Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

I know I should keep my nose out...

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
...but I want to know what you'd do.

There's someone I know, not very well (but they're kind of a loner), and recently they've become more and more... unhinged. It's nowhere near my place to suggest they see someone, but they're getting seriously disturbing - to the effect that the other day some of my other friends said they all don't want to be near him anymore! (He said something hateful about women I think..?)

Call me an e-stalker, but I follow his livejournal, and he's probably just doing everything for attention, but a few things make me think he has genuine issues and needs help. Before he goes and hurts himself. Or someone else.

But to be fair, it's not the first time I've come across a disturbed individual (my auntie was quite scitzophrenic - talked to the telly :/) and I've always left it before. None of my business is it. Just this guy (he's always been a bit 'out there' I guess but nothing really bad) recently, seems like he's got a lot of anger and wants to vent it out. I was talking to someone today, and the best place for him (although, we're not GPs) is with professionals where he can't do what he's thinking about... Don't know about his family situation tbh, and I shouldn't stick my nose in but there is obviously something wrong.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    How do you know him? Is there anybody there (lecturer or commitee member or something) that you could voice your concerns to? They may be aware of the problem and be trying to help, or they may have no idea.

I dunno, its a tough one. On the one hand I would want to offer him an ear, and ask if he wanted to go running or do something similarly physical with the aim of letting some of that anger out safely. On the other hand, I would also want to stay well clear if I thought that there was any chance that anger could be taken out on me.
    Thing is, I don't know him that well, he's not easy to talk to if you get me? I think his college tutors know about it and have spoke to him about it but if he doesn't ask for help they can't force it on him.

I mean, it's just starting to build a picture up over time. A few weeks ago he lashed out at a girl (physically, but not *seriously*, I think he ushed her or something), then he had an argument with a friend and was threatening him, then the other day (one of my friends told me this) he was talking to his friends about how he hates women. They're all getting edgy around him now and don't want to hang aroudn with him because he intimidates them in a weird, what the hell is he thinking kind of way.

Really messed up dude. It's not even my place to stick my nose in, I mean we barely say hi if we meet each other. Just he doesn't have any other friends, just hangs out with some guys I know, and one of them brought up the whole psycho 'I hate women' thing.

And his livejournal is kind of narcisstic ramblings 'I know what I must do now, for everyone'. It probably is attention seeking. Still gives me shivers though.
    If his tutors have had a word and offered him help then there isn't much you can do, you can't help a person who doesn't want help.

Of course you can always offer your opinion and tell him how you see things from an outsiders view and where he's gonna end up if he continues the way he does, although then he might just go psycho on you and become obsessed with making your life hell or some weird psycho thing.

That LJ sounds like an entertaining read though :thumb: what's the link? :p
    Haha, sounds like my ex. Have you met him at your uni or something? :p He rants about how women are beneath him and how all women are evil. He also apparently goes on about how he is a god and how people should worship him?!

Fair enough, he's been hurt in the past but the worrying thing is, he says all this and he has a girlfriend. Why this girl is still with him is beyond me.

I'd stay away if I were you :p
    I think it's really admirable of you to notice someone having a tough time and want to try and help; there are far too many people who sit and shake their heads and talk about how terrible people's problems are and then turn around and put the kettle on and forget about it. Or, worse, make fun from a safe distance.

Unfortunately I think you're absolutely right and it's not really your place to intervene at this stage. If you're really serious about helping this guy out, it'll be a long process, and I'd imagine the first step is to gently, subtly, slowly let him see you're not a threat and try to become his friend. Getting to know him and the situation would make you much better placed to help him

Otherwise, I'd mention it to a tutor or someone and then let it go. Much as it is hard to see someone suffering and causing others suffering as a result, a lot of the time you have to let people fight their own battles. It's not a nice thing to say, but if someone doesn't want help, they don't want it, and it's not your place to force it on them.

Again, though, I have a lot of respect for you for wanting to lend a hand.
    You could have him sectioned for his birthday.
    Fuller wrote: »
    You could have him sectioned for his birthday.

First post in a year (-12 days) and you say that??

But that's kind of what me and my mate think is best for him.
    So basically you're worried about him and want to help him but at the same time, don't want to come across as nosey?
    basically, you cannot help someone who doesn't want to be helped. but if he is just doing it for attention, i'd assume he'd take all the help you are willing to give him?!
    ShyBoy wrote: »
    First post in a year (-12 days) and you say that??

But that's kind of what me and my mate think is best for him.
    Whoah there. I appreciate the sentiment, but for God's sake don't rush into trying to get him sectioned!

I think the best course of action would probably be to talk to his tutors. Or does he know your LJ? 'Cos if not you could message him in semi-anonymity and see if he'd like to talk to you online? That kinda negates some of the risk of him taking his anger out on you.
    He's not on my flist, in fact he's not on anybody's flist, but he does talk like he's talking to someone. I'm not worried about him taking his anger out on me. More female friends, cos he does seem to have a 'I hate women' thing going on, admitted being a mysognist - fine he's a twat - but then lashing out even a little and keeps going on about violence and stuff. His graphic design work was rubbished by a university because it's just loads of photographs of himself stylised to make himself look like a superhero or something.
    ShyBoy wrote: »
    He's not on my flist, in fact he's not on anybody's flist, but he does talk like he's talking to someone. I'm not worried about him taking his anger out on me. More female friends, cos he does seem to have a 'I hate women' thing going on, admitted being a mysognist - fine he's a twat - but then lashing out even a little and keeps going on about violence and stuff. His graphic design work was rubbished by a university because it's just loads of photographs of himself stylised to make himself look like a superhero or something.

schizophrenic may be?