Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

innocent man accused of being a pedophile dies

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Read this news story on the BBC website yesterday I think. Was so sad only I can't find it now! Has anyone heard about this?

Three teens (or young folk) saw this old guy in a park/gardens and basically beat the crap out of him so much so that he had to go to a nursing home and died. Reminded me of the line in 'Thou Shalt Not' saying that not every bloke who likes kids is a pedophile..some are just nice.

I've noticed that the word seems to get thrown around. The other day I mentioned to a friend that I had chosen to do my essay on a couple of poems by Lewis Carroll and instantly it was 'oooh he was a child molestor'. Honestly :rolleyes: No idea how true this is but I think I can manage to look at his poetry objectively. Plus I have a feeling it's untrue anyway.

Sorry no link for the story I mentioned. If anyone can find it that would be great.

Comments

• Options
    BBC - 'Paedophile' gang sentanced to life

Heres the link; this was a group of youths (although one was aged 27) who had been drinking heavily and attacked several other people during the day. One of the girls (the one who initiated the attack) was pregnant at the time.

The 68 year old man died six months later of complications resulting from the brain damage he suffered; he choked on his own vomit.

A forth 19-year old who has pleaded guilty to murder is yet to be sentenced.

My thoughts; where the hell do you begin correcting behaviour like this?
  • Options
    Ahh thanks :) It's just terrible. Seems someone who is pregnant can actually contemplate thuggish behaviour like this. Some people are just unbelievable.
  • Options
    In this nice weather there are loads of people out enjoying the sun and in the botanics the other day there were loads of people sunbathing and there was an old man with a pair of binoculars sitting on a bench, the same could have easily happened to him.
  • Options
    My thoughts; where the hell do you begin correcting behaviour like this?

A very good question, you know you are old when you are questioning 'what are we to do with the youth of today?'.

Seriously though, these people need to be given a long time in jail during which you can work with them on their obvious anger issues.
  • Options
    And you wonder why 9/10 men wouldn't stop to help a lost child crying on the street.
  • Options
    budda wrote: »
    A very good question, you know you are old when you are questioning 'what are we to do with the youth of today?'.

Seriously though, these people need to be given a long time in jail during which you can work with them on their obvious anger issues.

I thought it might be the mob attitude that they've grown up with. I can imagine that they fancy they are doing society a favour by getting rid of pedophiles, wrongly suspected or not. When it comes to children there is definitely a certain type of aggression which is understandable but when it comes out in such a skewed and messed up way like this then we know that there is something majorly wrong.

As far as blame goes, I don't want to denote it to just one thing obviously but the name and shame campaigns started by certain tabloids hasn't helped at all.
  • Options
    Rachael; I would suggest that any attempt to attribute rational choice motives to this act is pointless - with the previous unprovoked attacks, and coupled with the heavy drinking involved, I think that it is probably more reasonable to infer that they simply fancied a row with someone, anyone - just for the buzz of it.
  • Options
    Rachael; I would suggest that any attempt to attribute rational choice motives to this act is pointless - with the previous unprovoked attacks, and coupled with the heavy drinking involved, I think that it is probably more reasonable to infer that they simply fancied a row with someone, anyone - just for the buzz of it.

Depressingly enough I suspect you are right, but why do people do this?
  • Options
    Anyone who thinks the so-called 'Sarah's Law' would be a good idea should think carefully about how many more similar cases like this we would see...
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote: »
    Anyone who thinks the so-called 'Sarah's Law' would be a good idea should think carefully about how many more similar cases like this we would see...

:yes:

I agree, I have never favored a 'Sarah's Law'. Not everyone will act responsibly. I remember reading about the mob who attacked a pediatrician believing it meant he was a pedophile. They simply didn't understand a pediatrician was a doctor who looks after infants and children.
  • Options
    Anyone who remembers the baying lynch mob that roamed the Paulsgrove estate in Pompey a few years back would be very cautious about 'Sarahs Law'.
  • Options
    Calvin wrote: »

I agree, I have never favored a 'Sarah's Law'. Not everyone will act responsibly. I remember reading about the mob who attacked a pediatrician believing it meant he was a pedophile. They simply didn't understand a pediatrician was a doctor who looks after infants and children.

Indeed.
    And you wonder why 9/10 men wouldn't stop to help a lost child crying on the street.

• Options

Its got to such a stupid degree that sometimes when I offer to help women with their prams on the Tube they recoil in horror.
  • Options
    Its got to such a stupid degree that sometimes when I offer to help women with their prams on the Tube they recoil in horror.

but if you were a woman, they wouldn't even think twice about you offering to help them.
  • Options
    Depressingly enough I suspect you are right, but why do people do this?

The question you have to ask is why do people feel the need to get into such a drunken state.
  • Options
    But people can get parellectically drunk and not do this.
  • Options
    Rachael wrote: »
    But people can get parellectically drunk and not do this.

True but their circumstances of life may be totally different than those of the attackers.
  • Options
    Yerascrote wrote: »
    True but their circumstances of life may be totally different than those of the attackers.

Yup, I dont think that they were drunk can be used as an excuse. It may just be me but when you're drunk I don't think you act completely out of character.
  • Options
    I think this is an instance of them using the label paedophile, as an excuse to hurt someone rather than the teenagers genuinely thinking he was an abuser.

Its what will happen most people who are camped outside of an alleged paedophiles house aren’t really bothered about protecting children they just like being able to cause trouble with an "excuse" than no one will critersize.

Have you ever known a nasty hard man who loves beating people up under dubious grounds, making up pointless lies to justify it "he looked at my bird" or even he hit her. If such a person ever gets a real reason to beat someone up its like they can’t believe their luck its like they won the lottery, they love it.
    It’s maybe like schoolboys giving a kicking to someone who is "gay" gay meaning different or wimpy rather than homosexual.

I find myself agreeing with a lot of the "political correctness gone mad" claims. But I’ve not come across this one when I’ve offered to help (rarely) it’s been gratefully received or cheerfully declined.

Perhaps they think they can manage fine and they see your help as sexist rather than them thinking your about to abduct and abuse the baby.
  • Options
    That's fucking awful. People just look for any old excuse to start a fight. If I'm honest, I don't really think that it provides a particularly good case against the implementation of 'Sarah's Law' though. Maybe the whole naming and shaming thing would stop innocent people like this being attacked.