Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Goldfish

BunnieBunnie Posts: 6,099 Master Poster
I don't know where to put this...I was thinking relationships, but seeing as I havent bought the goldfish yet, I have no relationship formed with them. So sorry if it is in the wrong place!

No here is the deal, for my birthday, my boyfriend said he would get me some goldfish (taken a while but we're getting them tomorrow). I knew I needed to add the water to bowl about a week before (I got excited, and didnt about a week and half ago!) but the water is looking cloudy and there seems to bits floating around in it.

Obviously I have waited long enough so don't want to have to re-do the whole procedure, so is there anything I can do to clean the water, but still be able to get them tomorrow? Can I perhaps empty a 1/4 of the water and top up? or will they be ok in there until I need to clean them out?

I have water cleaner liquid stuff, but thats done bugger all!

Thank you :)

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    You don't need to leave the water for a week and a half! Overnight should do it, or if you are using the de-chlorine stuff then just follow the instructions on the bottle.

When you get your fish, don't forget to float the plastic bag you brought them home in in the tank of water for a couple of hours, so that the temperatures are the same.
  • BunnieBunnie Posts: 6,099 Master Poster
    You don't need to leave the water for a week and a half! Overnight should do it, or if you are using the de-chlorine stuff then just follow the instructions on the bottle.

When you get your fish, don't forget to float the plastic bag you brought them home in in the tank of water for a couple of hours, so that the temperatures are the same.

overnight? thats perfect that means I can do it again tonight and not have to worry. :)
    Yep :) As far as I remember, it's just so that the chlorine in the water can evaporate and then won't harm the fish.
    Haha, I remember the excitement of getting goldfish.
    Awwh what are you going to call them?
    If you haven't refilled it already, fill it using a jug and pour from as high above as you can manage, that's supposed to be good too as it aerates the water.
  • Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    I used to have 2 goldfish... I actually think they're cute!
    Tell us about the little fishies later. :D
  • littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    You should name them Bubble and Squeak :yes:
  • Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    You should name them Bubble and Squeak :yes:
    One of mine was Bubble, hehe. But Sqeak is a name for a mouse, and besides them both being cat food, I don't see what fish and mice have in common. :p
    Our fish were hard.

We just put the bowl under the tap in the sink and filled it up to clean it out. They lived ages too.

Then recently my sister got a proper fish tank and they all keep dying!
  • BunnieBunnie Posts: 6,099 Master Poster
    I have my fishes!! :) they are a bit boring and just sit under the bridge but now and again will pop to the top for some food.

We have named them Sir Swimalot and Miss Fluffy. Very cute little things.

I tried to take a piccie, but they are camera shy, and swam away so I will try again another day.

God bless the fishies! :)