Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Printers

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I have a feeling my printer is completely knackered. It prints approximately 2 pages per minute (on a good day!), I have to feed each sheet individually or it jams, and it jams regularly for no apparent reason.

I've tried giving it a clean but it wasn't very successful - is this something I can do properly at home, or does it need to be serviced? If it can be a DIY job, what are the things to look out for?

It's a HP P/S/C type jobby, rather large, and blue with a grey top. Can't remember the model.

If this doesn't work, any recommendations for a new one? I'll be buying it in September ish as shouldn't need it much until then, and I'd rather not spend more than £100 on it. Due to my habit of rushing to meet deadlines, quick printing is important, and ideally I'd like another 3 in one thing.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I certainly wouldnt bother taking it any where to be serviced, they'll charge you £50 and then tell you it'll be cheaper to get a new one.

Is it paper thats been sat around on your desk? as if it gets even unnoticeably damp it causes it to stick, other than that, theres not an awful lot you can do, regarding it being really slow, an obvious thing to check would be what print quality you have it set it, ensure its just on Normal or something.

Regarding buying a new one, no recommendations from me, not often i have to print things out, but you'll pick a decent one up for under £50 (and i dont mean the Lexmark efforts that you then need to pay £50 for a set of cartridges for!) for a 3-1 id say you'd easily get one for under £100 still.

Everybody i know uses Epson with good results weather it be for general printing, photo printing or printing on to the face of CDs... One thing to watch with Epson seems to be that if you use cheap 3rd party ink, and use it very very rarely, it clogs the print jets up, but if you do more than a couple of pages a week it shouldn't be an issue.

I have a feeling my printer is completely knackered. It prints approximately 2 pages per minute (on a good day!), I have to feed each sheet individually or it jams, and it jams regularly for no apparent reason.

I've tried giving it a clean but it wasn't very successful - is this something I can do properly at home, or does it need to be serviced? If it can be a DIY job, what are the things to look out for?

It's a HP P/S/C type jobby, rather large, and blue with a grey top. Can't remember the model.

If this doesn't work, any recommendations for a new one? I'll be buying it in September ish as shouldn't need it much until then, and I'd rather not spend more than £100 on it. Due to my habit of rushing to meet deadlines, quick printing is important, and ideally I'd like another 3 in one thing.
    printers are cheap, it's the ink that costs the real money

if yo don't print often and mainly text I'd get a black and white laser printer which you can get for around £50 these days

if you get any printer work out how cheap you can buy the ink first.

I got an Epson D88 and you can get compatibles for it for like £1 to £1.50p each
    I just bought one of these. You should be able to pick on up at your local Tesco for the same price. And my last Epson that I bought 6 years ago still works fine too. In that time, my mum's had 3 different brand printers that've all broken.
    Just DON'T buy a Dell. You can only buy the consumables from Dell directly and the prices are extortionate. HP's are good, Epsom also, personally I'd reccommend Canon. I work in the print industry and Canon's are really the most preferred brand. Also, buy the most expensive printer that you can afford- I saw a colour printer for £30 in the post office the other day which obviously seems like a bargain but cheap printers never ever last.
    highly recommend the canon mp160, has an in built scanner and photocopier, prints really quickly and u can get it online for under £50.
    i got a canon ip4000 just over a year ago, its the most amazing printer ever,
    Dobbin wrote: »
    Just DON'T buy a Dell. You can only buy the consumables from Dell directly and the prices are extortionate. HP's are good, Epsom also, personally I'd reccommend Canon. I work in the print industry and Canon's are really the most preferred brand. Also, buy the most expensive printer that you can afford- I saw a colour printer for £30 in the post office the other day which obviously seems like a bargain but cheap printers never ever last.

My and my friends all bought DELL's but we knew the prices of the ink would be Hoooooge

But we only paid £9.99 for an inkjet fully delivered - we all used it once - refilled the ink by syringe a few times and when it was screwed gave them away. - Disposable printer.
    There you go then.

Sounds like:
    Epsons are good, solid reliable printers with cheap consumables.
    Canons give a fantastic print out quality
    Dell/Lexmark etc... do a job but once the inks ran out... buy another printer since it's literally cheaper in many cases :crazyeyes