Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Art galleries and museums

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
Anyone go to galleries and museums much?

I went to one yesterday and there were paintings of a man having sex with a tree and women having sex with giraffes. :lol: And all these arty farty types nodding their heads seriously at it while I was cracking up.

People in London are lucky, there are so many museums there and they are all free. I love the science museum with all the buttons and things you can fiddle with like seeing how you would look as the opposite sex or a different skin colour.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    science museums are always fun :yes:

took my lil brother to one a while back, he loved it.

dont tend to go to art galleries much, unless I'm on holiday somewhere & they're cheap/free. the st. ives modern art gallery was good.
    I read somewhere that Londoners are least likely to visit museums and galleries and the like, which is bizarre. But there's masses of good stuff that's free and is out of London as well. Just in Newcastle and Gateshead there's the Laing Gallery, the Baltic, the Discovery Museum, Side Gallery... I'm in the Baltic practically every wek because I work just opposite it on Newcastle Quayside so it's nice to have a wander round of my lunch hour.

The best museum ever has to be the National Railway Museum in York. I don't even like trains and I love it.

One of my Mum's best friends was the head Archivist there - got to look at the original plans of the Rocket and a load of other trains - which was incredible.
    I used to visit museums all the time when i lived in London, and when i go back to stay with mum i'll often pop in to one.

I love the Natural History Museum. It's just my favourite, and i love the fact that you can hide yourself away in a little room and not be bothered by anyone the whole time you're in there :) I like the Darwin wing as well, that's really interesting and you get to tour the preserved animal collections.

I quite like the science museum, but i think i've been too many times! I think the exhibitions in the NHM are better - science museum ones are too child-oriented.

I quite like the Fan museum in Greenwich too :D
    i love going to galleries and museums!
    Art galleries are definitely not my thang, and the fact that i was forced to go to the Imperial War Museum at school has pretty much put me off for life. I did however go to the British Empire & Commonwealth Museum when they were doing an exhibition on the slave trade and that was pretty interesting. I also went to the Museum of Costume in Bath and that was cool :D
  • **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    I like going to places for specific exhbitions - The Tate Modern has some greats ones, as does the V&A and the National Portrait Gallery.

I also love the Science Museum but haven't been for yonks.
    I havent been to a museum for bloody years i use to find them quite interesting.
    Never been to an art gallery so id like to go to one just so i can say ive been not because im interested in art lol :)