Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

What To Do?

BillieTheBotBillieTheBot Posts: 8,721 Bot
As some people on here know, I have some mental health issues (self harm) and at times it has really affected the way I am around certain people.

Currently, I am a student studying for CACHE Foundation Award and am hoping to do the second level (certificate I think) in September.

I have a few problems:
- For the last 16 days or so, I've been fine and have been SH free and would like to carry on studying in September.
- If I do decide that this is what I really want to do in September, I have to basically admit that I self harm. (because of the question relating to health issues and stuff)
I have no idea what my mental health will be like in September. If I decide not to do this, then I may have to explain everything to my parents. (which I'm not currently ready to do)

Unrelated to this, but:
Do I need to inform my manager that I suffer from IBS & wheat & lactose intolerance? She knows about the lactose intolerance because I had to fill in a form when I started there but doesn't know aout the other 2 things because I was only diagnosed on Friday.
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    even if you are fine in september and stay self harm free from now until sept. i'm pretty sure you'd have to say that you have had mental health problems and had a problem with self harm, but that you have not self harmed in the last 4 months (may-september) or however long.
  • Options
    Yeah that's what I thought. The questions about health are:

Are you in good health?
    And:
    Have you ever suffered from any serious illness or had a major operation?

I admit my self harm has never been that 'serious'.
  • Options
    would they have access to your medical notes?
  • Options
    I have no idea. I've never been to the doctor/A&E about this because I'm finding it hard to ask for help and my self harm hasn't been too deep or anything like that and it's stuff I've been able to deal with myself. (I will admit though that I did panic slightly when I cut myself and some of the skin was still attached)
  • Options
    Sofie wrote: »
    I have no idea. I've never been to the doctor/A&E about this because I'm finding it hard to ask for help and my self harm hasn't been too deep or anything like that and it's stuff I've been able to deal with myself. (I will admit though that I did panic slightly when I cut myself and some of the skin was still attached)

if you have no medical notes saying you self harm or have mental health issues, and you do manage to quit self harming, and none of your issues could affect your work any time now or in the future, so long as if you have any scars they aren't visible - then you don't have to mention it unless you want to.
    if they did see your medical records then you would have to say about it, likewise if its likely to affect your work. or if you're dealing with vulnerable individuals/children
  • Options
    Thanks. My problem is that I can go for a few weeks with no problems then for about 1-3 weeks have nothing but problems.
  • Options
    Honestly, if you've not been medically diagnosed with a problem then I wouldn't bother disclosing it. I had/have issues with SH and eating but I've never told an employer but then it's never affected my ability to go in to work. I have spent a couple of days carrying things around on my arms and boiling to death in long sleeve tops but other than that ... no real problems.

As for your intolerance of certain things, you should probably mention that. Should you need time off because of it, it will look better if you've been up front about it.