Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Buying a Sofa

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
So my lovely mother has decided to buy me a sofa for my new flat :D I've been looking at DFS and have decided the sofa I want but I have a couple of questions if anyone can help.

1. I've seen somewhere that it can take 14 weeks. Is this true? I really need it asap.

2. Can anyone recommend a place that I could get cheap(er) sofas? I know it's being bought for me but I really don't want my mum spending too much on me (especially when she should be treating herself")

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    If you go to DFS or some place like that, then you going to have to wait. Upto 14 weeks is about right if its being made abroad, if its coming from the UK I doubt it will take that long.

Have you tried Ikea? They do some great modern sofas which don't cost the earth. Plus they often have them in stock so you can take it home with you there and then.

:thumb:
    Aw no I really need one in the next couple of weeks.

I saw only one sofa that I liked from Ikea and it was over 500. I don't have access to a van nor could I hire one because of my age so that's a no-goer for me :(
    Ikea deliver so if you did find something you liked you could get it delivered. Have you tried MFI ? I'm sure they will have something.

If you are really stuck for a van, ' Man with a Van' adverts are usually in the local paper.

Other than that it may be garden table and chairs until your sofa arrives :D
    Calvin wrote: »
    Ikea deliver so if you did find something you liked you could get it delivered. Have you tried MFI ? I'm sure they will have something.

If you are really stuck for a van, ' Man with a Van' adverts are usually in the local paper.

Other than that it may be garden table and chairs until your sofa arrives :D

Ikea don't deliver to my area. MFI may be an option (don't they take 14 weeks too?) Yeah I may try man with a van. Cheers mate :)
    SCS (at the Fort) have quite a few sofas that you can take away/have delivered sharpish.
    Calvin wrote: »
    Upto 14 weeks is about right if its being made abroad, if its coming from the UK I doubt it will take that long.

Funnily enough when we were buying our bed, we went to Homebase and decided on two. Asked at the info desk which would take longer. The one from Bradford 10 weeks, the one from Norway 2 weeks :)
    RubberSkin wrote: »
    Funnily enough when we were buying our bed, we went to Homebase and decided on two. Asked at the info desk which would take longer. The one from Bradford 10 weeks, the one from Norway 2 weeks

That'll probably be because furniture suppliers in Europe have gigantic warehouses packed full of pre-made and ready-to-ship items, whereas the dude in Bradford will be making each item to order, as they don't have the space to store them. Boring, but true!

Anyhoo, have a gander on the internet, there are many furniture bargains to be had, and they'll deliver to your door. Can't guarantee comfort or niceness for cheap though!
    My friend at work got a sofa from here http://www.oakridgedirect.co.uk/ - they may not be wildy stylish but they are very good value and comfey as well.

However unless you go to somewhere which has furniture in stock your likely to wait at least a month or two for any sofa.
    Have a look on Ebay, yes you'll have to collect but there are some real bargains to be had on stuff like this...(I should know I sold my dad's 3 seater leather for £50 lol)
    No help on the sofa front, but could your mum hire the van?
    Wyetry wrote: »
    My friend at work got a sofa from here http://www.oakridgedirect.co.uk/ - they may not be wildy stylish but they are very good value and comfey as well.

wow just had a look at that website and it looks amazing!! lovely, simple sofas. i'm totally buying mine from there!
    Mine took 6 weeks from DFS but they did say 10 originally.
    My mum can't drive unfortunately. I'm thinking of seeing DFS or SCS and get one that can get delivered right away.
  • Saeed MSaeed M Posts: 270 The Mix Regular
    Sometimes DFS have 'reduced' stock that's returned or no longer wanted. But then you'd be very restricted for choice.
    a dfs man once turned up outside my friends house and tried to sell him a random sofa that someone didn't want!
    I got mine from DFS, took 6 weeks to come and cost about £1000 back in 2002. Was supposed to be on 4 years interest free credit - 1st year nowt to pay and the rest at £30 ish a month for 3 years. They stopped taking the direct debit after 2 years and after me querying it they confirmed in writing my account was clear - job done! :thumb:

I liked them because the frame is guaranteed for 10 years and the upholstery for 5 years and I took out the accidental damage cleaning plan thingy as I have a child that is a grubby toad. They were also really good with progress updates and gave me plenty of notice of the delivery date. One thing to bear in mind is: can you get the sofa through your doorways? May sound stupid but I never thought about it. Sofas from DFS are pretty huge and flat doorways are not always big enough. My sofa ended up being lifted over my garden wall and had to come in through the patio door at the back as my front door wasn't wide enough.
    May sound stupid but I never thought about it. Sofas from DFS are pretty huge and flat doorways are not always big enough. My sofa ended up being lifted over my garden wall and had to come in through the patio door at the back as my front door wasn't wide enough.
    Haha, yeah good point. The guys delivering my sofa couldnt get it in my front door, although they didnt really try that hard. They suggested we smashed the livingroom window, put the sofa through there and then claimed on my house insurance!!

I got them to leave it in the garden in the end and 10 minutes later we got it in.