Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Re-location?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Ive just landed myself another job interview, a job that i want SO much! Ive been trying to get it for 8 months. Obviously i may not even get it, but it has lead me to think about the implications if i was sucessful.

The thing is, its in a place thats completely new to me. Im originally from Norfolk, currently living in Lincoln (where i went to uni) and the job is in Buckinghamshire.

I have my own car, so im as free as a bird really. I'll have to find somewhere to live in buckinghamshire before starting the job, and then hope that the job is right for me because if not im stuck in a place i dont know, with nobody i know, in a job that has turned out to be bad.

Im really scared in case i do get it!

Has anyone else had do anything similar?

Comments

• Options
    I had a similar experience with moving to North London. I will probably being doing the same thing by moving to Herts. soon. It is scary but you have to remember you have to give it a try or you will be forever thinking 'what if'.

Think about the job and how much it means to you. If you don't have any ties in Lincs. then you don't have much to loose. It will be far easier to take a risk with moving now than in a few years when you may have more ties (partner, children, mortgage)

:thumb:
  • Options
    a bit different, but I moved to manchester (from the south) to do a postgrad course, having never seen the accommodation nor having visited the uni!

was a bit scary to be honest, but I'm getting used to it :)

I know nothing of buckinghamshire I'm though. not sure how far away it is from you, but you'd be best to go visit the area your job may be in, and have a look around.

I knew no one when I came here at the beginning of the (academic) year, and to be honest I still dont go out with anyone besides my flat mate. but I dont regret it, the course is worth it.

this being the case I go visit my freinds back down south whenever I get the time and money. (I dont have a car, no need for one here really, so I take the train).
  • Options
    Ive moved away from home before, for example when i first went to uni in lincoln i didnt know anyone, i was thrown in halls with a bunch of different people, and i coped. Then in my final year i decided to move in with 3 people i had never met before, and it went swimmingly.

I do consider myself as a very independant person, and i tend to push myself into situations like that in order to get more confident and have some life experience. So far its all gone fine, but for some reason i feel like its different with a job.

At uni, your much more looked after. The loan comes in regularly, people in the same situation are all around you, things are very much arranged and everything you need is in reach of the university.

If i get this job and move, i'll be in an entirely new situation to anything ive had before.

Ive had a full time job before but only for the duration of a summer between uni terms. Ive moved to a new place on my own before but thats when ive know there will be other students in the same situation.

Ive never had to have a full time job where everything relies on it. And im just finding it a little scary!

It'll be new job, new people, new place, new home.

Its all a bit overwhelming.
  • Options
    I know the feeling. I'm looking at moving to Oz by the end of the year, and while I know some people out there and the people where I will hopefully be working (I did an internship there too) its always a big step.

I just figure I'll alwys be wondering if I don't try it now. I'm young free and single (ish... well, not married anyway) and if it doesn't work out then I can try something else.
  • Options
    In case anyone is interested, i got the job, moved down to buckinghamshire this friday and i start my first day of work tomorrow!

The scary bit is over i think, i moved house entirely by myself, now im all settled in but just got to tackle the first few days of unfamiliar work in a new job
  • Options
    good luck! what's the job and what are your digs like?
  • Options
    **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    Congratulations - you should be well proud of yourself! Let us know how it goes.
  • Options
    Im working at hearing dogs for deaf people, which is wonderful.

And im living in a beatiful farm house for the next 8 weeks or so :thumb:

First day went well, its an amazing charity to be part of and it changes so many peoples lives.
  • Options
    Blah wrote: »

First day went well, its an amazing charity to be part of and it changes so many peoples lives.

Well done Blah, sounds a real feel good job. Im sure it will all go well for you, things might feel a little strange at first but it will begin to feel like home in no time.

:thumb:
  • Options
    Blah wrote: »

aww congratulations! good luck! :D:yes:
  • Options
    Congratulations :)

Where in Bucks is it out of interest?