Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Greyhound Racing.

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
My mum just sent me a link to this video (warning: don't watch if you're easily upset by seeing dead animals, or are not feeling too well atm). From what she's told me (she's very into greyhounds, so she knows about these things), those dogs were abandoned after races - a bit like Santa's Little Helper in The Simpsons, but obviously a bit more extreme. That video is from Spain, and I've no idea what the regulations for these things are over here, but having seen that, I've come over all anti-racing. Not because of the sport in itself, but because of how some of the dogs end up, as well as the conditions some of them live in while they race. As well as this, ex-racers are a lot harder to rehome because the vast majority of them aren't really cat friendly (when we got ours, we had to keep her muzzled til she was used to them, because she would go after them if they ran past her), because of the way they are trained to chase the small, fast moving, furry thing.

Not sure why I'm writing this, really. Just wanted to know what your opinions on it were? And kinda to highlight how severe the problem can get.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Dog racing rocks. Had a few quality nights at Walthamstow with mates. Over here, I'd guess that the regulations have been tightened somewhat over the years and the dog racing industry is no doubt eager to avoid any scandals - animal rights extremists wouldn't think twice about threatening an owner, attacking a trainer or perhaps even digging up someone's mother's grave. Tbh things will not be always perfect for the dogs but at the end of the day I don't think it's worth loosing sleep over a couple of greyhounds, there's a lot more important stuff going on in the world.
    I would not go to greyhound racing. There is a track near where I live and when one of my friends said she might go there for her birthday, I said I wouldn't come if she did.

I know someone who helps rehome ex-racing greyhounds, the way they are treated can be terrible. Just seen as a form of income and then dumped or destroyed when they are no longer any good.
    Most animals are dumped or destroyed when they are no longer a source of income. Yes, that includes the chickens who make your free range organic eggs.
    It happens in horse racing as well. There are bad owners and there are good owners. In most countries there are governing bodies that try to crack down on these practices in their sport but there are always people finding new ways to go behind the rules and regulations when there is money at stake.

What I think is worse is when a sport subtly advocates cruel practices. Messed up shoeing and alcohol injections into horse tails are two examples I KNOW happen and despite it these practices help the horse win! That's disgusting. A flogged dog or a starved horse normally does not help the animals win. Usually the top level animals you see in racing are stable or animals not in pain. It's a gruesome career they have but it takes a truly special animal to be at the top of their game if abused badly.

It is still sad that racing has grown into a sport where it's all about drawing a lucky number in the sense that an insane mass of animals are bred in the hope of getting a single champion. That means a large part of the other foals/puppies are discarded. IF that is done in a humane way I can live with it but that's still a lot of lifes gone for nothing. Some of them end up in good homes and the good thing is that they're normally cheap but there's no way there are homes for all of the animals. Sadly it's harder to regulate that aspect of the industries than what goes on inside the show ring.
    minimi38 wrote: »
    Most animals are dumped or destroyed when they are no longer a source of income. Yes, that includes the chickens who make your free range organic eggs.

Just because something happens, doesn't mean it is acceptable and we should all just put up with it. No-one needs to participate in greyhound racing.

Ok, it could be argued that no-one NEEDS to eat eggs, but it's not possible to cut every single thing out of your life that may have unethical practices involved. Ideally I would like to have my own chickens so I knew where my food came from but that's not possible at the moment and is a different topic.
    wgat else do you expect from the spanish/
    Aaaaah, racism, nice.
    Territt wrote: »
    what else do you expect from the spanish/

Foxhunting ? Oh no thats the British :D
    Blagsta wrote: »
    Aaaaah, racism, nice.

how in hell is that racism?
    wgat else do you expect from the spanish/
    It's not just the Spanish, though. The video was an example, but it doesn't just happen in Spain - far from it.
    how in hell is that racism?

It's certainly very close. Let's say xenophobia and bigotry instead.
    Pretty much any type of animal can get dumped or left to die when its no longer of any use to its negligent owner.

This doesnt mean it makes greyhound racing any less bad, but its pretty much the norm, especially in the animal sport and entertainment industry.

I personally would not go to watch greyhound racing, and if i could stop it i would. I would stop any kind of cruelty if it was possible.

Luckily, theres a large amount of people dedicating their lives to pick up the pieces when these animals are left to their own devices or beaten. Ive just become a volunteer rspca home inspector so i can attempt to prevent animals getting into the wrong hands.
    Blagsta wrote: »
    It's certainly very close. Let's say xenophobia and bigotry instead.

More like it and no surprise really, given the users comments in other threads.
    As for the OP, sadly I am not surprised - not because of the spanish links, but because I am aware of similar things happening in the UK.

It's a business to breeder etc.