Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Why vegetarians shouldn't buy a PS3.

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
http://www.bit-tech.net/news/2007/04/30/Sony_decapitate_goats_to_promote_God_Of_War_II/

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/news/news.html?in_article_id=451414&in_page_id=1770&ct=5

Topless girls... slaughtered animals...
At the event, guests competed to see who could eat the most offal ? procured elsewhere and intended to resemble the goat?s intestines ? from its stomach.

What the f*ck is wrong with the marketing people at Sony?

eta: sony's erspective

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Daily Mail shows outrage without knowing all (any of) the facts, shocker.
    Still, using a slaughtered goat at a press event is terribly bad taste.

Yes, in hollywood - gore scenes whatever. But they're not use to sell a product or make something look cool or sexy are they?

I think we should steer clear of the dead animal = cool side of things. At the end of the day it's about respect for life isn't it? (even if it's dead, it was once a living thing)
    Well as a veggie I'm deffo never gonna buy anything sony again anymore. There's no need for it! I agree to people eating meat in third world countries in order to survive (although I will never eat meat again by choice) but rich corporations using it as a publicity stunt is notyhing but pathetic and wrong
    Daily Mail shows outrage without knowing all (any of) the facts, shocker.

I'm with you on this one.

although I do concede that the marketing department for sony mad a bad choice too, I dont know how they thought this campaign would work!
    bizarre. who the hell thought that would be a good idea?

still gonna get one when the price comes down.
  • Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    What the hell? This can't be serious, can it?
    Besides, as I live in Athens myself I'm pretty sure I'd have heard something about it before now.
    Sony have even issued a public apology... so it is real.

But daily mail are glamourising it. It happened 2 months ago, was a closed event to journalists, and one journalist wrote it up and the daily mail seized the story.

Still doesn't make it right to use a dead animal to advertise something though.
    ShyBoy wrote: »
    But daily mail are glamourising it. It happened 2 months ago, was a closed event to journalists, and one journalist wrote it up and the daily mail seized the story.

Who wasn't actually at the event.
    Big deal. If you have fun playing the console, buy one. Don't get all uptight because of irrelevant "morality" issues.
    Anything that pisses off the Daily Mail is usually a good thing. You can't actually post a story from the Daily Mail and expect to be taken seriously.

Still, it's only done for shock value and to get people like you worked up about it and posting about it, thereby giving the game much more coverage than their marketing department could ever give it.
    Addict wrote: »
    Still, it's only done for shock value and to get people like you worked up about it and posting about it, thereby giving the game much more coverage than their marketing department could ever give it.

I agree that it has given them a lot of free or cheap publicity. But Sony has buckets of cash, I expect better from Sony, like the Glasgow Tower Block commercial.

This PR stunt just makes me associate Sony with cheap and nasty.

:thumb:
    Shouldn't the title of the thread be "Why vegetarians shouldn'y buy God Of War II on the PS2" seeing as it had fuck all to do with the PS3?
    Shouldn't the title of the thread be "Why vegetarians shouldn'y buy God Of War II on the PS2" seeing as it had fuck all to do with the PS3?

Or "Why moral vegetarians (not the kind who don't eat meat because they don't like the taste) shouldn't buy God of War II on the PS2".

'People like you'?

Is it just me who thinks it's fucked up to use a dead animal as a prop in order to sell something?
    'People like you'?

Is it just me who thinks it's fucked up to use a dead animal as a prop in order to sell something?

Nope. I think also it's completely out of line mate
    'People like you'?

I dint think there is anything wrong with it, it was dead beforehand. But it just says cheap and nasty to me. Not something Sony or Playstation should want to be associated with.

It's not OK to kill an animal and use it to sell computer games, but it's OK to kill an animal and use it to sell its meat?
    Anything that pisses off the Daily Mail is usually a good thing. You can't actually post a story from the Daily Mail and expect to be taken seriously.

:yes:
    Kiezo wrote: »
    It's not OK to kill an animal and use it to sell computer games, but it's OK to kill an animal and use it to sell its meat?

Yes, because in the latter it's not paraded around as a prop. There were much more intelligent ways to sell the new game (which in reviews has done very well apparently) and some guy just thought of this and thought how cool it would be.

It's not abuse to the animal, it's not about animal rights per se, it's about respect.
    'People like you'?

no, by people like you i mean people who post about it on internet forums, or write letters to newspapers about it etc etc.

controversy brings publicity.

it's like the people who get all worked up about pete doherty and they hate how he's always in the media getting attention, yet they're the very same people that will post stories about him and talk about him, and the very people that the newspaper articles are written for in the first place.
    Shit, I'da loved to have been there. Slapping some offal on some hot birds tits and playing GOWII (which is fucking outstanding by ra way) sounds like a great night to me.
    Yes, because in the latter it's not paraded around as a prop. There were much more intelligent ways to sell the new game (which in reviews has done very well apparently) and some guy just thought of this and thought how cool it would be.

It's not abuse to the animal, it's not about animal rights per se, it's about respect.

Respect is something that needs to be earned. Stupid people don't deserve respect, nevermind animals.

EDIT: You probably won't like this then, either :E