Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Leicester

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Right - after a couple of months in Bristol, it seems my job could be taking me to Leicester for the forseeable future... I've only driven through the place to some halls call Scraptofts twice and know nothing of the city.

Any opinions?

Comments

• Options
    *System Error* Does. not. register!

You're talking about Leicester Square, right? :D

:(
  • Options
    my friend is planning on going leicester med school in september-apparently its really nice and bout an hour from birmingham
  • Options
    go_away wrote: »
    *System Error* Does. not. register!

You're talking about Leicester Square, right? :D

:(

Heh heh - don't you worry, I'll still be living in London on the weekends and a couple of days a week, it's just they're offering a long term contract (sick of shifting around so much!) with exceptional London matching/beating rates :D It's only 1:15 from St. Pancras, which is a winner as I can be in London before 7pm for dinner dates/drinks :thumb:

I would have to be going somewhere special (namely NYC or Sydney et al) for me to leave London, permanently!
  • Options
    Seems like a very good deal :yes: and being in on time for clubbing too!
  • Options
    go_away wrote: »
    Seems like a very good deal :yes: and being in on time for clubbing too!

:D :thumb:
  • Options
    I live there. Well not in the city but in the county, it depends what you want to know!
  • Options
    ruby_soho wrote: »
    I live there. Well not in the city but in the county, it depends what you want to know!

Well, I'm not too fussed about the clubbing as I will be in London for the most part on weekends, but what is the centre like, clean, pretty, concrete, rough, scary etc etc.

Just trying to get a feel for the place.

Also any gym recommendations etc? Restaurants, decent bars (with decent wines).
  • Options
    g_angel007 wrote: »
    Well, I'm not too fussed about the clubbing as I will be in London for the most part on weekends, but what is the centre like, clean, pretty, concrete, rough, scary etc etc.

That last two adjectives describe my opinion of Leicester. :thumb:
  • Options
    Calvin wrote: »
    g_angel007 wrote: »

That last two adjectives describe my opinion of Leicester. :thumb:

:lol:
  • Options
    Well i wouldn't say it was rough or scary, i've been to much worse but it depends on where your living like, everywhere there are bad bits that i wouldn't go near.
    Would you be living in the town center?
    It's not what i would call dirty but xome of the old concrete buildings like flats and the haymarket shopping center and stuff are not what i would call attractive looking, and at the minute there is massive building works going on extending the shires shopping center. Resturants and gyms really does depend on where your going to be living ie city center/county towns/subarbs etc.
  • Options
    leicester-city-01.jpg

tada :lol:
  • Options
    I love Leicetes, my sisters t uni there... great shopping. BLunts shoes is worjtu ceckinging out... some trnny stuff, but some real bargins too.
  • Options
    apparently its really nice and bout an hour from birmingham

:yes: And very easy to get lost in...:blush:
  • Options
    Leicester's alright. I live in Groby, a village about 4 miles from the centre.

I don't like Leicester much. Crime isn't too bad - of course you get kids but tell them to get lost and they normally will. We have gyms, swimming pools, shops, cienmas, if you think of it like that we're quite well featured. One big plus is that there a lot of good indian takeaways, if that's your kind of thing.

It's not massive, I mean it's hard to describe. There's a ring road aroudn the central bit of town, and you don't tend to wander outside of that. Near the north side is the clock tower and the two main shopping centres, The Shires (think new look, designer places, but clean) and the haymarket (think a bit more run down). There's plenty of arcades with other shops, but I think they're all rubbish.

In fact, there is wholly too much rubbish everywhere. It smells a bit like sewage (although if you come from London, you might not notice...). Although they have resurfaced parts of something (can't remember what it's called) near the shops to try to combat the smell.

South side ish is the University(ies), a cinema, a prison, where I used to live, a few museums, a hospital and err kind of cheap fish and chip shos etc. I've never ventured there though.

As for nightlife, it's not fantastic, but some people like it. A lot of people who come to Leicester university really like it, but I'm not sure why.

If you're into motorbikes there is a lot of motorbike stuff around. In Coalville, a few miles away, there's the victoria pub which is where they all hang out (sorry, trying to think of pluses). By car it's about an hour from Birmingham, Nottingham, Coventry and Peterborough. By train it's an hour to London.

You'll find plenty of gyms though, don't worry. Just trying to think of the best one. I'll ask my brother later, he goes a few times a week and loves it.

But yea, from the center of town, you can reach a bus, train, bank, shops, all kinds of restaurants, taxis, pubs, trendy bars, etc. etc. in the countryside we've got part of ourselves in the new forest (or possibly national forest, one of the two, can't remember which) which feature lots of nature countryside bits. Bradgate Park, Beacon Hill, Groby Pool, Switherland Woods...

I really would like to leave though, I've spent 19 years here and just want to get out. I :heart: Cheltenham though, not sure why.
  • Options
    Sofie wrote: »
    :yes: And very easy to get lost in...:blush:

How!

And lol shyboy it's the national forest, the new forest is one with all the ponies that roam around :p But i wouldn't ever recomend that anybody takes a trip to coalville!
  • Options
    And to make it slightly worse, I had a map with me. :blush: I have 2 excuses though - I was on my own and I've never been there before.
  • Options
    Any place can be confusing, and Leicester isn't exactly well signposted. Or even well laid out for that matter. It seems they just plonked buildings down.

Try driving through it, the one way system is a nightmare. You can see a road but have no f*cking clue how to get to it because it's one way only!
  • Options
    Well, I went to Leicester today.

First impressions are of a bit of a shit-hole... Reminds me of my home town of Bradford, funnily enough!

Got offered the job and will be taking it - £XXXk too good to turn down :) Only an hour and 15 from London so easy to get back when I want to. :)
  • Options
    First impressions are of a bit of a shit-hole... Reminds me of my home town of Bradford, funnily enough!

:yes:
    Only an hour and 15 from London so easy to get back when I want to. :)

Every cloud...
  • Options
    it will be like any area - have good and bad areas. my sister lives in a place called hinckley, i've been and it seems really nice. she used to live more central to the city centre and the shops were good. :D

where abouts are you moving to?
  • Options
    it will be like any area - have good and bad areas. my sister lives in a place called hinckley, i've been and it seems really nice. she used to live more central to the city centre and the shops were good. :D

why don't you go there for a few days to check it out?

I'm going there anyway as they need me to start last week - one of those situations...

It's very central, and I'd be looking to stay very central as well so I have but a couple of minutes walk to work etc... Also close to the station so it's easier to get back to the bright lights of London :)
  • Options

where abouts are you moving to?

Hinckley's very nice, a bit of a way away though, it's a town in it's own right. Bout 30 mins from Leicester I'd say.

G - whereabouts you staying then? There are some new inner city developments around that look a bit posh.

As I said, not my favourite place, and does smell like sewage. It's more of a go-to place that's ok to get something (plenty of bike shops) but not the kind of place you'd enjoy living in :p.
  • Options
    The only good thing about Leicester is the A46 signposted Nottingham :p
  • Options
    ShyBoy wrote: »
    Hinckley's very nice, a bit of a way away though, it's a town in it's own right. Bout 30 mins from Leicester I'd say.

G - whereabouts you staying then? There are some new inner city developments around that look a bit posh.

As I said, not my favourite place, and does smell like sewage. It's more of a go-to place that's ok to get something (plenty of bike shops) but not the kind of place you'd enjoy living in :p.

Not sure yet - just looking into it, but it will be a nice apartment, on my own, that's for sure!
  • Options
    Whowhere wrote: »
    The only good thing about Leicester is the A46 signposted Nottingham :p

Nottingham is a shitehole too tbh. And don't even get me started on Birmingham!

I don't know why, but the midlands in general is just rubbish.
  • Options
    True, but it could be worse, could be London.
  • Options
    Nottingham is a shitehole too tbh. And don't even get me started on Birmingham!

I don't know why, but the midlands in general is just rubbish.

That's bollocks, to be honest. Birmingham is great, and Nottingham is also really nice from what I've seen of it (stayed there for a weekend). Never been to Leicester so couldn't say.

However, Cannock, where I'm working at the moment... :ick
  • Options
    Whowhere wrote: »
    True, but it could be worse, could be London.

No chance - I love London!

Just a shame getting work in what I do is difficult. Still, working away means I can claim piles of expenses and so my tax bill goes down :)
  • Options
    katchika wrote: »
    That's bollocks, to be honest. Birmingham is great, and Nottingham is also really nice from what I've seen of it (stayed there for a weekend). Never been to Leicester so couldn't say.

However, Cannock, where I'm working at the moment... :ick

You are kidding aren't you??

I suppose it's different strokes for different folks, but I've been to both a fair few times and disliked both intensely. Nottingham is good for the ice skating arena, Birmingham has shopping but neither are particularly glamourous or nice places to be in.
  • Options
    You are kidding aren't you??

I suppose it's different strokes for different folks, but I've been to both a fair few times and disliked both intensely. Nottingham is good for the ice skating arena, Birmingham has shopping but neither are particularly glamourous or nice places to be in.

No, I'm not kidding. I thought Nottingham had a nice city centre to walk around, some good pubs and shops. Birmingham has loads to do in terms of the arts and going out. Who wants to be somewhere 'glamourous?' Blimey, where do you live, Monte Carlo?

:razz: