Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

First date after break up

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Im going on a date tonight and its the first date i've been on since breaking up with my ex nearly two weeks ago (actually its the first date i've been on in about 18 months) Anyway im feeling really scared, the guy im going out with seems really nice but he's been really really flirty and although its nice it kinda scares me too. Has anybody felt like this before on a first date and if so any tips for me..

Comments

• Options
    cari wrote: »
    Im going on a date tonight and its the first date i've been on since breaking up with my ex nearly two weeks ago (actually its the first date i've been on in about 18 months) Anyway im feeling really scared, the guy im going out with seems really nice but he's been really really flirty and although its nice it kinda scares me too. Has anybody felt like this before on a first date and if so any tips for me..

First date nerves are normal. Just go with it, eyes open, and you'll be fine.
  • Options
    Didnt end up going on the date, i just didnt feel ready and now my ex thinks i didnt go because of him, and the fella i was supposed to go on date with keeps txting asking me to go out again, he told me he really likes me and even asked if he's done something to annoy me that makes me not wana go out with him - its a total nightmare
  • Options
    Tell the guy you had planned to go out with the truth, that you're not ready yet and that you need time - then if you feel like it in the future and he likes you as much as he says he'll wait - try again...

and let your ex think what he likes

but there's no point in rushing into anything if you're not ready - just be sure to let the guy know where he stands cos he sounds like a nice enough guy

• Options
    I know how you feel- getting back into the dating game is well well scary! It's one thing having random pulls and the sort in clubs, but when they want to take you out one on one... argh! Don't worry about what your ex thinks, it doesnt matter. If this guy is decent then he'll understand. Why don't you suggest he goes out with you and your friends? Or get him to meet you at your local pub so you're on familiar territory. It'll all happen when you're ready though, so don't rush it :)
  • Options
    cari wrote: »
    Didnt end up going on the date, i just didnt feel ready and now my ex thinks i didnt go because of him, and the fella i was supposed to go on date with keeps txting asking me to go out again, he told me he really likes me and even asked if he's done something to annoy me that makes me not wana go out with him - its a total nightmare

He sounds clingy.

Avoid.
  • Options
    or else he's just keen. and if he's that keen, and that nice, he'll wait until you're ready and can make a calm, confident decision.
  • Options
    You know what, i totally understand how you feel. I split up with my ex in January after a 5 year relationship and had a date about a month ago..........i was crapping myself but i had known him for a few years before anyway which kind of helped a little.

We just went for a couple of drinks and had a chat and stuff..........i think this is the best way to get to know someone when there isnt too much pressure to talk about the deep things too soon....just let things flow and have a laugh :thumb: