Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

change of 404

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Not too long ago when using FF I had this stupid "this website is hosted by company X and is waiting to be set up" message randomly decide to pop up as a 404 message. I didn't think much about it at first but thought it was bizarre as it's in Icelandic and it's popping up for websites that are in no way connected to this company. Websites even that are working and I shouldn't be getting a 404 on.

I've been getting this message for a subdomain for one page I frequent and it's been happening all day long without the browser even querying for the site. I'm on other parts of the site no problem. :mad:

Does anybody know how the 404 even got changed and what could possibly be going on with it? Whenever I see this message I want to send a long email filled with swearwords to the email they give on the page as I want fuck all to do with this company and DEFINITELY not for them to hijack all 404 messages with this ugly page.

I'm getting all worked up just typing this out. ;) All help much appreciated!

ETA: #)(/$#)(/$# It's also appearing in IE for that site I'm wanting to access. I do get some standard 404s but this one tends to pop up when I mistype urls or don't even type in a proper url. I have no idea what's going on with it and it's pissing me off to no end. And no, it's not that the site ain't working.

Comments

• Options
    The 404 error message is a server-side option to change though. If you're getting it in more than one browser across multiple sites then something very strange is going on.

Edited to add- are you getting this message when you browse at work? In which case it could be a firewall-presented page that is shown if you try to browse somewhere that isn't allowed.
  • Options
    I don't really have an internet access where I'm working nowadays. Don't remember if this came before I left uni though, hmm.

The page I was trying to access started working again this morning so for now things are alright. Might ask if my internet provider knows something about this.