Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Been really stupid

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Ive just rang the doctors, and a gp is going to ring me back.

I'll take it from there now. I am feeling ok though now
    Just because you're feeling ok now doesn't mean you are ok.
    Spoke to the doc about an hour ago, and he told me some symptoms to watch out for.

Im also to bring it up when i go for my assessment.

Should be alright now.
    jelly tots wrote: »
    Spoke to the doc about an hour ago, and he told me some symptoms to watch out for.

Im also to bring it up when i go for my assessment.

Should be alright now.

you told your gp you o/d'ed on paracetamol and he didn't tell you to get to the surgery/hospital? :eek2:

is that for real?
    otter wrote: »
    you told your gp you o/d'ed on paracetamol and he didn't tell you to get to the surgery/hospital? :eek2:

is that for real?

I was thinking this as well. Surely that would be one of the first things (if not, the first thing) your GP would tell you to do?
    50/60?! Surely thats enough to KO someone straight away?!
    Sofie wrote: »
    I was thinking this as well. Surely that would be one of the first things (if not, the first thing) your GP would tell you to do?

:yes: he would esp.so as the o/d was with paracetamol. tho' some other over the counter drugs he may not.

and 50/60 tablets of paracetamol would cause liver failure in almost anyone. paracetamol is a f**ker. an overdose of only a few paracetamol tablets can kill someone. its perhaps the most dangerous over the counter drug avaliable on the market.
    otter wrote: »
    :yes: he would esp.so as the o/d was with paracetamol. tho' some other over the counter drugs he may not.

and 50/60 tablets of paracetamol would cause liver failure in almost anyone. paracetamol is a f**ker. an overdose of only a few paracetamol tablets can kill someone. its perhaps the most dangerous over the counter drug avaliable on the market.

Oh great i'm worried now. I've got a bad cold and i've been hitting the paracetamol hard :(

Oh well means i don't have to go to work tomorrow.
    Lacy wrote: »
    Oh great i'm worried now. I've got a bad cold and i've been hitting the paracetamol hard :(

Oh well means i don't have to go to work tomorrow.

But how many have you taken? I think the recommended does is 8 in 24 hours and you're not to take them over a long period of time or something.
    Sofie wrote: »
    But how many have you taken? I think the recommended does is 8 in 24 hours and you're not to take them over a long period of time or something.

Ok maybe i'll be ok then. I think i've had about 6 or 8.
    Ok maybe i'll be ok then. I think i've had about 6 or 8.

switch to ibroprofen instead
    I've just shown this thread to my mate who's a G.P. and he, as would any of his profession (his quote), would of called an ambulance immdeately you told him.

Either your G.P. is an imcompetant moron or else.................
    Well i was asked how i was feeling now, and i told him that im feeling fine now. Bit sickly in the morning but by the time id spoken to him i was feeling a lot better.

I told him that id rang nhs direct and let him know of my reluctance to go when they advised it, so i think he thought that telling me to go would be a waste of time. Thats why i think he's told me what to watch out for.
    AS IF any normal doctor would say that.
    Did you tell your doctor how many you had taken?

Far be it for me to rubbish a doctor's advice, but maybe it would be best getting checked out at the local a&e, just for curiosities sake. If you're fine, then there's no need to worry :) and if they're a bit worried about you they can give you the antidote etc. (just reading RubberSkin's posts).

You're obviously anxious about it, and that anxiety isn't going to go away until you get checked over. The thing that scares us really is leaving it until wednesday might be too long. My uncle took an OD at 18 and survived. Now he's 60 something and enjoying life with his kids but he's had heart attacks and is constantly on drugs now because of the organ damage he did when was younger.

If you get yourself checked over the hospital will be much more able to treat you than any of us :) and if you don't want to get the crisis team involved just tell them - it's not like being arrested - you have the right to walk out anytime. Say you're just there to receive treatment and get looked over and don't want any fuss.

I know it's difficult but when you've got the green light from the hospital you can just kick back and feel relief how things didn't go terribly wrong this time :).

Take care, and keep us informed
  • smitherzsmitherz Posts: 968 Part of The Mix Family
    50/60?! Surely thats enough to KO someone straight away?!

It really is dependent on the person, some people can die off 20 paracetamol, others can take four times the amount.

You should of gone A+E, you say your feeling better now but i would advise having your liver checked out as it could be in a bad situation. Your doctors reaction is not the best and i am very suprised by what he told you.
    Thanks people.

I think i'm going to leave it now though. I know i keep going back to the first time i took parecetamol in excess, but in comparison to that I'm fine. I remember being doubled over and unable to walk for about four days, and my lower back was crippling me. This time however, i feel ok. Like i say, i was sick a few hours later and since then i've returned to normal.

I think i just need to forget about it and move on. Hopefully, never to return to this situation again

x x x
    you should head to the hopital....
    seriously....
    if you are alive after 5 days you probably wont die
  • JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    Very helpful....
    By the way, out of interest, is there going to be any testing to see if you've done any damage to your liver?

I once knew a girl who overdosed on a similar amount, slightly less actually. She had to have her stomach pumped then have various tests to see if any damage was done. Seems strange your doctor hasn't mentioned any at all to see if you've done any damage? Just because you feel fine, it doesn't mean you haven't done any damage and ANY qualified doctor would realise that.
    although 60 pills...
    recommended max dosage is 4g (think ive read that your body can handle more sometimes.. 8ish?) over a 24 hour period .. the average paracetamol tablet is around 500mg..

if you're being serious and took 60, you're being extremely stupid by not going to the hospital!
    If you start turning yellow you know your in trouble.....just get to A&E and get it sorted.
    z- wrote: »
    recommended max dosage is 4g (think ive read that your body can handle more sometimes.. 8ish?) over a 24 hour period .. the average paracetamol tablet is around 500mg..

Yes it is something like that. (well it is 8 tablets in 24 hours)
    Everyone has told you why you should seek medical attention even if you do feel 'fine' now. You may not feel fine later. ODing on paracetomol is extremely bad because it slowly fucks your body up which you probably won't even notice. Why are you making so many excuses? Maybe ask a friend to go with you to A&E if you find the experience scary. I'm guessing it's enfuriating for people here because they are concerned about your wellbeing and giving you very good advice yet you just ignore it putting yourself at greater risk.
    This is ridiculous. You've ingested approximately 250mg per tablet x 60= 15g of paracetamol. That's 5g above one of the higher limits of parcetamol toxicity to come into play.

From wiki:
    Individuals who have overdosed on paracetamol generally have no specific symptoms for the first 24 hours. Although nausea, vomiting, and diaphoresis may occur initially, these symptoms generally resolve after several hours. After resolution of these symptoms, individuals tend to feel better, and may believe that the worst is over. If a toxic dose was absorbed, this brief feeling of relative wellness, the individual develops overt hepatic failure. In massive overdoses, coma and metabolic acidosis may occur prior to hepatic failure.
    Damage generally occurs in hepatocytes as they metabolize the paracetamol. Rarely, acute renal failure also may occur. This is usually caused by either hepatorenal syndrome or Multiple organ dysfunction syndrome. Acute renal failure may also be the primary clinical manifestation of toxicity. In these cases, it has been suggested that the toxic metabolite is produced more in the kidneys than in the liver.[15]
    The prognosis of paracetamol toxicity varies depending on the dose and the appropriate treatment. In some cases, massive hepatic necrosis leads to fulminant hepatic failure with complications of bleeding, hypoglycemia, renal failure, hepatic encephalopathy, cerebral edema, sepsis, multiple organ failure, and death within days. In many cases, the hepatic necrosis may run its course, hepatic function may return, and the patient may survive with liver function returning to normal in a few weeks.

I truely hope against hope you actually stop being a fucking idiot and get your arse to the hospital. Even after everyone here has told you exactly the same, I doubt you'll read this post, but I can but hope. My flatmate is a doctor, and the number of people he's seen fuck their livers up totally from paracetamol od is crazy. It's definitely the way to go if you fancy a slow death....
    How are you not dead?

Im not being funny but if you're going to pissball around taking OD's when you dont mean in then DO NOT do it with paracetamol.

20 would usually cause liver damage. 30 can usually kill.

Oh, and the pain in your lower back last time? that was probably your kidneys.

Even if u dont die-u SERIOUSLY need bloods taken for a liver and renal function.
    My doc did those on me, and that was about 3 days after 30+ of ibuprofen and some co-codamol. If yours doesnt-somethings very wrong!
    I posted in the drugs section with this about a woman that died last week. Alcohol abuse had damaged her liver. She self discharged from the hospital i work at, and was told another drink will kill you. I bet she thought "yeah ,yeah. they always say that".
    Well 1 litre of vodka a day for the next 10 days and her liver packed in.

Her mate found her collapsed in a pool of blood. Theatre couldnt find where she was bleeding from and therefore couldnt stop it.
    And as one of the post above says about what paracetamol does to the liver-she had hepatic encephalopathy(where the liver releases a toxin that makes the brain swell), her kidneys packed in(renal failure).
    They dosed her up on diamorphine and withdrew her oxygen. She died aged 29.
    Its not bullshit. you will do serious damage.
    Has anyone heard anything from her.........ive just read through the thread and she seems quite stubborn and a little selfish if you ask me but doesnt stop me worrying :no: