Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Email Scam!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Okay, just got an email...

FROM: MR MOHAMED BUBA CREDIT BANK BENINOUAGADOUGOU-BURKINA FASO Dear Friend, This message might meet you in utmost surprise however,it's just my urgentneed for a foreign partner that made me contact you for this transaction.I am a banker by profession from ouagadougou-Burkina faso in west Africa and currently holding the post of Foreign Remmittance Manager in our bankBurkina Faso office .

blah blah blah...

Obviously i have no intention to start handing over any account details etc...

But is there any fun that can be had with them? I remember seeing something on TV where someone got a similar email and ended up getting the original senders to take photos holding up stupid phrases under the pretence that they would then hand over account details...

Do you think it would be worth replying in an attempt to make fools of them?

Comments

• BunnieBunnie Posts: 6,099 Master Poster
    haha! I remember that, I cant remember what it was on though.

But no, I have no idea...sorry, not much use! :)
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Mr Orange wrote: »

Do you think it would be worth replying in an attempt to make fools of them?

I wouldn't. But if I were wanting to do something like that, I'd head along to www.419eaters.com for a mentor.
    I don't care how old and senile people get, if you fall for those scams then frankly you deserve to lose your money!
    I've had similar ones, saying I've got some long lost uncle with the same surname in africa whose left me millions, but I have to send a couple of thousand over first. I had at least 3 or 4 of them, each with a different long-lost uncle whose died apparantly :lol:

You could play around with it, but tbh, I don't think the senders will be up for doing stupid things. They probably send hundreds of those kind of e-mails a day, and so won't want to waste their time on people they think are pulling their leg.
    Yerascrote wrote: »
    I don't care how old and senile people get, if you fall for those scams then frankly you deserve to lose your money!

Exactly. If someone is stupid enough to believe these scam emails then they deserve to lose their money. Who in their right mind would believe the email that reads they have won the Spanish lottery that they clearly didn't enter and clearly doesn't exist, or the email like Mr Orange has posted an excerpt from.
    edn1 wrote: »
    Exactly. If someone is stupid enough to believe these scam emails then they deserve to lose their money. Who in their right mind would believe the email that reads they have won the Spanish lottery that they clearly didn't enter and clearly doesn't exist, or the email like Mr Orange has posted an excerpt from.

It's the same as with religious nuts, they prey on disabled people and those really lonely.

Then of course there are those infinitely stupid that are just plain gullible, I agree that those deserve to lose their money.
    Yeah it's worth going for the bait but do not use any of your real information, these people are real organised criminals.

I'd sign up to www.419eater.com and read through the stickes there is lots of info there to help you. We also offer mentoring to new baiters as well, just to show the ropes etc.

Say good bye to all your free time!