Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

17 and voting in local elections?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hi, just a quick question:
Today my parents got their polling cards for the upcoming local elections through the post, but strangely, there was one for me too. Thing is, I'm 17, and not 18 till June!
I thought you had to be 18 to vote, or is it different for the local elections?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    that is strange, you need to be 18, i'm sure. not sure what you can do about it though, just..don't vote
    Contact the Electorial Registration Office, the number should be on the back of your polling card with all the info about how to vote, and explain the situation they may have your DOB wrong or just sent one out by mistake. best to make sure your details are right for when you vote in the future.

http://www.electoralcommission.org.uk/your-vote/registering.cfm

That site might be of some use as well:)
    I voted when I was 17 - the election was the day after my birthday but technically I was 17 because I sent it off before my 18th birthday.
    You have to be 18 to vote, but there's some quirk in the system that means a few people with birthdays shortly after the election get polling cards even though they will be too young to vote.
    Voting is for losers!!!! :D
    Strangely enough I've been getting voting cards since I was 16.

I never vote.
    I have just got my voting card, even though i'm 17....i'm not 18 till november....so what do I do......go and vote? or wait till next year?? Lol
    I usually always vote, if you dont vote I dont think you can complain about policies you disagree with. Having said that, its going to be hardwork motivating myself to vote on May1, I really dont know who to vote for. Im not voting my usual way, and there isnt a decent alternative so I might not vote in the end.

:thumb:
    My sister is 13 and got a polling card this year. Found out they had her DOB wrong.
    Don't vote until you're 18.

From the electoral commission:

Who can register to vote?

You can register to vote if you are:

16 or over (but you can not vote until you are 18)
    British, Irish Republic or Commonwealth citizen
    citizen of a European Union country living in the UK
    citizen of the Channel Islands or Isle of Man living in the UK
    just to update things,
    I was worried id get there and theyd check and say something like "uhhh mistake you're 17, why did you turn up?"
    but no, i was able to vote even though im not 18 for almost 2 months, but hey ho!
    I think you just broke the law missy.
    Certainly did - election fraud. Possibly because the person who filled the registration from didn't put the birthdate on their and that is an offence too.
    Certainly did - election fraud. Possibly because the person who filled the registration from didn't put the birthdate on their and that is an offence too.

Right, that's the whole thing voided then. Let's do it all again. :p