Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Potatoes!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I have lots of potatoes that I need to use up, have you got any good ideas? So far I've come up with mashed or roasted. I have no imagination today.

So... inspire me :D

Comments

• Options
    Are they big or small 'taties?

If they're small then hasselback 'em, if they're big then I'd probably do some kind of root mash or the always delightful - if heart attack inducing - pan haggerty :yum:

Potato wedges? Boiled and then fried up? Sliced thinly and layered with butter and black pepper and then baked in the oven...
  • Options
    I've got big uns and a bag of randomly sized maris piper.
    What's pan haggerty?
  • Options
    Do you have a frying pan, potatoes, onions, butter, cheese, salt, pepper and some type of oil? If so then you can make it, no problem.

Pan Haggerty

Potatoes
    Big breezeblock of cheddar
    2 medium onions
    30g butter
    1 tbsp veg oil
    Salt and pepper to taste

Slice the potatoes thinly and dice the onions, grate the cheese.

Combine the butter and oil in a frying pan, when melted remove the pan from the heat and place layers of potatoes and onion, sprinkling each layer with cheese.

Cover with a pan lid and cook through gently for about 25 minutes or 'til the potatoes and onions are cooked.

If you like as a finishing touch (to finish off your arteries, really) you can:

Pre-heat the grill 5 mins before the dish is cooked, sprinkle the leftover cheese on the top, place under grill until the cheese is golden brown and bubbly and delicious.

Serve straight from the pan :yum:

When my mother makes it she add cream, too, and she sometimes bakes rather than fries it so it's very like dauphinoise but even worse for you and even tastier. She layers potatoes, onions, cream and cheese, bakes it in the oven for about 30 mins and voila.

Heaven on a plate but about a month's worth of calories. It's so unfair /Kevin the teenager :razz:
  • Options
    Good God I think I'd die! It does sound good though :yum:

I think I'm going to go with the healthier (hahahahahahahahaha) option of boiling then and then frying them with whatever spices and herbs and bits and bobs that we have in the cupboard, and then have them with beans for that ultra classy finish.

I think I'll roast the rest of them tomorrow, but in a pretentious way with rosemary and sea salt :D
  • Options
    Potato dauphinoise :yum:
  • Options
    leek and potato soup?
  • Options
    whats hasslebacking them?

Id make a load of chips tbh, but then again, im a bit common like that.
  • Options
    I don't know how to make chips! :o
  • Options
    I don't know how to make chips! :o

Chop them into chip sized bits of potato and then deep fry them, or oven them? :p

Why not make potato wedges?
  • Options
    chop them into chip shapes, put them in a bowl and drizzle with some oil or melted butter and mix around so that theyre all just very lightly covered. Put on a baking tray evenly, sprinkle with a little salt and then bake for about 20 mins at gas mark 6 or 7 or until the colour you like them. :yum:

Failing that, chop em into chips and bung them in the chip fryer, but I dont have one of those.
  • Options
    I don't have a chip fryer either.

I'm still going with boiling and frying (in a frying pan :razz: ) and I'm going to the shop to get something more exciting than beans to have with it. Not sure what yet though.
  • Options
    Jacket potato?

Meat & potato pie?
  • Options
    Cheese and onion rosti.

whats hasslebacking them?

Briggi's hasselback potatoes
  • Options
    ooooh, THOSE.

I think they should be called hasslehoff potatoes though tbh thehoff.png
  • Options
    potato salad....and send any extra round to friends/family :p
  • Options
    potato cakes :D
  • Options
    My dad used to make this thing, cube the potatos, them in tinfoil with onions, garlic or other spices and stuff, i liked them with parmasean cheese too, and put them on the grill all bundled up in the tin foil. Or you could probably put them in the oven too.