Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Use by dates

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I just found a couple of tubs of stuff at the back of my food cupboard.

1 tub of bisto white sauce granules,1 tup of cheese ones. They went past their use by date a year ago though

Should i still use them?

Comments

• Options
    Well 'i think' something like bisto will have a best before, rather than use by date. I'd bin 'em, as they both contain flour they're probably full of flour mites by now :yuck:

ETA Why are you buying white sauce and cheese sauce granuals ? Making sauces is easy and quite quick :)
  • Options
    if it says best before then it doesnt technically expire but is recommended to be consumed by the date shown, if its a use by date then it has to be eaten before the use by/expiry date.

But if its been expired a year then id say bin them like rubberskin said
  • Options
    RubberSkin wrote: »
    Well 'i think' something like bisto will have a best before, rather than use by date. I'd bin 'em, as they both contain flour they're probably full of flour mites by now :yuck:

ETA Why are you buying white sauce and cheese sauce granuals ? Making sauces is easy and quite quick :)

i bought them years ago hence their dates :p

I try to make all my own stuff nowdays
  • Options
    If they're unopened I'd use them, but if they've been opened then no
  • Options
    Just chuck them and buy some more lol save any hassle
  • Options
    they can be cheaply replaced, so it is not worth risking
  • Options
    I would totally use them still. But i don't really think about use by dates ever.
  • Options
    I would totally use them still. But i don't really think about use by dates ever.

same i tend to smell things and if they smell fusty i wont eat em. if not theyre grand
  • Options
    Exactly :) But my mum's the sort of person who just checks whether it's moving or not and if it's not then she'd feed it to us :D
  • Options
    I wouldn't risk it .. I've had some bad eperiences with gone off food .. especially milk

Bleurgh ! Once poured milk on my cereal to discover it had formed large white lumps *shudders* absolutely mingin so now I check each time
  • Options
    normally i'd say use by dates are a rough guide rather than an exact science.
    a year later tho' i'd bin them. :yes:
  • Options
    I wouldn't risk it .. I've had some bad eperiences with gone off food .. especially milk

Bleurgh ! Once poured milk on my cereal to discover it had formed large white lumps *shudders* absolutely mingin so now I check each time

Well, obviously with stuff like that i wouldn't use it! But i keep open stuff in the cupboard for ages, they're fine as long as they don't get mites or damp.
  • Options
    Use by dates with fresh food, dairy and so on, I stick quite rigidly to (especially milk, I'm terrible with throwing that away - if I can get to it before my housemate drinks it anyway :( ) but dried stuff in the cupboard which has best before dates I'm less stressed about. However, over a couple of months and I would be chucking it out...
  • Options
    Last year some time we were having dinner over at the in-laws... When given a choice of icecream, cream or custard with dessert I chose custard (I lurrrve me custard)...

My M-I-L was making said custard from the Birdseye powder... she couldn't work out why although tasting fine, it was white custard rather than yellow...

We soon found out - 'Best Before February 1993' - AAARRRGHHHHH :eek:

I have also been lucky enough to be given 'fish ball soup' at a friends when I was younger... definately the most disgusting thing I have ever tasted, compounded by the fact the fishballs were well out of date... :yuck: