Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

attention seeker?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
Without too much detail..the story goes like so...I have a few problems that am currently trying to work out, I keep talking to my tutor about them, and I don't know if I am an attention seeker, because I must admit I really enjoy the chats and kinda get a high from them. Or if I just get high (rushes or whatever) from having mood swings. They are quite intense mood swings, and I feel like I could really do somthing crazy soon.
what do you think?
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    I think this relates to your seeing things move thread on the health and fitness forum...

Otherwise, its always nice to have some attention but do you make things up to talk about or do you really have some issues? If you have issues to talk through then how is it attention seeking? I wouldn't stress over it too much, everyone has mood swings now and then.
  • Options
    yes i do have genuine issues

thanks for your reply
  • Options
    say more thingss......
  • Options
    I don't think you have a problem. On my course, we always take part in debates. (at least half of them aren't work related)
  • Options
    Sofie wrote: »
    I don't think you have a problem. On my course, we always take part in debates. (at least half of them aren't work related)

w...t...f...
  • Options
    What? You are probably worrying about nothing. It doesn't seem to me that you have a problem.
  • Options
    Nah, the fact that you get a high probably means that you're offloading your problems, therefore making you feel better etc etc...:)
  • Options
    Nutter wrote: »
    say more thingss......

Stop asking for more attention :p
  • Options
    squeal wrote: »
    Stop asking for more attention :p

lol. yeah thanks.
  • Options
    capo2 wrote: »
    Nah, the fact that you get a high probably means that you're offloading your problems, therefore making you feel better etc etc...:)

excellent point. i feel better already! :thumb:
  • Options
    I should know, the same thing happened to me this week and suddenly I feel so much better!! :D
  • Options
    capo2 wrote: »
    I should know, the same thing happened to me this week and suddenly I feel so much better!! :D

did you get a high from it also? :chin:
  • Options
    Do you get to talk to people often and do they listen to you like your tutor does? Sometimes its hard to talk to people. I wouldnt call you an attention seekr. Just that you've found someone to open upto.
  • Options
    In reply to "did you get a high from it also?" (Sorry I forgot to hit the quote button etc etc lol!!)

It's not so much that, it's like a huge weight lifted off my shoulders more than anything. I didn't realise just how bad things had been until I opened up to one of my tutors, which wasn't actually that hard to do. The hardest part was actually gathering myself enough to actually contact him. Ya see, I'm the kind of person who doesn't say anything, and then it builds up, until I reach breaking point.

It was fantastic to have someone who just sat and listened, gave excellent advice, and went to a lot of trouble to help me out. I was so embarrassed that I just basically cried the whole time, but it didn't phase him, and now I feel miles better. It's great to know that I have that kind of support at university. :)
  • Options
    It's easy to label someone an attention seeker. By definition, it's someone who seeks attention, whether affection or just to be noticed, right? That's most people probably.

But the people who go out of their way, often get a negative label. But then you have to consider the reasons why they're seeking attention. I think most reasons are perfectly justifiable. If someone has problems or issues and finds talking about them beneficial or just having someone there to listen and talk about nothing then great.

So maybe you are an attention seeker :) but it's not a bad thing, nor a concious thing. I'm an attention seeker at times, when I crave acceptance when I get low self esteem (and will phone friends upset about nothing really.. the printer broke lol). Other times, I want to be isolated a bit.

I think you get people who crave attention because they get jealous of other people having attention which isn't the best thing as you should be happy without comparing yourself, but for everything else it's fine.
  • Options
    I must admit I did do that at school a couple of times out of complete loneliness, and then I made good friends and just didn't feel the need anymore. Now though, I wouldn't dare do it, the only time I ever open up to anyone is when I am hitting breaking point...it's probably not a good idea to let stuff get that far either though...I haven't quite hit a happy medium yet...lol!!
  • Options
    :chin: