Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Student papers

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
Would you be annoyed if a letter you sent to a student news paper was published, even if you asked it not to be?

I'd be published anonymously, but they simply said "we value the imput of other students, we cannot take your letter out because it has gone to print", I mean wtf... I asked them DAYS AGO not to put anything I write in.

I mean it's my own writing, not theirs and therefor my property. I stated in the letter that it was only for the writer of a really bad article.

At least it's anonymous, otherwise it would out me to the whole university.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Namaste wrote: »
    Would you be annoyed if a letter you sent to a student news paper was published, even if you asked it not to be?

I'd be published anonymously, but they simply said "we value the imput of other students, we cannot take your letter out because it has gone to print", I mean wtf... I asked them DAYS AGO not to put anything I write in.

I mean it's my own writing, not theirs and therefor my property. I stated in the letter that it was only for the writer of a really bad article.

At least it's anonymous, otherwise it would out me to the whole university.

My experience is, never trust student journalists of politicians. Probably just the same as you shouldn't trust a professional journalist or politician (unless you know them and they've proved their integrity to you).

They're a bunch of careerist hacks, waiting to take over from the current bunch of liars and bootlickers who are employed in these professions.
    I wouldn't write anything to them that I wouldn't have published.
    I would be fucking annoyed, and seek revenge.
    carlito wrote: »
    A bunch of liars and bootlickers who are employed in these professions.

:lol: I am neither a liar or a bootlicker thanks v much. :D

Yes, I would be annoyed namaste. Complain. If you had asked for it not to be published then they should not do so.
    Why would you send it to a want-to-be-journalist if you didn't want it published? They probably needed something to fill up the space! If doesn't have your name on it then it's not so bad and as someone else commented, don't trust them :p
    katchika wrote: »
    :lol: I am neither a liar or a bootlicker thanks v much. :D

Well you better start now, or else have another job waiting for when you get fired...;)
    My experience is, never trust student journalists of politicians. Probably just the same as you shouldn't trust a professional journalist or politician (unless you know them and they've proved their integrity to you).

They're a bunch of careerist hacks, waiting to take over from the current bunch of liars and bootlickers who are employed in these professions.
    Good point. It is run by te uni journalist department and I guess the majority of journalists can't have ethics.
    Get revenge, or threaten to sue them.

Personally I would go for revenge, far more satisfying. :D
    Good point. It is run by te uni journalist department and I guess the majority of journalists can't have ethics.

There's a controversial statement, especially on a board moderated by journalists! :p (of a sort, I believe)

Well, they're supposed to, and I know several that try to uphold the ethics of the profession. They haven't got anywhere, of course.

Journalism is like almost every other (if not all) vocations now, it depends on $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$. Unless its voluntary, which is why I respect the people who run this place so much ;).

I'm sure they don't make a penny from it.
    ShyBoy wrote: »
    There's a controversial statement, especially on a board moderated by journalists! :p (of a sort, I believe)

yeah, I was half kidding half in a pissy mood.

I know there are good journalists out there... I love reading some journalist's articles... However, I don't think a lot of people go in to journalism to be, for example an investigative journalist and uncover the evils of big corporations, or photojournalists who want to put the world to right.

I often assume tat a lot of these people go in to it for money, or just want their name in print, which sounds harsh because I have a lot of journalist mates.

I have been told I should go in to writing myself and have considered journalism, so I don't really hate journalism students.. Even if I don't know if the course is little more than pointless.
    Well, they're supposed to, and I know several that try to uphold the ethics of the profession. They haven't got anywhere, of course.

Journalism is like almost every other (if not all) vocations now, it depends on $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$. Unless its voluntary, which is why I respect the people who run this place so much ;).

I'm sure they don't make a penny from it.
    Yeah, I REALLY respect anybody who works for an NGO or charity.

They are my heros.
    nobody ever reads student papers. and journos will generally put in anything they can to fill papers. so my advice would have been not to give them anything that you didn't want published.