Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Barton to face assault charges

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
BBC - Police get Barton attack report

I wonder what people will think of this; for one I'm pleased that Dabo pressed charges, and if it is proved that this was an act not in self-defense then I hope he gets a custodial term.

He's done this more than once before; an incident with a taxi driver in Liverpool; and attacking an Everton supporting schoolboy while on tour.

The only bright spot here is that Man City and Stuart Pearce have (just like with Ben Thatcher) shown that they are a class act when it comes to discipline by suspending him. If psycho can hold his aggression where it belongs then so can you Joey.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Joey Barton should really get help with his anger or something.

I'm not surprised that Dabo pressed charges and I would've done the same thing if I was him.
    Nobody knows what happened, but it will be interesting to see the case.

Just to say that the "poor defenceless Everton fan" got what his mouth deserved, but nobody talks about that.

The only bright spot here is that Man City and Stuart Pearce have (just like with Ben Thatcher) shown that they are a class act when it comes to discipline by suspending him. If psycho can hold his aggression where it belongs then so can you Joey.

They should come down heavy on that coward Michael Ball as well, after his stamp on Ronaldo in the derby today. Gotta be consistent like - they're both mindless acts of thuggery.
    Addict wrote: »
    coward Michael Ball

Did you see the way that he waited until the ref's back was turned.

Cunt.
    Just to say that the "poor defenceless Everton fan" got what his mouth deserved, but nobody talks about that.

Don't doubt it BUT he is a professional, and is still bound by the law. If he was being heckled and they took action against the young fan then thats fair play BUT wading in at the first opportunity isn't.

Balls got a big ban coming
    Sofie wrote: »
    Joey Barton should really get help with his anger or something.
    He has been doing for the past year. Fat lot of good that did.
    They should come down heavy on that coward Michael Ball as well, after his stamp on Ronaldo in the derby today. Gotta be consistent like - they're both mindless acts of thuggery.

Well the FA will sort that one out. Tbh, I can't remember their ever being a situation where a Premiership team says "actually, I though our player should've been sent off for that, so we'll ban him for 3 matches." If anyone else in the history of the league did it, you might have a point. As it is, it'll be dealt with by the FA like any other on-field incident that was missed by the ref.
    Well the FA will sort that one out. Tbh, I can't remember their ever being a situation where a Premiership team says "actually, I though our player should've been sent off for that, so we'll ban him for 3 matches." If anyone else in the history of the league did it, you might have a point. As it is, it'll be dealt with by the FA like any other on-field incident that was missed by the ref.

True, but Pearce came down hard on Thatcher for the Mendes incident, so it will be interesting to see what he does.
    I don't reckon you can compare it to the Thatcher incident though. It was nowhere near as bad (well about as bad as the offence Rooney committed on the same player not too long ago), and Thatcher had a history of this type of behaviour as recently as pre-season. The FA will give him 3 matches, and Pearce will accept it, and say he's going to "have a word" with the player. That's fair enough imo. Ironically, I never watched the match, but from what I heard, Ball did a better job of shackling Ronaldo than any other full back this season.

Tbh, I'm in two minds as to what is the best thing to do with Barton. I mean keep him, and you're just bringing back a player that's let the club down again and again. Sell him, and you're just giving him a huge wage increase and a big signing on fee, which isn't exactly going to be a punishment. And terminating his contract will be exactly the same, but without the club getting a penny. I suppose it depends on the outcome of the assault accusations really.
    That's fair enough imo. Ironically, I never watched the match, but from what I heard, Ball did a better job of shackling Ronaldo than any other full back this season.

Apart from Ronaldo beating him in the box and Ball taking him down for the penalty, he probably did an alright job. All he did was foul him though, most of the game. I suppose that's one way of shackling Ronaldo, but Ball shouldn't have been on the park. I've got no time for hatchet men like that - Distin and Dunne had fantastic performances to be admired, without the need to resort to underhand dirty tricks.

Regarding Barton, I don't think it would be in City's interests to sell him, seeing as he's your best player. I'd look for a new manager first. Pearce is one of the most over-rated managers of recent years.
    Pearce is one of the most over-rated managers of recent years.
    By who? :eek2:
    Well media hype for a start - wasn't he touted as possible England manager?
    Well media hype for a start - wasn't he touted as possible England manager?

That's not hype. That's just how desperate we were. Seriously, I don't know anyone who considers him a brilliant manager. Everyone likes him, and thinks he has a fresh outlook on management, but that's not the same thing.
    That's not hype. That's just how desperate we were. Seriously, I don't know anyone who considers him a brilliant manager. Everyone likes him, and thinks he has a fresh outlook on management, but that's not the same thing.

I think he's alright but he's by no means 'brilliant'.
    By who? :eek2:

The public AND the media.

"Oh Stuart pearce is such a promising young manager"
    "He has the right spirit and mentality to succeed"
    "He should be next England manager"
    "Playing David James up front - tactical genius, Stuart Pearce and his audacious unorthodox ways"

These are amongst some of the things that you would hear about him. He was the nation's darling manager at one stage and everyone was tipping him for big things.
    Ball's been charged with violent conduct, admitted it, sent Ronaldo an apology, dunno what the ban will be yet. Fair enough.
    I think he should be charged and given a custodial sentance. These "men" are in the public eye and are supposed to be rolemodels for the youth of today. He should be made an example of, mind you I would say that no matter who commited assault! *prepares for the uproar of protest*
    Who says that they are role models? Aren;t we all supposed to be equal in the eyes of the law anyway?
    Who says that they are role models? Aren;t we all supposed to be equal in the eyes of the law anyway?

I'd say anyone that kids are likely to copy behaviour off is a role model, whether they want to be or not. Not that this should make any difference to any court proceedings of course.