Home Drink & Drugs
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Hannah rants about drug users

2»

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Twaddle.

Come Back To Us Love When You've Tried It.

Heart Shaped Necklaces My Aunt Fanny.
    I was gonna write something but I really don't think I can be arsed now, it's quite ingorent what she wrote, but I'd rather smoke some weed than drink a bunch of Vodka & Oranges or sink 7+ pints.

Does she post on her?
    Whats stupid is that people think of drugs as this one evil thing. Its like you take pills at the weekend and they're suddenly comparing you to a heroin addict.
    Didn't you know though Lipsy, everyone that takes drugs is a needle wielding junkie!?
    Makoto wrote: »
    I was gonna write something but I really don't think I can be arsed now, it's quite ingorent what she wrote, but I'd rather smoke some weed than drink a bunch of Vodka & Oranges or sink 7+ pints.

I thought the same. I can't even be arsed to reply. Shes obviously an ignorant cunt who needs to get into the real world and open her mind.

And on that note I'm off to get ready for my night out, drink some vodka, snort some coke, and drop a couple of pills. I'm going straight to hell.
    I can sort of see where she's coming from, but you can tell she's been fed quite a lot of that from the media/government.

You do get people who think they're something special cause they take drugs, and she'd maybe have been better focusing her rant on that. Dismissing drug users as idiots just undermines her whole argument.

But then I don't agree that you need to have tried drugs to have an opinion on drugs or why it's the "in" thing to be doing or whatever else. That rant had potential, but she negated any point she might have had with the sweeping generalisations and the media bullshit.
    1983 wrote: »
    Come Back To Us Love When You've Tried It.

She doesn't need to try it. She just needs to stop condemning those of us who take a pill or have a bit of sniff at the weekend like millions of others who do the exact same thing apart from their drug of choice is legal.
  • Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    Bri-namite wrote: »
    But then I don't agree that you need to have tried drugs to have an opinion on drugs or why it's the "in" thing to be doing or whatever else. That rant had potential, but she negated any point she might have had with the sweeping generalisations and the media bullshit.
    Not to mention admitting to doing drugs herself.
    But then I don't agree that you need to have tried drugs to have an opinion on drugs or why it's the "in" thing to be doing or whatever else.

I don't think its the IN thing really. I agree there are some who go on about it like they're cool. But I could never talk aopenly about doing drugs to most people. Its only my closest mates and people at clubs I go to. If my parents, or my uni mates or anyoneat work found out I'd be looked down on, shouted at and probably out of a job.
    What's the point? With me it's so black and white - if you do drugs, you're an idiot

I think its this quote which has provoked such strong feelings. You have admitted you smoke and drink. Both nicotine and alcohol are drugs; only difference is they are legal.

We all make choices about what drugs we take, I don't think a drugs legality matters one bit. A recent study found cannabis and ecstasy were less dangerous than tobacco and alcohol. Just because something is legal and taxable doesn't make it any less harmful.

I have respect for anyone who understands and accepts the risks of taking a certain drug. For me the most worrying aspect of any drug is when that drug begins to control you rather than you control it, I can think of no bigger culprit that nicotine. Yet because nicotine is legal we tend not to think of addicted people as 'junkies' yet were happy to criticise people addicted to cocaine and heroin. OK one is legal and the other isn't, but in terms of damaging health and causing deaths cigarettes and alcohol are top of the league.

:thumb:
  • smitherzsmitherz Posts: 968 Part of The Mix Family
    Calvin wrote: »
    I think its this quote which has provoked such strong feelings. You have admitted you smoke and drink. Both nicotine and alcohol are drugs; only difference is they are legal.

We all make choices about what drugs we take, I don't think a drugs legality matters one bit. A recent study found cannabis and ecstasy were less dangerous than tobacco and alcohol. Just because something is legal and taxable doesn't make it any less harmful.

I have respect for anyone who understands and accepts the risks of taking a certain drug. For me the most worrying aspect of any drug is when that drug begins to control you rather than you control it, I can think of no bigger culprit that nicotine. Yet because nicotine is legal we tend not to think of addicted people as 'junkies' yet were happy to criticise people addicted to cocaine and heroin. OK one is legal and the other isn't, but in terms of damaging health and causing deaths cigarettes and alcohol are top of the league.

:thumb:

Very well said :thumb:
    I had an argument with my ex girlfriend over drugs once. She called me pathetic, stupid and disgusting because of how I abuse drugs and that I'm a coward for not being able to face reality.

In turn, I called her a drug addict. She questioned why, I told her because she smokes 20 cigarettes a day.
    She was like "oh don't start that, it's completely different". How the fuck is it different? Nicotine is a drug, it's addictive, it damages your wallet, it kills you. Sounds like Heroin to me.

As for not being able to face reality, I always made a point of reminding her how she used to go out and get stupidly drunk and cheat on me, everytime we had an argument.

Some people eh?
    Well... It was worth a laugh at least. Ignorance of that level just can't be taken seriously, in my mind.
    Makoto wrote: »

Does she post on her?

yea who is she anyway
    While I agree that the article was written from a position of ignorance, I think it is important that board users read and take this post in, and also I think it is perfectly fine for TheSite to post this material provided of course that there is room for a counter opinion to be put (which from previous posts there obviously is).

We spend much of our time on this board discussing what is very much a minority issue, a special interest (not use but policy and pharmacology) and one that is not on the same level as broader public discourse.

As Blaggy has already pointed out, this seems like something of a tabloid line regurgitation exercise, but the reality is that this represents a very very large chunk of public opinion.

This is what we are up against, Ladies and Gents; we need to be aware of the way people understand these issues, how and by what processes they form their opinions and challenge them in such a way that allows them to go on and think for themselves.
    While I agree that the article was written from a position of ignorance, I think it is important that board users read and take this post in, and also I think it is perfectly fine for TheSite to post this material provided of course that there is room for a counter opinion to be put (which from previous posts there obviously is).

We spend much of our time on this board discussing what is very much a minority issue, a special interest (not use but policy and pharmacology) and one that is not on the same level as broader public discourse.

As Blaggy has already pointed out, this seems like something of a tabloid line regurgitation exercise, but the reality is that this represents a very very large chunk of public opinion.

This is what we are up against, Ladies and Gents; we need to be aware of the way people understand these issues, how and by what processes they form their opinions and challenge them in such a way that allows them to go on and think for themselves.
    Stop the miseducaction and scare tactics -> legalise and regulate -> voila! public attitude changes!

While that may be true, the worst thing you could do would be to take the view that anyone who doesn't want to take pills or coke is just undeducated or is automatically missing out. The parallel with alcohol works both ways, while some might prefer "bad" drugs then others might prefer to stick to alcohol and leave the comedowns etc to others. Fuck, there's probably as many people who take stuff that don't "think for themselves" at all - they do it cause their mates do it.

Pro choice is the way ahead, but the "shutup until you've tried it" view is how all this shit starts. Always worth remembering that "I don't want to take certain drugs" doesn't always equal "I'm a misinformed idiot", y'know?
    We're all entitled to our own opinion but ...

FUCK ME !

Every one always goes on and on and on about the dangers and that I've had plently of pils, I'm still here aren't I ?
    As for weed, there are no recored fatalities from it directly ... Smoking is more deadly !
    Arite coke is a bit more dangerous but as long as you don't make a habit of it you should be ok !

And anyway ... She drinks and smokes and they are both drugs so what if they're legal who decides whether things are legal or not?
    The Government.
    And who the fuck wants to rely on the Government for an honest opinion?
    Not me.
    The Blanket idea 'Legalise and Educate' only works if everyone subject to the system obeys rational choice - countless threads detailing the usage of pretty knowledgable and engaged people on this board, confirm that this is not always the case.

Yes, lots of people have had lots of pills and are still here, no one is seriously disputing that. But what goes for one, or two, or many does not go for all, and the appropriate research would need to be done, and support structures in place, before such a process of legalisation could take place.

Bri-namite: I agree with your sentiments up to a point. At the moment I think there is a culture that automatically assumes abstenstion = ignorance, and while many people who abstain may do so from a position of relative ignorance, this does not mean that all do.

My view is that we need to have a debate within which we can reasonably allow people to take it or leave it - at the moment we have two camps which are completely opposed to each other. It need not be this way. What needs to happen, on both sides of the divide, is to raise awareness of what the issues are for drug harm reduction in terms of the health, legal and social issues involves.
    Anyone who has the cheek to say drugs are bad while drinking vodka and smoking ciggarettes at the same time are twats. I sorta feel sorry for, it's sad that there's millions like her out there.

The truth is, drugs aren't totally good, but the aren't totally bad either and with moderate and responsible use you can have a bloody good time on them!

It's funny how she mentioned Leah Betts, if Leah had access to information on E's she'd know not to drink X litres of water that killed her so it wasn't the E that killed her. If Ecstacy was legal and controlled, it would be much safer and stuff like that would not happen.
    Leah Betts, Lorna Spinks, Claire Leighton...unfortunately they'll all be bought up as examples to PROVE that this thing Ecstasy is analogous to Russian Roulette.

The damage that I think this does is that it misdirects from the very real problem, not of 'take one and you'll die' but 'take ten or twelve regularly, with other substances, and you may well have serious limiting long term health problems'.

Of course, you can't run a media awareness campaign about taking too many pills, or poly drug use, because everyone knows 'just one could kill you':rolleyes:

A harmful fantasy keeping initiatives against the harmful reality at bay i'm afraid.
    The actual taking of a drug by an individual is not a moral question; it is the wider social consequences. To say that a little white tablet on a table is an inherently morally good or bad thing is absurd.
    shadow wrote: »
    All i can say it is dangerous but its up to the person who takes drugs its their life and they are responsible for their own actions. I never want to do drugs. We cant keep telling people its right or wrong because its up to them.

I don't like this attitude either. It's people like this who are first to point fingers at the user when someone dies of an ecstacy death. The same people who say the user was selfish and knew they were taking a risk with their own life. Absolute shite.
    Pro choice is the way ahead, but the "shutup until you've tried it" view is how all this shit starts. Always worth remembering that "I don't want to take certain drugs" doesn't always equal "I'm a misinformed idiot", y'know?

I agree with that. You will always get massive opinions on this subject.

Speaking as someone who has been there, done that and gone straight (few years ago now) - I can almost agree with some of what she is saying. I don't want to be one of those "just say no" people, but having just lost a friend to the after effects of class a's, I'm a bit touchy at the moment. The way she puts her rant is rather unfortunate though and is sure to get peoples backs up. But it's a rant and thats what rants are - they don't have to be well thought out reasoned arguments.
    Addict wrote: »
    I don't like this attitude either. It's people like this who are first to point fingers at the user when someone dies of an ecstacy death. The same people who say the user was selfish and knew they were taking a risk with their own life. Absolute shite.

Out of interest...whose fault would it be then?
    silverhalo wrote: »
    Out of interest...whose fault would it be then?

As a comparison, if someone was driving a car, crashed after hitting a bad bit of road, died, would you also say it was their fault for driving the car in the first place?

It's more the selfish accusations that gets me. Some people seem to think if someone takes ecstacy, they are selfish and don't care about their families. Alot of the same people probably go out every weekend and get absolutely sloshed without a second thought for their safety.
  • **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster

:yes: well put.
    But it's a rant and thats what rants are - they don't have to be well thought out reasoned arguments.

Yeh but you need to be at least a little bit educated on the subject that you're ranting about.

I won't start writing a rant about the genocide in Darfur because of what I hear on the news, I do some research and that's where I garner my views. This girl obviously just thinks she's the bees knees but she's not, far from it.