Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

More time off for smokers?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/6589285.stm

What do you guys think of this?
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Hmm. I think it would be a good idea for big businesses who can afford to let workers off work (the advantages are obvious) However for small business it isn't possible.

Therefore i dont think it should be compulsory, and down to the individual company whether they give smokers time off to quit.
  • Options
    I'm going to start smoking :D
  • Options
    It might be useful if the correct incentives are implemented.

I would suggest a schemme like this would only work properly if retaining your wages for any time off were contingent on its success, so if you lapse and smoke again, you have to pay back the money for time off (or a part of it at least)

That would give a big incentive not only to attempt to stop smoking but to do so seriously and to succeed....
  • Options
    smokers work harder.
  • Options
    Why should smokers get paid time off...?

The only reason i'd ever agree to it is if non-smokers got paid time off as well.
  • Options
    More time off, is that on top off all the time they get to go to the smoking room/stand outside?

I deserve a pay rise as a non smoker!

Counselling for a habit done by choice should be done in a person's own time.
  • Options
    Its a bit of a joke really, if the person wants to work, then they will work. If they spend all their day smoking and dossing about, stopping them smoking isnt going to make them into a model employee.
  • Options
    Absurd. If an employee wishes to smoke in their private time it has absolutely nothing to do with the employer.

If someone is consistently taking breaks they are not entitled to, so they can smoke, that might need to be addressed. (Presumably by reminding them of whatever the policy on breaks is). If someone wants to give up smoking that's their own personal business and something they can do in their own time. (And whilst I don't have any stats, most of the people I know who have successfully quit smoking did so without going to a clinic).

I'm a little fed up of always hearing of people whining about smokers taking more breaks.. Where I work at least it's not true, smokers take the same breaks as everybody else. And in offices are we to believe that non-smokers never waste time on the internet? Waste company time making personal phone calls? Make a cup of tea and gossip with colleagues?
  • Options

I'm a little fed up of always hearing of people whining about smokers taking more breaks.. Where I work at least it's not true, smokers take the same breaks as everybody else. And in offices are we to believe that non-smokers never waste time on the internet? Waste company time making personal phone calls? Make a cup of tea and gossip with colleagues?

Are we to believe that smokers never waste time on the internet, make personal phone calls, make tea? As where I work they do all of the above, PLUS take regular 5 - 10 minute breaks to have a fag.
  • Options
    kangoo wrote: »
    I'm going to start smoking :D

:yes: Or at least have one then have a day off saying I'm trying to quit.

At the co op smokers got extra 'fag breaks' anyway. But the managers were smokers too, so they had a smokers clique thing. Think of that episode of friends where Rachael tries to take up smoking lol.
  • Options
    katchika wrote: »
    Are we to believe that smokers never waste time on the internet, make personal phone calls, make tea? As where I work they do all of the above, PLUS take regular 5 - 10 minute breaks to have a fag.

You can't really generalise though. I did an internship a few months ago, someone there took regular cigarette breaks but he was the first person in the office and the last to leave every day. But anyway, see the second part of my previous post.

In some places smoking in offices is still common, not that many years ago it was in the UK too. Smokers were simply allowed to smoke at their desks so this problem didn't exist, I wonder if non-smokers would be happy about people lighting up at their desk? I didn't think so...
  • Options
    What a load of crap. Why should a business have to pay for a smoker to have time off? If so, then as a non-smoker I should be able to have paid time off.
  • Options
    Sofie wrote: »
    Why should a business have to pay for a smoker to have time off? If so, then as a non-smoker I should be able to have paid time off.

Because the anti-smoking lobby believe that people who choose to smoke should be treated as having a medical condition. Exercising the choice to smoke is in their view a medical problem - as such people should receive medical 'treatment' in company time if necessary as they might do for an actual medical condition.
  • Options
    JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    Ridiculous. Non smokers are already penalised in terms of breaks etc while they are in the office without giving them more time without!
  • Options
    Fucking absurd idea.

It further promotes the retarded idea that all smokers want to quit and that somehow, because non-smokers are obviously much more intelligent and generally superior life forms, that they are somehow doing us a favour and that in the long run we'll thank them for their kind bigotry and 'we know what's best for you more than you do' attitude.

What a load of old arse. This country's going to the fucking dogs make no mistake.
  • Options
    This is a bit ridiculous. And how come the rest of the UK smokers didn't need time off before the ban came in? I've never heard someone complain that they needed time off before the ban was in place in Scotland. Pfft.

And its not like they have to quit. Just because smoking is banned inside doesn't mean they cant smoke at all. Pfft.
  • Options
    talia wrote: »
    And its not like they have to quit. Just because smoking is banned inside doesn't mean they cant smoke at all. Pfft.

:yes:
    Because the anti-smoking lobby believe that people who choose to smoke should be treated as having a medical condition.

:eek2:

Surely giving up smoking should be used as part of their holiday?
  • Options
    Utter bollocks.

I remember when I was working in a call centre, and the manager wouldn't let me run down and grab a banana for a snack (I was on the early shift) without taking 10 minutes from my lunchtime. Fair enough, I said, but smokers (including her) were taking 4 or 5 breaks a day and not having to reduce their lunch time. Did she accept my argument? Did she hell. I quit soon after as it was possibly the worst job on the planet.
  • Options
    g_angel007 wrote: »
    Utter bollocks.

I remember when I was working in a call centre, and the manager wouldn't let me run down and grab a banana for a snack (I was on the early shift) without taking 10 minutes from my lunchtime. Fair enough, I said, but smokers (including her) were taking 4 or 5 breaks a day and not having to reduce their lunch time. Did she accept my argument? Did she hell. I quit soon after as it was possibly the worst job on the planet.

Nice to see that she though smoking was more important than eating...:rolleyes:
  • Options
    JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    g_angel007 wrote: »
    Utter bollocks.

You'd think it was unbelivable - but the same damn thing happens at our place.
  • Options
    Yeah but not every boss is like that. One bad experience doesn't speak for everyone's experience.

Most of the places I've worked at have been fairly flexible regarding people going off to take/make phone calls, have a quick tab, get a drink, go to the loo etc. Generally I've just held on and smoked in my breaks/lunchbreak as I couldn't be arsed going outside for a literal minute to grab a puff and I didn't want to deal with all the "that's not fair" pouting of non-smokers, tain't worth it.

Just because some smokers take the piss doesn't mean they all do. Some do, of course, but then some non-smokers take the piss talking about Woman's Own around the waterfountain or grabbing bananas ;) (maybe your boss had had the piss taken with "banana-runs" before :razz:) Productivity is probably a lot lower when you can't have a smoking break, rather than when people are indeed taking short breaks to grab a smoke.

Anyway, off the point, this is a daft idea. Most smokers probably wouldn't want their employer breathing over their shoulder monitoring their smoking habits - anyway. I'd rather be in work than have a day off and end up being accountable TO MY BOSS (?) for a sneaky cigarette I had when I was on a work-sponsored quit-a-thon :thumb:
  • Options
    In an ideal world it would be a nice thing for employers to do .. but in the real world might not be workable for a lot of employers.

But for instance when the price of Oil went through the roof recently and was over £1 a litre all of a sudden you didn't see the government but all caring and sharing and offer to reduce the 80+% or so tax that is on every drop of petrol.