Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Health chat Thurs 26th April

**helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
Next Thursday's expert chat will offer you the chance to ask GP Keith Hopcroft questions about health.

Keith is a regular columnist and contributor to The Sun and The Times newspaper; as well as being a medical adviser to mansized.co.uk and to Doctor and GP Update magazines.

He's also written a number of books and has made numerous contributions to radio.

As always, if you don't think you'll be able to make the chat, but have a question for Keith, just post it here and we'll make sure it's included on the night :thumb:

http://www.thesite.org/realchat/client/chat.jsp

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Is this just to do with physical or mental health? Or just health in general?
    Sofie wrote: »
    Is this just to do with physical or mental health? Or just health in general?

As he is a GP I would assume he will answer questions on both physical and mental health.
  • **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    Sofie wrote: »
    Or just health in general?

:yes: any aspect of health that you could speak to a GP about :)
    **Helen** wrote: »
    :yes: any aspect of health that you could speak to a GP about :)

:hyper:

Including me, or am I banned from this one?
    Are you a doctor MOK?
    Are you a doctor MOK?

Nah, Health Service Manager, working mainly with GPs. I could ask some "awkward" questions ;)

TBH I might pop in and ask some nice ones, I like to play fair around here. Thing is it would be like a busman's holiday for me.
    Can I ask questions about dentists? Thats about health.
    TBH I might pop in and ask some nice ones

That would be cool - he's not gonna be here for a grilling to be fair - just to offer some advice ;)
    Helen, please can you ask him about remedies for severe period pain (preferably not involving going on the pill). I'm 24 and have had awful periods for more than 10 years, the only time it was better is when I was on the pill but I don't want to be on it anymore.

*Bump*

Good question Katchika.
    What about that implant thingy? Im getting it in my arm. It lasts for about 5 years, can shorten/ weaken your periods, and releases a dose of oestrogen into your system every month.

Though it depends why you are stopping the pill in the first place.
    Or the coil :yes: less hormones, more localised.
    I'm 18 and in full time edcuation. Do I need to pay for prescritions yet or not?
    No :) Just tick the box that says under 19 and in full time education.
    Can you ask about tips for dealing with insomnia?
    Randomgirl wrote: »

I second this.
    Randomgirl wrote: »

Sure, but you might want to give a bit more detail. If you're not in the chat yourself then you won't be able to answer any questions the doc may have so any extra detail here would be great :)
    When is the health chat today? what sort of time?
    Yes tonight - 7-8pm
    Sure, but you might want to give a bit more detail. If you're not in the chat yourself then you won't be able to answer any questions the doc may have so any extra detail here would be great :)

I'll try to be there.
    Helen, I'm not going to be home this evening but could you ask him his views on what method of pain relief is most effective for sciatica?

I've been on several anti-inflammatories for it over the last two years. The most recent being Fenactol which I believe is from the same family as Nurofen and is as useful as a chocolate teapot but the one my GP is absolutely in love with (I would say because it's cheap to prescribe but I wouldn't want to cast aspersions). I'd just be interested to hear a second opinion, if he's got one :thumb:

Also his views on "alternative therapies" for it, if that phrase is not a mortal insult :razz: I know to stay away from stimulants like caffeine and I have tried all kinds of pillow origami but any other tips - medicinal or otherwise - are always welcome!
    Sure can :)
    Can you ask him about a sholder injury for me, im working so cant get in :(

basicly I came of my bike about 25-30mph, and from the sounds of it dislocated my shoulder, it popped then popped back in straight away, i could barely move it for about 2days and it started to losen up but the pain has still not gone, this was 3weeks ago and the pain is the same as it was since the accident, my doctor says its fine but I dont really trust him since the pain has not gone away,

I know its not really a serious or exotic health question but wouldn't mind a second opinion, thanks :D
    the rooms is open - health questions will start in ten mins :)
    the rooms is open - health questions will start in ten mins :)

Do you have a link for it?
    It wont let me log in for some reason?
    how can i ask a question to the doc? he seems to be busy answering rather lengthy questions...
    Nutter wrote: »
    how can i ask a question to the doc? he seems to be busy answering rather lengthy questions...

You just log in to the chat, post your question there and Jim will post it when the doctor has done the previous question.
    Is there a link to all the questions and answers please? I missed the start of the chat.