Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Finding out what I'm allergic to

Is there any easy way of doing this please? I think I kno what I'm allergic to but am not entirely sure.
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Boots sell kits that test for certain allergies...
    I heard you can get an allergy test done by your GP. Gonna give that a go, tell her I keep coming out in a rash and I can't pinpoint what it is...would be very handy for pms too, as I always get bloated and sicky feeling. :yuck:
    I'm at the dcotors on Friday (related issues) so will ask about it then
    Part of it will depend what it is that you think you might be allergic to as to whether or not they test for it and in what way.
    What are the symptoms of your allergy?

I had terrible rashes for a while, that came on and off, and couldn't work out what was causing it, although I never had a blood test. It turned out that it was caused by stress, but some decent anti-histamines sorted it out. Hasn't returned since, touch wood.
    Part of it will depend what it is that you think you might be allergic to as to whether or not they test for it and in what way.

I think it's soya milk. I mentioned this to mum earlier who tried telling me 'oh you can't be. You've been having it on & off for years'.:rolleyes: And I've also had cow's milk on & off for years and can't have it now. (as I discovered this morning, the reactions are both the same - stomach ache, wind and the runs)
    I suspect they'd suggest a trial and error type testing, ie don't have any for a month, and then have some and see what happens.

It's worth asking though.
    Sofie wrote: »
    the reactions are both the same - stomach ache, wind and the runs)

That sounds more like an intolerance than an allergy (allergic symptoms are more like swelling, rashes, itching, wheezing, etc). I'm not sure if there are any tests that will detect an intolerance.

To be honest, though, soya milk is not exactly something that's difficult to avoid. Wouldn't it be easier to just not have it again if it makes you ill?
    kaffrin wrote: »
    To be honest, though, soya milk is not exactly something that's difficult to avoid. Wouldn't it be easier to just not have it again if it makes you ill?

Maybe. But I also allergic to cows' milk and can't have anything (apart from toast - which isn't that filling) for brealfast.
    Rice milk? Goats milk? Cereal with water or juice?
    Don't have rice or goats milk yet. Might get some tomorrow after going to the doctors and finding out what's wrong.
    Hey Sofie .... when I went to the docs for a similar thing I was told to keep a food diary for a few weeks and note down any reactions that I had in it too. That way they can trace the food(s) that may be causing the problem. I was a lazy cow and couldn't be arsed but I imagine that it would be worth it to save all the aggro of feeling like crap.
    I've been doing that for the past 11 days.
    You need to do it for a fair amount of time, thinking 6 weeks type scale, and you need to write down absolutely everything you eat and drink.