uni, none of us can tell you the answer. When i was your age i thought i'd die without my boyfriend and i never thought we'd break up, 2 years down the line and i was a totally different person, i broke up with him and never looked back. I still speak to him now and i cant imagine ever feeling that way about him so it just goes to show how much people can change and feelings can change.
    On the other hand my best friend met her boyfriend when she was 16 and he went away to uni for 4 years, they're now married and happy as ever.

Don't worry too much about the future, you're still very young and you never know whats around the corner.
  • Options
    I think alot of it depends on the relationship you have before uni, and what your other half is also doing. I'm 17 and i've been in a LDR for nearly 18 months, however, i'm undecided about uni because i'm not sure if it's worth it for me. It's not easy but i think the reason it's working is because we're laid back and take it one day at a time. One of my friends got engaged this time last year, after 3 months. Then he moved in because he got kicked out of home and she started 6th form at a new school, met a new guy and decided she wanted to be with him instead. She was quite fickle though and he did it out of insecurity. It really does depend on the individuals involved. But tbh it sounds as if you're doing it to solidify your relationship before you go to uni. Just be together and see how it goes.
  • Options
    Sofie wrote: »
    What do your (and his) parents think about this?

we havent talked to them about getting married, but they know we are very serious, and my parents are wondering what will happen to us next year. I know a lot of you here think i am very young, but i believe i hve found "theone" so to speak. Maybe we should just stay committed without getting engaged, but i do want to marry him, we would be getting engaged with all intention of marrying. But i cant imagine us breaking up. and i wouldnt break up with him just incase our feelings changed when we were away.
  • Options
    to be honest though it just seems like a very insecure thing to do. I'm 17 now and I'd love to marry my boyfriend, but I'd rather know that, in 4 years time when I leave uni, we're together because we survived the experience and still wanted to be together, rather than because there's a ring round my finger which means that we kinda feel we ought to be.
  • Options
    Hi there! I also know a few people who have made it through long distant university and that are still together. I greatly agree with Replicant that trust is extremely important here. Being able to trust each other will facilitate the distance and will help the relationship.
    It is up to you if you want to get engaged, i think everyone is mainly making sure that you are not doing it for the wrong reasons, that's all.
    Make sure you talk to your boyfriend seriously about this and perhaps try and suggests other ways to keep the closeness, and make sure you make an agrement to visit each other at least every other weekend. :)

If you truly believe he is the one, then that is very good news and you shouldnt feel bad about wanting to commit with the biggest commitment there is. The only suggestion here is to be patient. If you believe you have your whole future together, there is no need to rush, as perhaps getting engaged after university will be even more special as you have been through this distance and are as strong as ever.
    Good luck! :wave: