Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Vegetables

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I have loads of vegetables in the press that are going to go off by sunday, if i cook them and leave them in the fridge will they be ok?

Also is there anything different i can do with potatoes, brocoli, and carrots im sick of just boiling them, any suggestions?

Comments

• Options
    Make a casserole or stew with them, then freeze any leftovers. Thats what I would do.

Carrots-mash them with swede? Broccoli with cheese sauce, like cauliflower cheese? Potatoes are very versatile, you can do loads with them.
  • Options
    Make a vegetable gratin. Steam any veg you want till almost cooked. Put in an oven proof dish. Cover with white sauce and sprinkle with cheese and breadcrumbs. Place in an oven 200c/Gas mark 6 for 25 minutes or until the top in nice and golden.
  • Options
    Make vegetable soup with them. Just boil them until soft in vegetable stock, add some herbs or spices and black pepper, blend them (you can use a folk or potato masher if you don't have a blender) and eat it! You can freeze it too.
  • Options
    you could blanch then freeze them.
  • Options
    RubberSkin wrote: »
    Make a vegetable gratin. Steam any veg you want till almost cooked. Put in an oven proof dish. Cover with white sauce and sprinkle with cheese and breadcrumbs. Place in an oven 200c/Gas mark 6 for 25 minutes or until the top in nice and golden.

that sounds ace, i have to try that!

PS. *hint* please visit my thread ;)
  • Options
    Butternut squash, parsnip, onion, broccoli and swede makes a fab gratin. Nice range of colours and textures. If you put the onions on the top, some of the tips poke through and caramelise in the oven so they're all sweet and crispy :yum:
  • Options
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    minimi38 wrote: »
    you could blanch then freeze them.
    This is what i was going to sugges :yes:
  • Options
    that all sounds great, thanks a million for everyones help