Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Earthquake!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I felt it

Freaky.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Lucky you. Has your chimney fallen off or anything? *wobble*
    No damage at my house. Thankfully. Will check in with friends later.

Have felt the aftershock too now...

This is weird. Never had anything like this in my 36 years...
    Why did it happen then? Just a random earthquake?
    We had one a few years ago.
    Paul Smye-Rumsby, who lives in Dover, said: "It was about 08.15 when suddenly the bed shook violently.

"I thought my wife had got cramp or something but then I saw the curtains were moving and the whole house was shaking. It lasted about 1.5 seconds.

:D
    We had one a few years ago, i was the only one who felt it and i started crying because i thought something was shaking my bed lol.
    I think we're not that far from a fault line. I'm sure Edinburgh castle is built on a dormat volcano.
    lol i just called my dad and he slept straight through it and thought i was part of his dream (yes he's still in bed)
    I felt nothing. :no: the most exciting thing to happen in this county for decades and I bloody miss it!
    How long did it last?

I remember there was a little earthquake a few years ago... I had a friend over and my mum was downstairs... she thought we were boucing on the bed because the ceiliing was shaking. I never felt it though.

Also think there was one when I lived in France. Vaguely remember it, but I was only about 5 or 6 at the time. I remember hiding in all the coats near the front door cos I was too scared to go into the living room where my mum and sister were. :blush:
    pff! We get earthquakes all the time, I've lost count of how many I've experienced. Definitely more than 20. There was one just last week in my city. In the south the experts say there's a volcano rising which caused a mini "tsunami" just two weeks ago, there are seven people missing. It's been quite terrible actually.
    I was in bed thinking about getting up when I felt the bed move. I though it was the sodding cats climbing on it again... Rolled over and reslised that it wasn't - though I was going mad. The saw the mirror on the wall was shaking...
    They're pretty scary, aren't they? ;)
    Not when it's 4.3.

What surprised me was how quickly I realised what it was. There was no doubt in my mind and I can;t tell you why. It's not like they are regular in the UK. Like I said in my 36 years it's the first one in this area - although there have been others in the country.

We aren't near any fault lines, there aren't many active volcanos within 1000 miles... but as soon as I saw the mirror moving I knew we were having an earthquake.

Shamefully my next thought was "Thank God I'm not on-call this week" - if I was then I would have had go to work and that would have buggered my morning plans...
    We had one near here a few years ago, but only lasted a second and was nothing incredible. Just a rumbling :)
    I felt it, but not much - i was in bed trying to go back to sleep with my boyfriend pottering around getting ready for work, and i thought he'd walked into the side of it cos it felt wobbly and then i rolled over and went back to sleep :)
    Not when it's 4.3.

What surprised me was how quickly I realised what it was. There was no doubt in my mind and I can;t tell you why. It's not like they are regular in the UK. Like I said in my 36 years it's the first one in this area - although there have been others in the country.

Aparently there's aproximatly 1 earthquake every two weeks in the UK that is strong enough to be felt. I supose people just don't notice them or put them down to something else, and they're over so quickly they have not reason to question it.

Like aparently we get more tornados than the tornado belt in america, it's just they're so small and rarely seen... Weird though. :crazyeyes
    i remember there was some tremor thingy when i was in the airport waiting to come back from crete, was quite freaky!

ive thought theres been an earthquake a few times when bombs have went off.. i remember when i was like 6 a big fucker went off and i thought it was a nuclear bomb and the world was going to end .. due to watching terminator 2 :(:o
    z- wrote: »
    i remember when i was like 6 a big fucker went off and i thought it was a nuclear bomb and the world was going to end .. due to watching terminator 2 :(:o
    :lol: poor you though! :(
    RubberSkin wrote: »
    I think we're not that far from a fault line. I'm sure Edinburgh castle is built on a dormat volcano.

:lol: What's a dormat volcano? An ornamental one you have outside your front door? :D
    I know what caused it. My boyfriend farted in bed that morning..but seriously I slept straight through. Didn't feel a thing.
  • Saeed MSaeed M Posts: 270 The Mix Regular
    What surprised me was how quickly I realised what it was. There was no doubt in my mind and I can;t tell you why.

My brother, who lives in Kent, thought it was the neighbours' washing machine and went back to sleep!
  • Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    Wow, I thought earthquakes never happened up there!
    I quite like earthquakes, unless they're the rare strong ones that cause damage.
    z- wrote: »
    i remember there was some tremor thingy when i was in the airport waiting to come back from crete, was quite freaky!

ive thought theres been an earthquake a few times when bombs have went off.. i remember when i was like 6 a big fucker went off and i thought it was a nuclear bomb and the world was going to end .. due to watching terminator 2 :(:o
    lol, once I was dreaming that I was in WW2 and an earthquake woke me up, so before I had time to realise that the war was a dream I started shouting something about the Germans hitting us with a bomb.