Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Smoke, Lies And The Nanny State

2»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    ShyBoy wrote: »
    None, but because of a medical condition he is unable to enter the premises.

I see that.

But what I fail to see is the relevancy to the subject matter.
    If it was up to you to decide on policy, what would you decide? Would you take into account external damage that happens when someone does something undesirable, for example driving a 4x4, smoking, playing music loudly.

Currently I can`t foresee a time when I would be making decisions for others, other than when they had asked me to.

I suspect I would find myself on a slippery slope if I made a habit of sticking my nose into other people`s business based on the desires of some.

That is not somewhere I have a desire to be.
  • Options
    Calvin wrote: »
    Pubs or clubs will be able to choose to be a smoking venue or a non-smoking venue. Customer demand will then dictate if we need more smoking venues or less, if a pub or club wants to stay in business it will have to respond to its customers and not the views of government.

I find myself in agreement with your summation.
  • Options
    I have to say, if someone smokes anywhere in my house I can smell it, and it makes me feel sick. But other people in my room can't. I think it's cos I've psychologically attatched cancer and stuff to smoking, seeing it kill people dear to me. But you can still smell it.

Aladdin, what would you advocate would be the best way to proceed?
    Allow some pubs and restaurants to have a smoking section if the owner so desires, but the smoking section to be well ventilated and segregated from the bar and non-smoking area. Today that can be achieved easily and the non-smoking area would not get even the faintest trace of a whiff of smoke or its substances. If the premises owner wishes to do this and is prepared to undertake the renovations needed for that purpose I don't see the problem at all.

I would also give exception to certain private clubs (certainly smoking or cigar clubs) to allow smoking in their premises, if only the bar and any other area that has staff working there is segregated and protected from smoke.

And certainly smoking outdoors never to even being considered for a ban.
  • Options
    Hilarious. Nobody can dispute the actual content and is instead resorting to smearing the character of the author. An essasy doesn't cost tens of thousands of pounds to produce, Joe Jackson did not need money from the tobacco companies to write that essay.

*snigger*
  • Options
    He hasn't taken any money from tobacco companies. Forest have published his essay and Forest is funded by tobacco companies and the subscriptions of its members (who are ordinary people, smokers and non-smokers, who believe in freedom of choice).

Cancer Research UK persuades people to give up smoking. The biggest financial beneficiaries of more people giving up smoking are pharmaceutical companies selling nicotine patches/gum/etc. And Cancer Research UK gets its money from the pharmaceutical companies... If you think vested interests on the other side do not exist (to an even greater extent imo) you're somewhat naive.

You're right, there are interests there. However, are you seriously suggesting that the links between smoking and illness are a giant conspiracy? :eek:
  • Options
    I don't know when this was written (CBA reading it), but until quite recently, the studies into second hand smoke where: a) funded by people with an interest in people giving up b) contradictory (saying they'd found a link between second hand smoke and illness, when the results showed no such link), poorly executed (using experiments with no real relevance to the subject in order to produce the results they wanted) and with no definable outcome (the results would show an increase in the risk of illness from second hand smoke was so minimal, it more or less didn't exist, and could be down to other factors) c) dismissed as complete works of fiction by everyone who had to rely on them (scientists, courts, government bodies).

Because of this, people have been doing much better, independent studies in recent years that do show a clear link between second hand smoke and an increase in the risk of illness. Although, I still believe the risk is so small, it's not worth worrying about unless you're in a room visibly filled with smoke for a few hours a day, every day.

As for the smoking ban: I think it should be up to the buildings owner as to allow smoking or not within that building. Don't like it (either way), go somewhere else.
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote: »
    You're right, there are interests there. However, are you seriously suggesting that the links between smoking and illness are a giant conspiracy? :eek:

No. And Jackson does not suggest that, Forest do not suggest that - I don't think I've heard anybody suggest that links between smoking and illness are some kind of massive conspiracy...

But is the idea that the risks have been exaggerated a conspiracy? Is the view that smoking in itself doesn't guarantee an early death some massive conspiracy? Looking at the facts it doesn't seem to be so.
  • Options
    I found the essay to be quite an interesting read. I thought he raised some good points, but also totally skirted over questions his assertions made on occasion. He was guilty of hyperbole in a number of instances, but with the smoking ban being such an emotive topic, it’s something both camps are frequently guilty of.

My favourite line from the piece is below – I thought it rang true.
    In an earlier version of this essay, I suggested, facetiously, that perhaps smokers should be put in the stocks, to be pelted with rotten vegetables. On reflection, there’s a good analogy to be drawn there. In the days when people were put in the stocks, citizens were allowed, even encouraged, to kick and spit on them as they passed by. Now, it may be that there were some pretty bad guys in those stocks. But don’t you have to wonder, just a little bit, about those law-abiding folk who relished the opportunity to do a bit of kicking and spitting, all the while wearing a halo of selfrighteousness?
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote: »

This is becoming worse than Nazi Germany.

Doh!

Godwin's law = you're out of here.

and on the second page of a thread about smoking! Must be a record.........
  • Options
    This is becoming worse than Nazi Germany.

lol.

Disillusioned - if the anti-smokers are winning the 'arguement' now then fair enough, smokers have been winning it for the last god knows how long. It gets to the stage where people are blinded by their own addiction and they'll take any straw to clutch as credible. Yeah I know a lot of anti-smokers dont support the ban either, freedom of choice n all that, but i dont buy that at all in this situation; smokers can choose to have a cigarette outside and not effect anyone else, or not smoke.

If freedom of choice should be apparent in this particular situation where one persons 'gain' is hurting someone else, why shouldnt it be prevailant in the choice to steal and hurt people?
  • Options
    a person robbed or beaten up has no choice. second hand smoke on private property may hurt you but you have the choice to enter the pub or not. its like going to a go carting track and crying that the fumes make your asthma bad...
  • Options
    I must point out that is rather poor to criticise something purely because you perceive that it may have bias in it.

Unfortunately this guy does it well!

Page 9:(7)" Bias. Virtually all ETS studies are produced by groups with an avowed antismoking
    agenda, and are mostly financed by pharmaceutical companies, which have a vested interest in
    getting us all off fags and onto nicotine patches and antidepressants."

Which is rather ridiculous of him........
  • Options
    minimi38 wrote: »
    a person robbed or beaten up has no choice. second hand smoke on private property may hurt you but you have the choice to enter the pub or not. its like going to a go carting track and crying that the fumes make your asthma bad...

someone getting robbed (on private property) has the choice to run or fight back, or not leave their house in the first place. That doesn't make the person doing the damage to them in the right, does it?

people would go to a karting track to do karting, fumes are a side effect of this that they've chosen to put up with; people don't go to a pub or restaurant to inhale smoke when theyre not smokers - its not a direct effect of the intention of the 'establishment' (which might be eating, or drinking etc). Smoking is just something people happen to do.
  • Options
    No. And Jackson does not suggest that, Forest do not suggest that - I don't think I've heard anybody suggest that links between smoking and illness are some kind of massive conspiracy...

But is the idea that the risks have been exaggerated a conspiracy? Is the view that smoking in itself doesn't guarantee an early death some massive conspiracy? Looking at the facts it doesn't seem to be so.

You get madder by the day :D
  • Options
    muse- wrote: »
    people go to a pub to do drinking, fumes are a side effect of this that they've chosen to put up with; people don't go to go kar track to inhale fumes when theyre not carters - its not a direct effect of the intention of the 'establishment' (which might be go carting, watching friends etc). Exhaling fumes is just something combustion engines happen to do.

fixed
  • Options
    hehe thats pretty funny :thumb:

however smoking is NOT a prerequisite to going to a drinking establishment (a pub), fumes ARE a prerequisite to going to a karting track (sticking to your example).
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote: »
    You cannot breath somebody else's smoke outdoors unless you're rubbing shoulders with them.

Or stodd behind them (walking) when the wind's really strong.
  • Options
    Sofie wrote: »
    Or stodd behind them (walking) when the wind's really strong.
    You'd have to be walking pretty fucking close to them to be inhaling their smoke fumes, no matter how windy it was. In fact, I'd say that the more wind there was, the more likely the smoke fumes are to have disappeared by the time they got to you.
  • Options
    Bizarre as it sounds I'd highly recommend the episode of Penn and Teller's Bullshit for an extremely in depth analysis of the medical evidence being passive smoking and a detailed timeline of the different studies that have led to modern calcualtions of passive smoking related deaths. You might be very surprised by their findings.

(Admittedly the show dresses things up for humour - but they have a damn fine research team and a healthily skeptical viewpoint)
  • Options
    And as to my personal views on the issue - I'm a smoking so obviously it fucks me off deeply, but on a wider point (and one I can't entirely divorce from the first) I'm not convinced happily allowing the current government to restrict ANY rights further is a good idea.
  • Options
    I'm against the smoking ban because it seems to me that the "market" can accomodate both smoking and non-smoking pubs/cafes/etc. However, as someone who has recently given up smoking (well, apart from the odd one or two when pissed - not very often these days), I am now very aware of how much smokers stink. Really. Smokers smell like ashtrays. I wasn't aware of it when I smoked, but now if a smoker gets on the tube or bus, I can smell 'em a mile off. It's quite unpleasant.
  • Options
    I find the "private property" argument quite ridiculous. It isn't private property in the same way as a home. As soon as you open a business up to the public, it becomes a public space with a whole host of legal health and safety requirements. That's the reason that the local restaurant is legally required to have a health inspection, whereas your own kitchen doesn't, even if you're cooking for friends. So unless you're arguing for the abolition of every form of health and safety legislation, the "private property" and "freedom of choice" crap doesn't wash.

I don't agree with the smoking ban because I don't think the risk requires this level of legislation, though I would've been in favour of making it a legal requirement to hve a certain standard of ventilation in a building in order to smoke.

I thought it was pretty obvious that the risks were grossly exaggerated though? Same with the aids crisis in the 80's. Same with speeding on the roads. Same with illegal drugs compared to legal drugs. Same with pretty much anything the government forms a campagn around.

Oh and gotta say, I found that quote about tobacco being fine because it's natural to be quite funny too. Heroin all round then, eh?
  • Options
    Franki wrote: »
    You'd have to be walking pretty fucking close to them to be inhaling their smoke fumes, no matter how windy it was. In fact, I'd say that the more wind there was, the more likely the smoke fumes are to have disappeared by the time they got to you.

I would point out that I think non-smokers are much more sensitive to the smell than smokers. I'm not just saying that, I hold my breath walking past smokers cos it really is bad. Some cigarrettes actually I can't tell so much. But most of them smell really horrid. My mum smokes lites or something and they don't smell so much.
    Aladdin wrote:
    Allow some pubs and restaurants to have a smoking section if the owner so desires, but the smoking section to be well ventilated and segregated from the bar and non-smoking area. Today that can be achieved easily and the non-smoking area would not get even the faintest trace of a whiff of smoke or its substances. If the premises owner wishes to do this and is prepared to undertake the renovations needed for that purpose I don't see the problem at all.

I would also give exception to certain private clubs (certainly smoking or cigar clubs) to allow smoking in their premises, if only the bar and any other area that has staff working there is segregated and protected from smoke.

And certainly smoking outdoors never to even being considered for a ban.

That sounds about perfect.

Any non smoker (perhaps a smoker too) who goes to a busy pub knows when they get home their throat will be so sore, and the next morning they'll struggle talking because of all the smoke fumes. Maybe smokers are used to it, but it *does* affect non smokers and since they make up the majority of the population then it's a vote winning policy. If everyone smoked, sure, cut taxation on cigarrettes.

But they are bad for your health, and I can't be doing with those who say 'my grandma smoked til she was 107 and she was fine'. The health risks are undeniable. They may be exaggerated - I don't know personally - but smoking isn't going to make you healthy.
  • Options
    But they are bad for your health, and I can't be doing with those who say 'my grandma smoked til she was 107 and she was fine'. The health risks are undeniable. They may be exaggerated - I don't know personally - but smoking isn't going to make you healthy.

So is every case of a smoker living to an old age a lie? Of course smoking does pose significant health risks but it is evidently not the only factor when looking at life expectancy. France, Italy, Spain, Holland, Israel and Japan for example all have a higher proportion of smokers than Britain yet higher life expectancies. (Indeed, Japan has the highest life expectancy in the world yet the Japanese are amongst the heaviest smokers in the world).
  • Options
    So is every case of a smoker living to an old age a lie? Of course smoking does pose significant health risks but it is evidently not the only factor when looking at life expectancy. France, Italy, Spain, Holland, Israel and Japan for example all have a higher proportion of smokers than Britain yet higher life expectancies. (Indeed, Japan has the highest life expectancy in the world yet the Japanese are amongst the heaviest smokers in the world).

Yes but in each and every one of those countries, a smoker has a lower average life expectancy than a non-smoker. No it's not the only factor in looking at life expectancy, but it's a fact that smoking always reduces the average life expectancy. If these countries had a similar level of smoking to the UK, then they would be even further ahead.
  • Options
    The ban being made applicable to shisha cafes tells you everything you need to know about it. It's just another egregious restriction of citizens' freedoms, pushed through by the meddling influence of single-issue pressure groups. Frankly, it's laughable. Still, people should sit up and take notice of it; it proves that if you vilify a group of people enough you can get support for whatever draconian laws you care to implement.
  • Options
    I'm not even going t bother because it's from such a heavily biased source, but I found this interesting.

I haven't smoked for 2 months (go me! :D ) and went to the smoking cessation officer on Thursday. Anyway, I did the usual puff test (to find out how much carbon monoxide I think it was, is in my lungs) and it had gone up to that of a smoker, when previously I was at the level of a non smoker. The nurse said it must be from the smokey atmosphere and that it's happened before. She also recommended I ask my flatmates not to smoke in the kitchen.

However you stamp your feet and throw your toys out of the pram about wanting to smoke in publics (my heart bleeds for you, really... Only Tibetans have even been so oppressed by a government as those poor smokers in Britain :rolleyes: ), passive smoking does do damage. I never realised it before, but since I've quit, if I go out I to smokey places then the next day my chest is knackered.

I don't think the ban should be in shisha places, shisa knackers your lungs and airway too so you should all be able to smoke there, but myself and countless people I know prefer to knacker our livers instead. It isn't hard work to peel your arse off your seat and step outside for ten minutes to have a fag does it? Even if it didn't cause harm, it still makes you stink and most considerate people would take that in t account if their friends disliked it.
  • Options
    Oh, the pro-smoking lobby write some rubbish about how smoking's brilliant and hasn't killed anyone ever. I think I might take up smoking just because of it.

The ban's coming, like it or not, and I for one can't wait! Those poor smokers being forced into doing something they don't like- they might know how I fucking feel now, seeing as I can't go into pubs without having an asthma attack because of some dickhead with his Lucky Strike.