Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Plastic Mobile Phone Cases

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I bought a clear plastic case for my Motorola L6 simply because the phone is very slim and I liked the fact a clear case kept the look but protected it as well BUT .... the damn thing is cracking here there and everywhere and I've never dropped the phone, or even put it anywhere it can crack

Most of the time it sit on my desk, the other week I saw a small crack in it - by morning the crack had grown.

Spoke to a friend and he said the same thing happened to his £5 case as well ..

.. anyone else had this?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Does it see lots of sunshine?
    Does it see lots of sunshine?

nope spends most of it's life on my desk under normal amount of light

I bought 2 cases one for myself and one for my uncle - at the time I thought both were the same but when I gave his his I could see there were slight differences like his has some extra cut outs, but his is well in tact and he's quite rough with his phone.

Trouble with plastic is you can never tell the quality from just the looks
    One of the killers with plastic is heat and/or light which was why I asked.
    I just think a lot of these things from China are made with the cheapest plastic possible to keep the costs low.

Now that I think of it - I had a rubber kinda case for my Nokia phone but the plastic clip on that broke as well.

With materials like Rubber or Leather you can sort of tell the quality by the look and feel of it - with plastic you can't - maybe from the weight, thickness or sound it makes when you tap it you can but none of that you can actually tell online when buying from ebay for example.

There needs to be some kind of standard for plastic I think - so when you buy something made from plastic you know it's not just going to break easily.
    That'd be really difficult to do because different plastics are better for different things, even subtle changes in application are better suited by different plastics.
    That'd be really difficult to do because different plastics are better for different things, even subtle changes in application are better suited by different plastics.

Yeah but then you need a brand name you can trust - like for non stick coatings if it says Teflon you know it's gonna be pretty decent.
    xsazx wrote: »
    you've got to consider polymerisation when creating the plastics in the first place - all plastics originate from alkenes (unsaturated hydrocarbons) and the number of carbon/hydrogens give different ploymers when cracked

eg polyethene - plastic bags/bottles (cheap and strong), polychloroethene (pvc) for drainpipes and waterproofs (rigid till plasticisers are added), polypropene for crates and ropes (strong and elastic) and polystyrene for packaging and casings (cheap and easy to mold) for just a few examples.

Its a very small structural change but creating such a diverse range of products so generalising and creating a "standard plastic" would be rather akward. Anyway chemistry lesson over :p

I swear you'll have Carol Voderman's job soon enough .. :eek2:
    xsazx wrote: »
    lol I'm no good with the words though :( can solve most the maths problems though =]

I'm wicked with the words only trouble is most of them are 4 letters long .. :D